HVO

Ian Gardiner

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think the problem has been solely price, I think, not only has 'the elephant in the room come home to roost' (what is it made from) but when I spoke with Crown oils they said there just was not enough worldwide capacity (let alone UK capacity) to meet a fraction of demand and the big users, such as construction, would get priority over a'few boaters'.

Construction dont want it because the feedstock is palm oil, environmental agency the same

28 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Construction dont want it because the feedstock is palm oil, environmental agency the same

New Era at least used to say that all of their HVO used waste oils/fats.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

This just popped up on my Facebook page, its from the IWA so you should be able to open it . Some here may know more about it. Leisure boaters move closer to using subsidised biofuel in battle to decarbonise waterways - Inland Waterways

If I understand that correctly then, it essentially means leisure boaters would be able to buy and use red HVO without any usage declaration. I do recall hearing that was one of the issues that some fuel boats/marinas came across when trying to find a supply. Well, that and the limited supply challenge.

4 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

If I understand that correctly then, it essentially means leisure boaters would be able to buy and use red HVO without any usage declaration. I do recall hearing that was one of the issues that some fuel boats/marinas came across when trying to find a supply. Well, that and the limited supply challenge.

Hope so because the one marina that I purchased HVO from in the past sold white HVO.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Crown oil say this

image.png.8b8e5de1fba3fd93502ede1f636462ab.png

Renewable perhaps. Sustainable perhaps not.

From New Era: "...made from 100% ISCC certified waste products. The waste fats and vegetable oils..." so I suppose they each have different sources. I wonder whether New Era pay a premium to secure those waste products, whereas others just going for renewable might have lower supply costs.

2 hours ago, PeterF said:

Hope so because the one marina that I purchased HVO from in the past sold white HVO.

If they get the option of buying red to supply, I'm sure they would. That's what their customers will be wanting.

2 hours ago, Lady M said:

Guidance on duty rates for HVO used in boats will presumably have to come from HMRC.  

I reckon it will be the same - I don't think diesel and HVO are currently treated differently in terms of the rates https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-rebated-fuels-in-vehicles-and-machines-excise-notice-75. Presumably they would just be adding another exception for private pleasure craft specifically for HVO and propulsion.

Edited by Ewan123

Palm nuts are a fruit too..........latest green fantasy is oil from acacia seeds .........I may be planting a hectare of oil palms ......claimed yield is 8 ton./ha ..........in the islands they often use coconut oil neat which works OK provided you dont get cold days (unlikely in equatorial zones )...........the catch with raw oils is they tend to produce gummy decomposition residues which demand frequent oil changes.

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Oil prices still going down regardless of big production cuts! Unless of course huge amounts of Russian oil is sneaking onto the market?

Surprising really given that there is a temp. 'blockade' in the Red sea..

4 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

They say the moon is made of green cheese, but I don't believe that either. A major Finnish company makes it in Rotterdam I believe it also has another arm in Singapore buying up waste oil and palm oil, so you know what's going into HVO 

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

Surprising really given that there is a temp. 'blockade' in the Red sea..

Russia has a very large fleet of oil tankers delivering to China, India, Pakistan, North Korea etc. I wonder how much is washed and sent back elsewhere?

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They say the moon is made of green cheese, but I don't believe that either. A major Finnish company makes it in Rotterdam I believe it also has another arm in Singapore buying up waste oil and palm oil, so you know what's going into HVO 

Russia has a very large fleet of oil tankers delivering to China, India, Pakistan, North Korea etc. I wonder how much is washed and sent back elsewhere?

Not sure but wouldn't it all still need to come to us via. the Red Sea/Suez Canal?

Which is what should be driving the price up not down.

Says in the media that a large british petroleum company is supplying its Australian network with Russian sourced product via a string of Indian subsidiaries..........technically a breach of sanctions ........but insulated by a complex  network of Indian companies.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, MJG said:

Not sure but wouldn't it all still need to come to us via. the Red Sea/Suez Canal?

Which is what should be driving the price up not down.

Northern Sea Route? Ice melting changes the game over time. In the not too distant future Suez might go obsolete anyway. 

20180929_wom941.png