62' Boats

Fidelity

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, davem399 said:

That’s something I not heard before.  Ours is a Reeves with corner bath, so perhaps we’ve got the extra foot!  We’ve never been anywhere on the system with the shorter locks, so we haven’t had to lift fenders to fit in locks.

You’d have to ask Philip Duerden, that’s who told me about it when i quizzed him about any old info on Streamline, it may only have been the boats built/launched in 1999. I never did get to pacing it out to see for myself. She’s still berthed at Dunchurch so i might wander down the pontoons on Friday for a squizz unless she’s out, and if J will give me time off for good behaviour :D 

Unfortunately the OP doesn't say what the boat will be used for (permanent liveaboard? leisure with a house to live in?) but we had a 68' with a good efficient layout and simply didn't use the front bedroom area for anything, so it could have been 8-9' shorter and we'd not have suffered. Now we have a 58' - in a less efficient layout - and its fine but we make use of all the space. 

Its obvious to say, but if you're out cruising a whole day, finding a mooring at the end of the day will be simpler with a shorter boat than a longer one - many times, we have found a mooring that could accommodate up to (say) 62'.

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

A barbeque installed on top of the gas locker! 

That seems a Bad Idea, but I can see why they did it....

Depends on the bbq grill. We have a Safire grill bbq which is similar to the Cobb Bbq and if we use it on the grass bank it does not leave a mark. Says you can use it on painted surfaces but have not tried.  Used it on a wooden table and again no burn mark

Definitely shows the boat's priority is remaining static for long periods of time, rather than cruising. Access to the front line must be awkward even when the barbeque has cooled down, or is removed. Not as bad as the boats with no front doors, but not far off!! 

20 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Definitely shows the boat's priority is remaining static for long periods of time, rather than cruising. Access to the front line must be awkward even when the barbeque has cooled down, or is removed. Not as bad as the boats with no front doors, but not far off!! 

What!! And cratch boards and loaded hulls 

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

What!! And cratch boards and loaded hulls 

Its got to be a complete PITA mooring one. With a "conventional" arrangement, even if you couldn't get in/out the front, at least you could get the boat vaguely to the edge at the front and get on it, lean over and either carry the rope or throw it to the bank, then get off again (the boat will probably have drifted out by then) but that's no bother jumping off.

With the only access from the bankside, you'd need to get the boat perfectly stationary, then even leaning over you can't lean on the boat because it would push it away and then its splashy time. Then looping it back on and tying it on the boat......etc etc

It would put me off moving and mooring it up with any regularity. 

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

Its got to be a complete PITA mooring one. With a "conventional" arrangement, even if you couldn't get in/out the front, at least you could get the boat vaguely to the edge at the front and get on it, lean over and either carry the rope or throw it to the bank, then get off again (the boat will probably have drifted out by then) but that's no bother jumping off.

With the only access from the bankside, you'd need to get the boat perfectly stationary, then even leaning over you can't lean on the boat because it would push it away and then its splashy time. Then looping it back on and tying it on the boat......etc etc

It would put me off moving and mooring it up with any regularity. 

spose that is why working boats died out

Where would you measure to get an accurate length? Waterline or bow to stern? I seem to remember that sea going sailing yachts used to measure waterline when upright, I sometimes crewed on a "Dragon", when heeled over the hull length in the water increased by about six feet because of the hull shape.

47 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Where would you measure to get an accurate length? Waterline or bow to stern? I seem to remember that sea going sailing yachts used to measure waterline when upright, I sometimes crewed on a "Dragon", when heeled over the hull length in the water increased by about six feet because of the hull shape.

Without wishing to sound facetious, I would think from the bit that sticks out furthest at each end. Think in terms of fitting in a lock, or fitting boats along linear mooring spaces. So that would generally between the end of each fender I expect.

Traditionally narrow boats were measured on the maximum hull length, excluding the rudder, on the basis that a traditional motor or butty rudder can be turned through 90 degrees in a tight lock. But CRT's licencing requirements refer to the overall length including any projecting rudder and bow and stern fenders, and linear moorings really need to be allocated on the same basis.

40 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Traditionally narrow boats were measured on the maximum hull length, excluding the rudder, on the basis that a traditional motor or butty rudder can be turned through 90 degrees in a tight lock. But CRT's licencing requirements refer to the overall length including any projecting rudder and bow and stern fenders, and linear moorings really need to be allocated on the same basis.

So lots of people are travelling around on under-licenced boats as often the builder states the size of the boat. So everyone registers and licenses it to that length. Not to the length with fenders. What happens when you remove your fenders or add a fender, have you got to inform CaRT that your boat has grown or shrunk into a different license fee length bracket? Sounds a bit daft to include removable objects to get a solid length.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

CRT's definition of boat length, in the licence T&Cs, says: ‘Boat Length’ means the length overall of the Boat. This includes permanently fixed fenders as reasonably needed to be used when the Boat is moored or moving. It also includes any bowsprits, boarding ladders, davits including their loads, out drives, rudders, anchors, pulpits, push pits and any other extensions of the Boat.

So removable fenders do not count.

2 hours ago, manxmike said:

Yachts are measured stem to stern, and as marinas charge per foot there maybe some merit in having a sliding bowsprit.

Waterline length is really a measure of potential speed, trimerans being a prime example

44 minutes ago, Lady C said:

CRT's definition of boat length, in the licence T&Cs, says: ‘Boat Length’ means the length overall of the Boat. This includes permanently fixed fenders as reasonably needed to be used when the Boat is moored or moving. It also includes any bowsprits, boarding ladders, davits including their loads, out drives, rudders, anchors, pulpits, push pits and any other extensions of the Boat.

So removable fenders do not count.

Thanks for verifying it refers to permanent fenders, the other post just referred to fenders, thought it was a bit strange to include removable objects to get boat length, obviously solid permanent attachments inc fenders will be part of length as stipulated 👍

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

Ours is 58'6". The C&H was fine, with care and going Katy corner up. But you had to be aware of the walkway. I think ours is comfortably a go anywhere size, without restricting living accommodation. 🤔