AC cables for DC cables

Woodylog

Featured Posts

It's a good idea for your 240v cable runs not to look identical to your 12v (or 24v)  cable runs.

It is going to be far bulkier, and undoubtedly more expensive, using Arctic for low voltage.  There is far more insulation both on each conductor, and on the overall cable than would be normal with the low voltage cable types. You would need extra space because of the unsuitable cable type.

Arctic is always 3 conductors (I believe).  You don't need the third (earth) conductor for low voltage use.

19 minutes ago, Woodylog said:

just wondering if anyone knows a technical reason to not use arctic flex for low wattage DC appllications

Yes, in doing so you will mark yourself forevermore as a rank amateur! 

Sorry that's not a technical reason...🤣

What's the problem in using the correct cable?

To answer your question, there is no technical reason not to, current is current and the cable really does not care about AC and DC, but as said, there are safety and regulation problems plus some waste of space and money.

Actually there are some AC/DC issues but these kick in at frequencies much much higher than 50Hz. 😀

Stuff that for a game of soldiers, especially if the cables ever short out and fuse inside the Copex. I would rather use the clip top conduit used for exposed wiring in houses so you get relatively easy access in the future. Unless you have the AC and DC running together, I don't think you need conduit for the DC circuits. I used zip ties and the little plastic screw in zip tie fixing as about 100 mm spacing.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, MtB said:

Point of order!

That's Kopex not copex!

If you do use mains cable for DC, please use appropriately coloured heatshrink sleeving on the terminations to avoid confusion.

It is also a good idea to label the outer insulation periodically to ease identification.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

If you do use mains cable for DC, please use appropriately coloured heatshrink sleeving on the terminations to avoid confusion.

It is also a good idea to label the outer insulation periodically to ease identification.

It's a much better idea not to use it.

If the OP wants double insulated 2.5 cable it does exist even with the correct colours

https://www.camperlands.co.uk/12volt-cable-2x2.5mm-core-cable.html

It's not difficult to type into google

2.5 red black cable

It will bring you back other results 

Edited by GUMPY

21 hours ago, Woodylog said:

Cheers all 

I was trying to save running copex all the way down the boat as the DC is single insulated 

I get the point of mixing colours etc , so I will order the singles and run the DC in copex

Gutted do enjoy a good bodge job 😂

Double insulated cable in the appropriate red/black colours are a thing. https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/stranded-multi-core-plain-copper-cable.html

Since you want to be running the 0V return back for each load, then these twin core cables are ideal. Lots of it on my boat.

20 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

It's a much better idea not to use it.

If the OP wants double insulated 2.5 cable it does exist even with the correct colours

https://www.camperlands.co.uk/12volt-cable-2x2.5mm-core-cable.html

It's not difficult to type into google

2.5 red black cable

It will bring you back other results 

I agree that best practice is to use the appropriate DC cable, but if the OP has already purchased the arctic cable and is reluctant to purchase DC cable, then I was suggesting how to ensure it could not be mistaken for an AC cable.

40 minutes ago, Woodylog said:

That's only 1.5mm, not really thick enough.