Black stove paint recommendations

Featured Posts

Rustins do a good one for brushing. AFAIK it only comes in black.

Screwfix do a spray can in black.

Sperex do pretty colours in spray cans.

Or you could just blacklead it with Zebo or similar.

N

I did use a spray paint once on a flue pipe. The smell from it the first time the stove was lit afterwards was really obnoxious, but was fine after that and lasted till the flue rusted through from the inside, as they do. Can't remember the brand of paint, but it was supposed to be suitable for the use. Now just use black "lead". Modern black lead doesn't have lead in it.

Most stove paints are in spray cans which isn't ideal for painting inside a confined space. Best to go outside and spray some inside a container with a cloth over the top and then apply by brush. Unless you don't mind black spray all over the hearth and everything else in the vicinity.

Edited by blackrose

A1E1DC95-DFBC-4A99-AA57-F31D362675CA.jpeg.a9352c4f8747346fbdf766ca372c26d1.jpeg

I use these to smarten up the stove. 

I can’t remember where I got the pot of paint from, maybe Trago Mills years ago. I use a cloth rather than a brush to apply. 
Advantage of a pot of paint is it’ll last you for years

How about this:

615CB9CE-1017-45FC-8572-AF85C0E18C10.jpeg.437c96ef705aa9b6e77aa8d93efc75b1.jpeg

Get it off eBay or Midland Chandlers. 

Brush every time, I once did it with a spray and the boat still bears the scars.

Once it's touch dry it needs a gentle fire to cure, it will create fumes so doors and windows need to be open.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Now just use black "lead". Modern black lead doesn't have lead in it.

It never did.   Blacklead is graphite powder, (carbon) mixed with something like boiled linseed oil, to make a paste.

The heat from the stove/fire/range  helps the oil to set.

N

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, BEngo said:

It never did.   Blacklead is graphite powder, (carbon) mixed with something like boiled linseed oil, to make a paste.

The heat from the stove/fire/range  helps the oil to set.

N

Interesting. I'd just assumed that if the Victorians had a choice of ingredients when developing a product, they would have picked the most toxic ones possible, because why not? Especially if it was going to only be used by the lower orders.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I can’t remember where I got the pot of paint from, maybe Trago Mills years ago. I use a cloth rather than a brush to apply. 

Amazon sell that one, so will get some. (I hate Amazon but sometimes it's useful - and it's a worthwhile challenge to find cheaper suppliers!) It gets only one poor review (plus one saying it's too expensive!) unlike some of the other products which moan about flaking, colour and everything. I'd prefer a brush on one, can apply just before leaving the boat and then come back after a few days and set a fire to cure it. I can't easily get the stove outside, I've just installed a new flue.

Thanks for all the comments.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

The stove paint doesn't stop the tin from going rusty though! 😀

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1