Hello everyone!

truckcab79

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, nealeST said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/narrow-boats-traditional-for-sale/742526

Well they do pop up... as if by magic. Now if I had the cash I'd be first in the line for this one, yes epoxied. I just wouldn't hesitate. This is my latest crush...❤️

Has it actually ever been in the water though 😄

• Greenie 1

Reminds me of a similar boat we took a family holiday on in the 80’s. Baptism of fire and totally brilliant. Agreed a charming boat and thanks for sharing was nice to see. The best of luck with your adventure. Wished I was ready to take the plunge.

First  narrow boat I looked at with a view to buying was a Springer 36 with a Sabb in it. 

1994. I bought a Hancock and Lane Marlin 30ft which admittedly was a little small.  

Happy days. 

Have fun with a cool boat = Good Idea. 

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

She is a charming boat. Can understand the attraction. 👍

Thanks. Pretty much the first thing we saw (second actually but the first one was next to it and pretty rotten for much the same money). Felt ‘too soon’ and we aren’t really prepared but then thought ‘sod it’. We can afford it (not meant in a flashy or flippant way), without it destroying us if within reason something goes wrong like the engine packing up in a week and mostly just ‘if not now, then when’. 

Not even sure when we get it yet.  Annoyingly the seller is delivering it within the price to the Marina that we’re mooring at but the marina it’s going to can’t crane it so I’ve got to crane it back in half way between the two and cruise it down.  Be nice to do so but at the same time I’m scared stiff. 😂

48 minutes ago, nealeST said:

Reminds me of a similar boat we took a family holiday on in the 80’s. Baptism of fire and totally brilliant. Agreed a charming boat and thanks for sharing was nice to see. The best of luck with your adventure. Wished I was ready to take the plunge.

Just do it. We’re not ready either but you’re a long time dead.  

Edited by truckcab79
  • Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Thanks. Pretty much the first thing we saw (second actually but the first one was next to it and pretty rotten for much the same money). Felt ‘too soon’ and we aren’t really prepared but then thought ‘sod it’. We can afford it (not meant in a flashy or flippant way), without it destroying us if within reason something goes wrong like the engine packing up in a week and mostly just ‘if not now, then when’. 

Not even sure when we get it yet.  Annoyingly the seller is delivering it within the price to the Marina that we’re mooring at but the marina it’s going to can’t crane it so I’ve got to crane it back in half way between the two and cruise it down.  Be nice to do so but at the same time I’m scared stiff. 😂

Just do it. We’re not ready either but you’re a long time dead.  

Winkwell to Harefield is only a couple of days of very nice boating if the weather is good. It gets more dodgy as winter approaches with weather and stoppages.

Maybe three days if you like.

You seem to be implying that there is a road transport thing going on here. 

Or is the broker selling a remote boat and if so where do you have to get it to and from?

Road transport can add a lot to the costs. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Winkwell to Harefield is only a couple of days of very nice boating if the weather is good. It gets more dodgy as winter approaches with weather and stoppages.

Maybe three days if you like.

You seem to be implying that there is a road transport thing going on here. 

Or is the broker selling a remote boat and if so where do you have to get it to and from?

Road transport can add a lot to the costs. 

It’s coming from Hemel to Harefield.  They offered to deliver it in the price.  I had assumed they would cruise it down due to cost of transport as you say. However they have their own crane and truck I believe so broadly speaking it just costs them a few hours that way.  Unfortunately Harefield can’t crane it off, so the nearest is Croxley Green so it’ll have to be craned in there and cruised down by us to Harefield.  

Only additional cost is the crane at Croxley. But if they had always intended to truck it down I’d have paid the crane at Harefield anyway.  

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its an odd setup given how close Winkwell is to Harefield by water.

P&S are not cheap.

I don't understand what is going on here. 

Not sure I know what you mean.  Winkwell is very near Hemel but nowhere near Harefield.  Croxley Green is very near Harefield.  Harefield marina told me P&S at Croxley were nearest crane and independently Hemel found the same info.  If they took it to Winkwell I might as well cruise it down from Hemel.  

Unless I’m missing something. Which is quite likely.  

Edited by truckcab79

Winkwell is a couple of days boating away from Harefield. 

CanalplanAC, which is usually pretty accurate put it as just over 11 hours. 

It is not far. 

I wonder if there is a liability thing going on here. They don't want to crane it in for some reason. 

Screenshot_2023-09-07-00-12-09-434_com.android.chrome.jpg.6309a68ed92630a026e7a371f3149c96.jpg

"Hemel Marina" is the same thing as Winkwell. 

Edited by magnetman

Yes but nobody would road a boat that distance. Winkwell (Hemel Marina) to Croxley is about 15 miles by road and also 15 miles by canal. 

There is no reason to be moving the boat by road and involving cranes unless the canal is closed. 

Nobody would do that. 

Are they saying that road transport and crane back in is cheaper than 2 days of boat mover work? 

6 miles is less than 15. Are we talking about the same places?  

No. They’re  saying that they don’t have anyone free to cruise the boat for a day or two but they do have a crane and a truck and 3 hours. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Yes but nobody would road a boat that distance. Winkwell (Hemel Marina) to Croxley is about 15 miles by road and also 15 miles by canal. 

There is no reason to be moving the boat by road and involving cranes unless the canal is closed. 

Nobody would do that. 

Are they saying that road transport and crane back in is cheaper than 2 days of boat mover work? 

I presume it is if they own a crane and a truck.   🤷‍♂️ 

Crane back in is my cost. They just said they’d deliver for free.  Not crane it in.  I do intend to offer to pay someone’s wages for a day when I call them to discuss dates as it’s probably cheaper for me that rhe crane at Croxley. And less hassle than days off work etc.  but it is what it is.  

Yes. 

You don't move a 36ft canal boat by road for 15 miles when there is a canal which follows exactly the same route. 

Either the canal is closed and they know this or the yard where the boat is being purchased do not want to put it in the water. 

Maybe they can't put it in the water? 

I suppose if it came by road originally they might not have the facility to put it in the water.

OK. 

Understand what you’re saying and I’d prefer it that way. Much less hassle for me.  

Don’t  think there’s any issue with putting it in the water.  It was on the water when we viewed it and they lifted it for the survey yesterday so putting it back in if it isn’t already I can’t see being an issue. 

Entirely possible they think the engine won’t last the trip for all I know but thats the chance you take with second hand old cars and boats I suppose.  

I know P&S marine is run by the new generation now but I wouldn't touch them. They badly ripped me off in about 2005 and I'll never forget it. Not related to boat lifts it was a steelwork job and it was the old boys who are now retired but they were sharp operators and I would not be giving them a positive review on trustpilot. 

Right buggers. I think the younger Pattle lad is better to be fair. 

Anyway I think you should get Winkwell/Hemel to put the boat in the water and then you shift it by canal one way or another.

Its a nice trip. Baptism of fire maybe but if you want to do canal boating that is a nice place to learn the ropes and survive terrible breakdowns. 

I suppose if the boat doesn't work there is an argument for road transport but then you have extra cost to get the boat working so you are getting into excessive costs. 

It depends what you want to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Re overplating… just to give you our example: 39’ flat bottom narrow boat with major wear on the bottom, seller (by then a boat yard) and examiner agreed to full replate at their expense.

1. you asked about weight. They did the overplating and put the boat back in, but in the shallows on the mud at the edge of their marina, which was our mooring. But even off the mud we could barely move. Long story short, removing I can’t remember how many ballast bricks was hard. And we’re still a bit low in the water, though we have got round most of the system since then. If springers are lighter you’ll presumably have less ballast to remove. Compare weight of overplating to weight of ballast to see if it’s even possible.

2. we had a couple of problems with the welding, the second of which almost completely sank the boat. Tbf this was 2 years later, and occurred following a pressure wash and blacking. But the reason was because they’d burnt a tiny bit of weld, which sat there carbonised until washed away by the power wash. Blacking didn’t quite seal it, and we were lucky to come back bang on the 14 days, with water lapping over the new hardwood floor! So enquire around about competence.

I have a horrible feeling that this is all going to end in tears.  For the distance involved you could bow haul it. Do they not trust that it will still float after welding? I have seen a Springer that was crushed by the lifting strops, it sank.

Be very very careful with a short boat and overplating. There was little ballast in Springers and I do know of one that was overplated  and never went back in the water because they could not achieve adequate freeboard afterwards. It sat in a shed at Market Drayton for years.

• Greenie 1

I think this just highlights the london premium - only a couple of weeks ago I looked at a lovely liverpool boats 36 footer for sale in the north west asking £18K, would have taken 16K i'm sure.  fully fitted out ready to go blacked 2 years ago by a reputable yard.    tidy boat, personally didn't like the olive green paint job but that could have been sorted easily. 

it was north of watford gap so the londoners would have needed their passports.  But does show its worth looking around further afield. That was a private sale not a broker so would only have been spotted by walking the tow path.  I know of a 'project' 50 something footer, with a newly fitted recon beta, but pretty much stripped out, asking price an optimistic £30K, might get it for nearer £20k. That would need a hull survey as it doesnlt look like its been blacked for yonks. 

I know that doesn't help the OP but might be food for thought for others. 

20230730_144414.jpg

Not sure where the talk of welding has come from as we had a great hull survey and no welding at all required as I’ve detailed on the forum.  

All seems very doom and gloom on here to be honest. Maybe you all own £250k boats that you don’t  work on yourselves.?  

We’re happy with what we’ve paid.  Boat is currently having the engine sorted so it starts and runs reliably. That’s all I’m expecting of and contractually that’s  what they’ve agreed to in the price.   I buy old cars and there’s no guarantees with those either.  Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you end up spending far more than it’s worth.

I’m not buying this as an investment. It’s a hobby and hobbies are expensive,  and you don’t get your money back. Same as holidays, smoking, booze and a million and one other things.  You need to worry less and take a few risks. Life is short. Sometimes a lot shorter than you know.  

• Greenie 2

I still think you should cruise it back to Harefield on the canal rather than using road transport. 

I know it seems convenient but you would be missing a really good boat trip. 

Life is too long to consider road transport unless it is absolutely necessary. 

I've had 3 boats road transported over the 29 yars of living on boats. One was Whitby to Wargrave on Thames (alternative was a coastal trip which to be fair might have been very nice). Second one was Wigan to Wargrave on Thames (no wide canal link north to south) and the third one was Boston Lincs to Reading on Thames. Boat had been decommissioned for a number of yars so was an unknown quantity. 

Hemel to Harefield by road sounds crazy to me.