Narrowboat Toilets

robtheplod

Narrowboat Toilets  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If you were buying another narrowboat, which toilet(s) would you look for?

• Cassette
    • Pumpout
    • Compost
  2. 2. Again, buying another narrowboat, which toilet(s) would put you off buying?

• Cassette
    • Pumpout
    • Compost

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Please explain exactly how this self pump out boater on the moorings blocked the Elsan pit at Eastwood.

No idea as it's not a problem to me, but it was a problem to everyone on these moorings and Eastwood moorings plus papers by that used it! More than likely because most of the boats up there are proper boats it would have been a big tank and sheer volume swamped it out!

You have seen magnetmans post it's not allowed so what's the issue? I got rid of my boat with pump out as it was a problem 

I have never met an inattentive pumper, but I have seen the results of many dirty cassette dumpers.

Completely shredded waste from a pumper will block nothing, lumps, wipes, nappies, yellow caps, tin cans, bottles, sanitary towels, condoms, pads, tampons, food waste etc. which can be dumped into a cassette will block up even main drains.

I have found blockages caused by all of these and more.

Self pump out boaters are doing the world a favour because they do not dispose of such things into the sewer system. 

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No idea as it's not a problem to me, but it was a problem to everyone on these moorings and Eastwood moorings plus passers by that used it! More than likely because most of the boats up there are proper boats it would have been a big tank and sheer volume swamped it out!

You have seen magnetmans post it's not allowed so what's the issue? I got rid of my boat with pump out as it was a problem 

Fixed "papers" for you, it was confusing.   😋

I have no issue with pumping out.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

(snip)

I too have seen signs saying no pump outs on Elsan pits that are on main drainage because they have a lavatory adjoining. Why is a mystery.

(snip)

Our "local" pump out used to pump straight into the Foul Water drain. However, the flow was sufficient to pull the water out of the "U" bends in the adjoining (downstream) toilet and laundry block. It now empties into a tank. Personally, I don't see why the tank can't be emptied slowly into the drain, but the effluent is removed by tanker.

15 hours ago, peterboat said:

I can compost easily I suppose, the problem is when as is happening elan points close are become unavailable due to blockages! Sometimes by self pump outs which I have seen 

... and sometimes by the emptying of "compost" loos.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Most of them I was told were blocked by the yellow caps off cassettes falling into the funnel.  Seems that they are a perfect fit into a 110mm waste pipe.

Seen more blocked by the grey sliding top cover, don't know why Thetford don't change the design so it slides and stays attached. At £10 for a replacement I image it’s a best seller.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

But what does it attach to? As it’s often the pump/flexi pipe joints that leak effluent all over. Please show the full set up in use.

Probably layflat hose which is good for 8 bar pressure. My pump and connections don't leak, are you speaking from your own experience?

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Probably layflat hose which is good for 8 bar pressure. My pump and connections don't leak, are you speaking from your own experience?

No I use Thetford cassette and wouldn’t have a Pumpout or Composting. What I’ve see with poorly joined pipework and bad fitting jubilee clips/seals.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

I still think there is a market for an instant freeze compressed air app controlled mortar tube arrangement or possibly a cannon. 

Programmable for approxinate  distance and compass angle with wind input and google satellite overlay of approximate landing area subject to barometric pressure calculations.

The external hardware could be disguised as an automatic satellite dish which only opens up and acquires a target when requested by the app or closure of the lavatory lid via a reed switch sensor. 

There will be a sub menu where one can select and target irritating idiots running the engine in the night time using an array of directional microphone sensors. 

• Haha 1

Its blackmaiI.  PO users have to pay but Elsan users don't.  They don't because a significant %age of cassette users would then tip them out under the hedgerows etc instead of paying up.  PO users have practical difficulties in finding a hedge big enough so they have to pay.  When I'm PM, all facilities on the canal system will have a resident live-in manager, manned  (or womaned) by an immigrant from the cheapest country I can find, who will take payment for all the services offered including cassette emptying.  Those facilities eg Elsan blocks that don't have space for the additional accommodation (a 20ft container) required will be closed.  Anyone emptying  their cassettes under a hedge or similar will be expatriated to a country not of their choice on Air Wagner and their boat sold.

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I still think it is remarkable how complicated humans get about a daily output you can easily hold in your hand. 

Not confusing it with dog walking? Now that would be something, overflowing bins of bagged human waste! Won't be long before dog bins are flagged up for excess plastic bags needing an environmentally friendly alternative.

There is an automatic bagging lavatory on the market but never ever put the bags in dog bins. 

Those bins are for people who have waste dogs they want to get rid of. 

Remember that some dogs can be quite large. 

Humans should be burning their solid output as it provides energy. 

It is remarkable to note that in a properly designed burner moist organic material, including green wood split to sensible sizes, burns hotter than dry stuff. 

Also the idea of bagging dog shit was developed by clever dogs deliberately leaving deposits in bad places because they think it will help preserve their DNA for after the Nuclear Wars. 

Similar thing with cat food tins with ringpulls. These were designed by cats. They would have no chance of getting into the ones where you need a tin opener. 

Listen the the animals.

They know what they are doing. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lady C said:

In general, PO users pay for a service whereby someone else pumps their shit out.  There are a few places where a charge is levied for cassette emptying but that is without any service element.

In my general understanding, they're paying for the use and maintenance of the suction device which pumps the effluent out, by applying a vacuum. And the larger bore of the equipment to deal with that, at the rate and quantity. Additionally a portion of pump out providers also provide the service of a person actually operating the machine, since some boaters treat it like a hotel/hire boat where they deny the existence of the stuff once the toilet is flushed.