What do I call this

Featured Posts

Looks like a 1 1/4 bsp F x F (female) elbow, with a 1 1/4 x something (3/4?) iron reducing bush for the brass fitting to which the plastic fitting is attached.

But since the plastic fitting has a male threaded end, it would have been easier just to use a steel nipple into the reducing bush.

1-1-4in-90-f-x-f-equal-black_min_8240_P_

https://www.bes.co.uk/iron-elbow-90-11-4-f-black-8240/

Other suppliers are available.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Looks like a 1 1/4 bsp elbow, with a 1 1/4 x something (3/4?) iron reducing bush for the brass fitting to which the plastic fitting is attached.

But since the plastic fitting has a male threaded end, it would have been easier just to use a steel nipple into the reducing bush.

I got the first bit but the second paragraph completely missed me, thanks anyway.

It's what was draining the bathroom sink to the skin fitting, ideally I would like to replace it with a more sensible plastic fitting

You actually have three or maybe four separate components there to go from "one thing to another" so will need to buy them separately.

The big thing will be a female BSP elbow, you will have to measure the thread size. You can get smaller ones in brass as well as iron.

Next is a reducing bush female/male.

Then a brass adaptor for the plastic Hep2o and the Hep2o fitting itself. These might come as one but they are likely two separate items.

This style of Hep2o is no longer available but a modern white one will do a similar job.

Probably best to take it to a good plumbers merchant as they might have a different combination of things to achieve the same ends.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

1 1/4" iron elbow, 1 1/4" X 3/4" iron reducing bush and brass 3/4" male to 22mm spigot into 22mm HEP2O coupler.

Commonly known as a cockup.

So what would be a none cock up way of doing it, this is an original bit from when I bought the boat many many years ago

Its not realy a total cock up, the nature of BSP fittings is that not everything is available, and even less readily availablem so its quite common to see several items joined together to go from one thing to another, though I suspect this one could be a bit more elegant.

What screws on to the grey plastic thread? is it something flexible?

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its not realy a total cock up, the nature of BSP fittings is that not everything is available, and even less readily availablem so its quite common to see several items joined together to go from one thing to another, though I suspect this one could be a bit more elegant.

What screws on to the grey plastic thread? is it something flexible?

That goes to a rigid HEP20 pipe to a skin fitting

24 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

So what would be a none cock up way of doing it, this is an original bit from when I bought the boat many many years ago

Could it not be done in flexible pipe of some kind. Has the sink got a watse trap fitted? If so get a trap with a washing machine spigot come of the outlet. Jubilee clip flexible hose to Hep 20 fitting on skin outlet. 

6 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Could it not be done in flexible pipe of some kind. Has the sink got a watse trap fitted? If so get a trap with a washing machine spigot come of the outlet. Jubilee clip flexible hose to Hep 20 fitting on skin outlet. 

No trap, it connects to this, which I also need a replacement for as the plastic thread has stripped.

Tbh there's not enough space for a trap, there's hardly any downward run to the skin fitting now.

20230803_182842.jpg

20230803_182832.jpg

Edited by tree monkey

If you have a fixed position sink outlet and a fixed position skin fitting, getting threaded fittings to join one to the other and fit will be a nightmare. Better to go for a hosetail on each with a length of flexible hose between.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1