Narrowboat Toilets

robtheplod

Narrowboat Toilets  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If you were buying another narrowboat, which toilet(s) would you look for?

• Cassette
    • Pumpout
    • Compost
  2. 2. Again, buying another narrowboat, which toilet(s) would put you off buying?

• Cassette
    • Pumpout
    • Compost

Featured Posts

Its a pretty dodgy setup if someone gets the wrong drain.

I may as well be straightforward the lavender boat I saw was discharging it into this place beside the North Circular aqueduct on the Paddington Arm. 

Interesting to note the recent works there showing up on the towpath and the aqueduct centre part as well as the offside. Presumably an effluent drain for the factory opposite. I imagine the water board will have become aware and secured the area somehow. This was a number of yars ago I observed the behaviour. 

On the other hand they may have had permission. 

Take peoples money to empty their boat lavatory tanks then dump it in a sewer. Hmm. Not too sure on that one ! 

Screenshot_2023-08-27-15-07-40-987_com.google.android_apps_maps.jpg.e91acdae19ad447dc311500d8276bfae.jpg

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is.

When "Septic Sid" (actually cesspool Sid) used to empty our tank it was £150 and it went to be used (injected) into agricultural land, when the laws were changed such that the tankers could now only unload at certain MAIN sewage treatment plants (because 'local' sewage works would be overwhelmed by a tanker load) in means a Journey of 30 miles each way, plus the new 'discharge' cost. The last time we had it emptied it had gone to over £350.

cache_232625.jpg?t=1476289163

Sid Tempest, pictured above, began emptying septic tanks for the Lincolnshire County Council and in 1989 decided to go it alone and become 'Cesspool Sid'.  He was well known for his funny number plates ("Loo Two" and "Turd Taxi") and his witty adverts in the local paper which read:

"Cesspool Sid is my name,

Emptying cesspools is my game,  

When you're full and overflowing,

Send for Sid and he gets you going,

Cesspool Sid is still about,

So let him come and clean you out!".

We have Kit the sh*t and I think his charge is £300 now as well

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have Kit the sh*t and I think his charge is £300 now as well

That reminded me, our tank is due for emptying this year. We have 'Jeanette the Jet'. Last time we had it done a couple of years ago it was £140, looking at the invoice.

Even if it's gone up it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than mains, given we don't pay the sewerage part of the water rates to South West Water.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

That reminded me, our tank is due for emptying this year. We have 'Jeanette the Jet'. Last time we had it done a couple of years ago it was £140, looking at the invoice.

Even if it's gone up it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than mains, given we don't pay the sewerage part of the water rates to South West Water.

It is until you have a water leak on 'your side of the meter'

Whilst we were away in Scotland the gardener phoned and said there was a 'wet patch' in the car-park, anyway he dug down and found the leak.

reading the meter showed that we had 'lost' about £1500 of water. (We had a similar leak when we lived in Wales and one-day of leakage cost us over £1000 20 years ago)

No problem (I thinks) you can claim a 'Leakage Allowance' from the supply company for any water that has 'run to ground' and not gone into the main drains.

Not quite so - because we are not connected to the mains drains (we have our own sewage treatment plant) we do not pay the drainage element of the water rates. This means that we cannot claim.

• Horror 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is until you have a water leak on 'your side of the meter'

Whilst we were away in Scotland the gardener phoned and said there was a 'wet patch' in the car-park, anyway he dug down and found the leak.

reading the meter showed that we had 'lost' about £1500 of water. (We had a similar leak when we lived in Wales and one-day of leakage cost us over £1000 20 years ago)

No problem (I thinks) you can claim a 'Leakage Allowance' from the supply company for any water that has 'run to ground' and not gone into the main drains.

Not quite so - because we are not connected to the mains drains (we have our own sewage treatment plant) we do not pay the drainage element of the water rates. This means that we cannot claim.

We had a burst pipe at work, all weekend it leaked the bill was horrendous! The garage was leasehold so buildings insurance covered the lot! The agent tried all ways to get out of paying but Yorkshire water threatened to sue them if they didn't pass the claim onto the insurance company! Also the cleanup wasnt cheap which they had to pay

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Used to operate in Anderson Marina in the 80's and 90's.

Brilliant 

6 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Whilst possibly an acceptable word to describe "excrement" - the one's who are stirring are those who keep repeating the word...

for those that remember Usenet days 

Fuvg