Anyone identify this engine please?

Kendorr

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But have Vetus ever actually manufactured an engine? Surely they are just marinisers?

Good point. And looking at the OP photo, the side of the heat exchanger is just about visible and there are no signs of the word "Vetus" being cast into it. So perhaps this is actually the same base engine Vetus marinise into their M205 model, but not done by Vetus. 

This would explain the complete absence of the ghastly Vetus yellow paint too. 

I wonder what the little plate fixed to the side of the heat exchanger says on it. 

IMG_20230910_184647.jpg.9ce3bfd53f8442755caa0fcbb00459cf.jpg

If it is a Vetus marinised engine, which seems almost certain, perhaps they originally put a plate on there and later in the game decided to do more clear branding by getting their own name cast into it and painting the whole thing yellow. 

I think the yellow ones are Mitsubishi base units but they may have used something else before that. 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I wonder what the little plate fixed to the side of the heat exchanger says on it. 

IMG_20230910_184647.jpg.9ce3bfd53f8442755caa0fcbb00459cf.jpg

If it is a Vetus marinised engine, which seems almost certain, perhaps they originally put a plate on there and later in the game decided to do more clear branding by getting their own name cast into it and painting the whole thing yellow. 

I think the yellow ones are Mitsubishi base units but they may have used something else before that. 

Whatever it is, it is broadly the same visually as the Vetus M205, so Vetus spares will probably get the OP out of trouble. Although they don't say why they need to identify it. Presumably for maintenance reasons. 

Finding and downloading the Vetus manual for it might be a good move to acquire all the basic info. It might even say what the base engine is. 

7 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

It looks familiar, rather like a Westerbeke 102 which IIRC is heavily based on a Mitsubishi...

Edit

You tube turns thus up

Good find! 

That rocker box (about the only bit of the engine we can really see) looks identical. 

But which Mitsubishi base engine?!

39 minutes ago, MtB said:

Good find! 

That rocker box (about the only bit of the engine we can really see) looks identical. 

But which Mitsubishi base engine?!

In the 80's I had a boat with a Mitsubishi 2 cylinder engine.

The engine was called a "Mini-17" and was 635cc

Tha manual is too large to attach.

The engine came in various configurations and wih differing alternators and gearboxes.

Could it be this ?

Screenshot (2256).png