IWA CEOs

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

The IWA seem to be going through CEOs like the Tories through Prime Ministers. What's going on?

I was wondering that as well. Even the chairman left recently and Les Etheridge had to step in 

This is the content of the email I received this morning

Sarah Niblock has resigned her position as Chief Executive of the Inland Waterways Association. IWA is extremely fortunate to have the interim support of some highly experienced volunteers who, along with an enthusiastic Trustee team, will cover the position in the short term.

IWA National Chair, Les Etheridge, said “IWA would like to thank Sarah for the very positive contribution she has made during her employment. This will ensure that the very important work to Protect Our Waterways, and our leading role in the Fund Britain's Waterways campaign, will continue to progress without pause. Nearly 90 organisations have now united to lobby and persuade national and local government that the benefits provided to the public by our canals and navigable rivers must be maintained without erosion through lack of investment. Many millions of people rely upon and value our inland waterways, and we must ensure they are protected.”

Sarah Niblock said "It has been a pleasure working with the IWA staff and volunteers, I am appreciative of their professionalism and delighted to have helped to bring about the media impact and strategic input which will serve IWA well in delivering its future campaigns. It became very clear to me that the scale of the challenge facing IWA along with so many other charities is significant in these times. I sincerely wish IWA every success for the next 77 years and beyond.” 

To contact the team please email: ceo@waterways.org.uk.

Kindest Regards,

Les Etheridge, Sue O’Hare & Nick Dybeck

Leadership Team

I have lost my confidence in the trustees of the organisation, it seems to have completely lost its way. I would like to know why the CEO has resigned.

• Horror 1

What has Sarah Niblock done for the waterways?

In June 2023 IWA were proud to welcome her to the post-

We are pleased to announce that Professor Sarah Niblock has joined IWA as our new CEO.

Sarah will have primary responsibility for our long-term strategy as she takes up her role this month. Raised on Merseyside, Sarah is an experienced narrowboater and a qualified helmsman. She has more than 15 years’ senior leadership experience in the university and charity sectors and joins IWA from the UK Council for Psychotherapy where she was Chief Executive.

She is an advisor to Imperial College London’s Climate Cares research project, examining the interconnection between the natural environment and our wellbeing. Sarah was awarded an honorary doctorate in 2022 by Edge Hill University for her contribution to public life and is a visiting professor in counselling psychology at York St John University.

There are those people who seem to be professional rolling stones, which gather more speed outside their competence levels. Is this a case of somebody like that or a person feeling that this was something too hard to accomplish?

It might be also asked if her qualifications in psychology might have been to fathom the depths of the CRT !

Edited by Heartland

On 17/09/2023 at 18:06, Heartland said:

That seems to be a reasonable assumption

Was that not what happened with the last CEO?

Edited to add - FBW seems to be struggling to get 50,000 signing its petition whilst claiming hundreds of thousands of supporters. 

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

This popped up on Facebook 3 days ago and I have nicked it,Sorry John if you are a member here

I have finally found a piece of " management speak" that didn't make me want to get the sharp stick out!
"Seagull manager": Someone who flies in, circles a few times, flaps a lot, shits all over everything, then flies away again...
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately I cannot get to the IWA AGM which is on Saturday because I would like to address some awkward questions to the trustees. I think that they are a load of boring old farts who only care for self grandisement not the good of the organisation and what it stands for!! I won't cancel my membership as this would remove my right to have a say.

17 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Unfortunately I cannot get to the IWA AGM which is on Saturday because I would like to address some awkward questions to the trustees. I think that they are a load of boring old farts who only care for self grandisement not the good of the organisation and what it stands for!! I won't cancel my membership as this would remove my right to have a say.

Get someone to go for you and raise your questions

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For my sins I sat on a couple of committees in my village including the parish council. 

Being somewhat younger than the majority of the committee members, I often felt that I was elected to, what was effectively, an old boys network!

Trying to push for anything new was like trying to get blood from a stone, with the usual brush off "We've been doing it like this for 40 years lad, why do owt new?"

I get the feeling a very similar situation arose here, in fact possible every time someone suggests something 'new.'

Welcome Stevie,

The aspect of those choosing change and finding resistance from the older generation has two facets, Firstly change can be needed to progress and adapt, but secondly without wisdom and experience, change can have disastrous consequences. The way forward may be compromise  and prudent adoption of the new way forward.

On 27/10/2023 at 13:43, Heartland said:

Welcome Stevie,

The aspect of those choosing change and finding resistance from the older generation has two facets, Firstly change can be needed to progress and adapt, but secondly without wisdom and experience, change can have disastrous consequences. The way forward may be compromise  and prudent adoption of the new way forward.

Thank you for the welcome.

From my experience resistance has come from those who flat out refuse to take an organisation forward, preferring to continue wearing rose coloured specs, hankering from some kind of nostalgia.  

The organisations that don't evolve wither and die.

Edited by StevieN
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Chris Lowe said:

I wonder why we need to be using the American CEO tag instead of the British Chairman or managing director.

Less culpability and direct responsibility, why get sued and be responsible when your contract as a CEO gives you get out clauses and golden handshakes.