Hello everyone!

truckcab79

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Not sure where the talk of welding has come from as we had a great hull survey and no welding at all required as I’ve detailed on the forum.  

All seems very doom and gloom on here to be honest. Maybe you all own £250k boats that you don’t  work on yourselves.?  

We’re happy with what we’ve paid.  Boat is currently having the engine sorted so it starts and runs reliably. That’s all I’m expecting of and contractually that’s  what they’ve agreed to in the price.   I buy old cars and there’s no guarantees with those either.  Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you end up spending far more than it’s worth.

I’m not buying this as an investment. It’s a hobby and hobbies are expensive,  and you don’t get your money back. Same as holidays, smoking, booze and a million and one other things.  You need to worry less and take a few risks. Life is short. Sometimes a lot shorter than you know.  

Totally agree with your philosophy. I buy a boat because I like it. Once I've bought it, I deal with (or live with) the problems and there are always plenty, probably just like you do with the old cars. And boats too, its looking like! 

No such thing as a perfect boat. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Totally agree with your philosophy. I buy a boat because I like it. Once I've bought it, I deal with (or live with) the problems and there are always plenty, probably just like you do with the old cars. And boats too, its looking like! 

Thank you for understanding.  

No offence intended to anyone.  I think it’s  a forum thing. I’m on a few. Land rovers, hot rods, guns, various trade. They’re all much the same.  Ask a question and you’ll get 10 answers. Mostly from the same people every time. And 9 of the answers will be ‘ooh. You don’t want to do that’. 😂

54 minutes ago, MtB said:

Me too. I bought mine cheap out of Exchange & Mart, needed a fair bit of work which me and some expert friends did. It's an old tub with an old engine, I liked it when I saw it thirty years back and I still do, two bottoms and a total refit later. Extremely good toy.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Me too. I bought mine cheap out of Exchange & Mart, needed a fair bit of work which me and some expert friends did. It's an old tub with an old engine, I liked it when I saw it thirty years back and I still do, two bottoms and a total refit later. Extremely good toy.

Thats the spirit.  👍 

……and Exchange and Mart. That brings back memories. 😂

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I still think you should cruise it back to Harefield on the canal rather than using road transport. 

I know it seems convenient but you would be missing a really good boat trip. 

Life is too long to consider road transport unless it is absolutely necessary. 

I've had 3 boats road transported over the 29 yars of living on boats. One was Whitby to Wargrave on Thames (alternative was a coastal trip which to be fair might have been very nice). Second one was Wigan to Wargrave on Thames (no wide canal link north to south) and the third one was Boston Lincs to Reading on Thames. Boat had been decommissioned for a number of yars so was an unknown quantity. 

Hemel to Harefield by road sounds crazy to me. 

It probably is to be honest but with an unknown engine I’d rather do 3.5 hours from Croxley than 11 from Hemel.   Just a shame Harefield can’t lift it then they would have just taken it direct. 

I’ve got so much work on currently it would be a massive inconvenience and cost to take two days out to cruise the boat down. As much as I’d enjoy it. Cost of cranage is huge at  Croxley also but I keep

telling myself that all of this stuff is just part of the initial cost of buying the boat. 

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Cost of cranage is huge at  Croxley also but I keep

telling myself that all of this stuff is just part of the initial cost of buying the boat. 

Another possibility is to employ one of the several professional boat movers on the forum to bring it down instead of paying for cranes and lorry.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Another possibility is to employ one of the several professional boat movers on the forum to bring it down instead of paying for cranes and lorry.

Funnily enough I’d been in touch with someone on Facebook who knew a previous owner and who thought they might be willing to move it.  Not heard back yet though. 

Where on the forum would I find someone or ask?  

Many thanks. 

Just now, truckcab79 said:

Funnily enough I’d been in touch with someone on Facebook who knew a previous owner and who thought they might be willing to move it.  Not heard back yet though. 

Where on the forum would I find someone or ask?  

Many thanks. 

Those I can think of on the spur of the moment are Cpt. Pegg, noddyboater, Matty40s, and there are others who may well PM you directly, or add themselves to this brief list! 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Those I can think of on the spur of the moment are Cpt. Pegg, noddyboater, Matty40s, and there are others who may well PM you directly, or add themselves to this brief list! 

Great. 

Is there a section of the forum I can post an ‘ad’ in that they and others may see?  

And another: Nigel Carton

2 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Is there a section of the forum I can post an ‘ad’ in that they and others may see?

Dunno, but most will see a new thread in "General Boating" titled something like "Boat mover wanted"