Anyone identify this engine please?

Kendorr

Featured Posts

• Kendorr changed the title to Anyone identify this engine please?
1 minute ago, Mike Adams said:

I think it is something like a refrigeration unit out of a lorry. Doesn't look anything like a marine unit unless it's a generator

Yes I was wondering something along those lines too. I was thinking there's not actually much on it saying 'marine' specifically other than the Jabso pump. I was looking at that black pipe on the right hand side and thinking the connection onto the engine and the first joint both look like brazing, in the manner of an air con and fridge engineer.

Sabbs and Bukh style engines generally have an exposed flywheel on the front. This one has enclosed flywheel on the back. 

Thanks for replies, sorry I can't give any more info. The engine is in a boat I've been to have a look at today and these were the best pics I was able to take. I couldn't see any labels or names of any sort.

Boat registry is 46872, canalplan gives very little further info, although somebody here may know who used to own 'Tadpole' and I may get some info that way.

33 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Given the colour, bolt heads and the oil cap I would say Japanese possibly old Yanmar?

Also, I think the peeling label on the front of the engine (on the square box thing) might be a data label. Its black with soot or similar (has there been a fire?) Try cleaning it up and see what it says.

16 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Thanks for replies, sorry I can't give any more info. The engine is in a boat I've been to have a look at today and these were the best pics I was able to take. I couldn't see any labels or names of any sort.

Boat registry is 46872, canalplan gives very little further info, although somebody here may know who used to own 'Tadpole' and I may get some info that way.

Tadpole, was a “cut n shut” from an old boat, it’s the front half from what I remember, if it’s the one in the “New Inn” pub carpark. Sold months ago, sold for next to nothing, I think it was on the market for £4K. Was on hard standing at Stannilands for years. If it’s the same one with you being in the area???

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Tadpole, was a “cut n shut” from an old boat, if it’s the one in the “New Inn” pub carpark. Sold a months ago, sold for next to nothing, I think it was on the market for £4K. Was on hard standing at Stannilands for years. If it’s the same one with you being in the area???

No, this one is in Garstang, it's been a long trip there today!!

I've found this pic on an image search, this is from 2010 and was on the Lancaster canal.

2010.jpg

I wonder..........

Could it be a Nanni Diesel 18 hp engine?

6 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Strange name coincidence, as thought you may of looked at it while passing the pub as seen you a few times out, you must of noticed it while passing too👍

I think I must pass and stop at New Inn with my eyes closed, I've never seen it!! Next time out, I'll make sure to have a look though 🙂

3 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I think I must pass and stop at New Inn with my eyes closed, I've never seen it!! Next time out, I'll make sure to have a look though 🙂

Yes it was a few weeks ago, I thought it was going to be turned into a play thing, but apparently it’s to be used for overnight accommodation from what I’m hearing. 

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Looks a bit like a 2 pot Kubota probably a Z482. 

Hmmm. Only a bit 'like' a Z482. rocker box seems to be all wrong.

For a match it needs to be exact!! 

It looks a bit like the engine in Starcoaster's boat. No-one has ever identified that either. No-one on here or out there. 

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Vetus M205 I reckon.

By Jove you appear to have cracked it!

My excuse is the OP saying there are no identifying markings on it anywhere to be found.

Here's a photo of an M205, with more photos in the link:

image.png.36f7017cfc9f6a3dd4b012018925737f.png

https://www.homborg.nl/voorraad/29006821/caterpillar--vetus-m205-7-7-kw---10-5-pk-marine-diesel-motor-met-keerkoppeling

Edited by MtB

58 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It would have been faster to identify if it was bright yellow, but there is a clue - there's a genuine Vetus fuel filter on the pic in the OP.

In addition to the word "VETUS" cast in two inch high letters on the heat exchanger, you mean?

• Haha 1