Old British Waterways Video

JamesFrance

Featured Posts

Jaunty music and a pleasant pace. Done today, that same film would have an awful drum machine-bass racket, over which you would barely hear the narrator as they introduce jump cuts and flashing messages.

Also, on a boat named Responsibility no-one operating the lock wears a life jacket.

I was told that GRP boats shouldn't share a lock with any steel hulled boat. Am I wrong here?

Edited by Puffling

54 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Jaunty music and a pleasant pace. Done today, that same film would have an awful drum machine-bass racket, over which you would barely hear the narrator as they introduce jump cuts and flashing messages.

Also, on a boat named Responsibility no-one operating the lock wears a life jacket.

I was told that GRP boats shouldn't share a lock with any steel hulled boat. Am I wrong here?

You mean just like Canal Boat Diaries and Cruising the Cut? 😉

1 hour ago, Puffling said:

I have shared locks with GRP boats. Best to get the steel boat in first and the the GRP out first if possible i.e. if all the gates can open fully. 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

You mean just like Canal Boat Diaries and Cruising the Cut? 😉

Neither of those is instructional. There seems to be a tendency of assuming a viewer won't pay attention to the message in current instructional videos unless attention-grabbing music is front stage in the mix.

I enjoy Robbie Cumming's guitar pieces, and CTC was fairly stringent about excluding any incidental music, even going so far as to advise that "if you want music with these [the Not a Vlog series of extended cruising diaries], you should put a CD on."

34 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Neither of those is instructional. There seems to be a tendency of assuming a viewer won't pay attention to the message in current instructional videos unless attention-grabbing music is front stage in the mix.

I enjoy Robbie Cumming's guitar pieces, and CTC was fairly stringent about excluding any incidental music, even going so far as to advise that "if you want music with these [the Not a Vlog series of extended cruising diaries], you should put a CD on."

Go on then, give us an awful example -- a proper instructional video from a respectable source (e.g. CART), not a LOOK AT MY VIDEO CLICKBAIT DISASTER from a wannabee blogger... 😉

27 minutes ago, IanD said:

Go on then, give us an awful example -- a proper instructional video from a respectable source (e.g. CART), not a LOOK AT MY VIDEO CLICKBAIT DISASTER from a wannabee blogger... 😉

You do know it's not obligatory to cause all threads on CWDF to descend into a pointless and ridiculous argument don't you? I think we all understand @Puffling sentiment. 

Just now, booke23 said:

You do know it's not obligatory to cause all threads on CWDF to descend into a pointless and ridiculous argument don't you? I think we all understand @Puffling sentiment. 

Yeah, we all understand the "I don't like the yoof" attitude, plenty of it is apparent on CWDF... 😞

There's no need for it, just like many other prejudices -- there are nice people and there are a*seholes in all walks of life, whether they're yoof or grumpy old boaters... 😉

I love the video in the OP. Its brilliant. 

All 3 people on the boat look chilled and having a really Good Time. Boat name also excellent. 

Thats what boating should be about. 

Its a classic and thank you for posting it. 

• Greenie 2

I was upset when they used the same single socket parallel windlass on the tapered spindles as they had used correctly on the granny gear. 

Bad continuity. 

Do hate seeing wrong windlass being used. 

Screenshot_2023-09-11-20-17-41-849_com.android.chrome.jpg.973fba1fd4f1ffef77cd5ffe692cb799.jpg

4:55 in the video. 

That is a welded parallel eye single socket windlass specifically made for the granny gear NOT for the tapered spindles. 

Screenshot_2023-09-11-20-17-44-770_com.android.chrome.jpg.2e9718ad54b686bb1e8bccf08b80d8c1.jpg

This sort of thing contributes to spindle wear over time. 

Very rude !

Responsibility. Interesting name. These days they seem to be named after birds (not Pamela &c but the flying type). 

Whatever date it was before the lift bridge below Banbury lock was removed. That wasn't very long ago though to be fair. 

I didn't like 12:15 where they said the weedhatch needs to be securely refitted but the bloke did a couple of turns apparently without making any effort then put the deck cover back on. 

Sloppy. 

Did look pretty relaxing though and no signs of terribleness. Good way to spend time. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Responsibility. Interesting name. These days they seem to be named after birds (not Pamela &c but the flying type). 

Whatever date it was before the lift bridge below Banbury lock was removed. That wasn't very long ago though to be fair. 

I didn't like 12:15 where they said the weedhatch needs to be securely refitted but the bloke did a couple of turns apparently without making any effort then put the deck cover back on. 

Sloppy. 

Did look pretty relaxing though and no signs of terribleness. Good way to spend time. 

I presumed the real hire boat name had been covered over or not sign written as the black panel would usually have had Alvechurch under the porthole.

• Greenie 1