Boating etiquette

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Just now, Goliath said:

Sounds like you’ve ridden a motorbike 😃

Best ride/drive defensively.

Nope, just a lot of the M62 at peak times :(

Way back when, when Mum paid for my driving lessons, it was part of the deal that i did not get a motorbike or have the capability on my licence whilst she was alive. Mainly due to an Uncle having killed a biker when he collided with his car, and another Uncle being permanently disabled when coming off his motorbike.

A deal is a deal so i never did, despite much peer pressure from friends who rode bikes. Since Mum passed i've been tempted to learn, but now the better half won't let me :D  So i'm stuck with four wheels or unpowered two.

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

But why does it happen that when you ain’t seen a boat all day it’s always at a bridge hole or bend when you’ve drifted off in to your own world and ain’t concentrating that you meet three coming tail to tail!

Oh dear, that's definitely the captain's fault then... 😉

It's true though, whether you're on a boat or a bike it's always a bridge hole where you meet the idiot coming the other way too fast and without looking... 😞

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

It's true though, whether you're on a boat or a bike it's always a bridge hole where you meet the idiot coming the other way too fast and without looking... 😞

Yeah, I accept it’s my fault for not concentrating.

But through a bit of luck and experience now, I ain’t hit anything. 

You gaslighting me?

difference as a cyclist you should dismount before a bridge hole, I can’t do that with a boat. 

3 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’ve always said that Sod’s Law bites harder and deeper where boats and boating are concerned. As far as attitudes go these days , all of the old timers , myself included, hold the opinion that things are less pleasant these days . We had the best of it long ago……

- but it wasn't really that good then........!

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yeah, I accept it’s my fault for not concentrating.

But through a bit of luck and experience now, I ain’t hit anything. 

You gaslighting me?

difference as a cyclist you should dismount before a bridge hole, I can’t do that with a boat. 

Just using exactly the same point that you told me off for in the side doors thread -- everyone makes mistakes, sauce for the goose etc etc... 😉

AFAIK the recommendation from CART is that cyclists should take care at bridge holes by slowing down, ringing their bell, and being prepared to stop if something comes the other way -- which is pretty much exactly the same as for a boat.

I've never seen any advice that cyclists should dismount before every bridge hole. Do you have a reference for this?

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, dave moore said:

I’ve always said that Sod’s Law bites harder and deeper where boats and boating are concerned. As far as attitudes go these days , all of the old timers , myself included, hold the opinion that things are less pleasant these days . We had the best of it long ago……

Well that’s just it

Its Sod’s law that a boat will come the  other way on a blind bend with the addition of boats moored either side.  
and that boat coming through will be a 70 footer 

..but that’s why I like it too 😃

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Just using exactly the same point that you told me off for in the side doors thread -- sauce for the goose etc etc... 😉

AFAIK the recommendation from CART is that cyclists should take care at bridge holes by slowing down, ringing their bell, and being prepared to stop if something comes the other way -- which is pretty much exactly the same as for a boat.

I've never seen any advice that cyclists should dismount before every bridge hole. Do you have a reference for this?

Yes,

my reference,

get off you bike and show some respect for pedestrians. 

will you turn this thread in to another hand bag fight?

2 minutes ago, archie57 said:

- but it wasn't really that good then........!

Depends when "long ago" means -- back in the 80s and 90s a lot of the canals (Rochdale Nine! Much of the BCN!) were still pretty grotty, I'd say the modern "golden age" was in the 2000s after the renovated canals reopened and canalsides in places like Brum were renewed, but before the lack of maintenance started to bite and the CMers multiplied... 😞

Just now, IanD said:

Depends when "long ago" means -- back in the 80s and 90s a lot of the canals (Rochdale Nine! Much of the BCN!) were still pretty grotty, I'd say the modern "golden age" was in the 2000s after the renovated canals reopened and canalsides in places like Brum were renewed, but before the lack of maintenance started to bite and the CMers multiplied... 😞

here above is the word of the Gods 

31 minutes ago, IanD said:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Well that’s just it

Its Sod’s law that a boat will come the  other way on a blind bend with the addition of boats moored either side.  
and that boat coming through will be a 70 footer 

..but that’s why I like it too 😃

Yes,

my reference,

get off you bike and show some respect for pedestrians. 

will you turn this thread in to another hand bag fight?

I do show respect for pedestrians, I've pretty much never had any dispute with them, and often get a wave or a "thank you" as we pass. Idiot bikers are much more of a problem, especially at bridge holes...

Everyone seems happy with this, except you -- well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I'll ignore it and carry on following CARTs recommendations because everyone else seems happy with that 🙂

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

here above is the word of the Gods 

Do you disagree? When do you think were the best days of the canals?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

Along the lines of etiquette, I would have thought that people with historic hulls would be a "better breed" of boater. Having passed by braunston during the rally recently, I've interacted with a few.

One boat was coming up behind me so fast it was leaving a large, constant wake - and when I let it past it moved so much water I ended up sitting on the bottom of the canal (this wasn't the first time this had happened to him as he told me I would get unstuck after he passed).

Two others have waited at the locks for me to enter (as a singlehander) and smashed open all the paddles without asking or even saying a word.

So to blame "bad behaviour" on new blood I think is probably a bit of a projected viewpoint.

Edited by DShK
  • Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Goliath said:

But why does it happen that when you ain’t seen a boat all day it’s always at a bridge hole or bend when you’ve drifted off in to your own world and ain’t concentrating that you meet three coming tail to tail!

Thats the BCN for you

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Do you disagree? When do you think were the best days of the canals?

Ooh good question

I’d do starter at 1770 give or take a few years 

But I’m open to offers. 

To add: I say 1770 (give or take) because of the Birmingham Canal. But your opinion is welcome  

Edited by Goliath
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ooh good question

I’d do starter at 1770 give or take a few years 

But I’m open to offers. 

To add: I say 1770 (give or take) because of the Birmingham Canal. But your opinion is welcome  

And in "modern times" that anyone alive has boating experience of -- let's say since the Big Freeze in 1962-63?

Edited by IanD

For me, the rot started around 1990 when the new breed of boater wanted to be in conspicuous control in locks. Before that, as the steerer, one entered the lock, the gates were closed. And what might happen next? Oh yes, the paddles are opened. So not exactly a surprising turn of events and unless there was some exceptional circumstance (engine conked out or bladeful) that is what would happen. There was no need for any of this ridiculous thumbs up lark that makes the steerer feel very important but serves no other purpose.

In the highly unlikely event that the steerer has a problem, one can gesture, shout, toot etc. So certainly, those operating the paddles need to be paying attention, but this need to exchange a thumbs to allow the blindingly obvious next step to proceed Is just a symptom of the general dumbing down of boater competence, and need to demonstrate control, that has occurred since I started boating in the late 1960s

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

..dunno 

so the question is: When is/was the best time for the leisure boater on the canal?

I wouldn’t have a clue. 

You’ve been boating decades before me, you’d know better. Tell me. 

<sigh> I didn't say I knew better, I said I thought the noughties (my opinion) and asked what other people thought -- including you, since you were the one accusing me of playing God... 😉

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

For me, the rot started around 1990 when the new breed of boater wanted to be in conspicuous control in locks. Before that, as the steerer, one entered the lock, the gates were closed. And what might happen next? Oh yes, the paddles are opened. So not exactly a surprising turn of events and unless there was some exceptional circumstance (engine conked out or bladeful) that is what would happen. There was no need for any of this ridiculous thumbs up lark that makes the steerer feel very important but serves no other purpose.

In the highly unlikely event that the steerer has a problem, one can gesture, shout, toot etc. So certainly, those operating the paddles need to be paying attention, but this need to exchange a thumbs to allow the blindingly obvious next step to proceed Is just a symptom of the general dumbing down of boater competence, and need to demonstrate control, that has occurred since I started boating in the late 1960s

Maybe that's true for boater behaviour (if it really bothers you), but the big plus point for the noughties (for me, at least) was the reopening of the Rochdale and HNC, all new and exciting and lovely -- and the rest of the canals were mostly pretty well maintained at this point too... 🙂

Edited by IanD

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

And in "modern times" that anyone alive has boating experience of -- let's say since the Big Freeze in 1962-63?

For me it was when we first started, in the 50s, but given your definition I'd say '62, as the big freeze was the nail in the coffin of what little commercial narrowboat trade still existed to that time. We did still enjoy boating for several years after that, but by 1981 when the barrel boat contract ended there were already beginning to be too many continuous moorers, and too many of them expected you to pass impossibly slowly and shouted loudly if their boat moved even one jot. It was also when there stopped being lock keepers and lengthsmen to deal with local problems.

Tam

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

. There was no need for any of this ridiculous thumbs up lark that makes the steerer feel very important but serves no other purpose.

I often forget to do that as the misses knows what we are doing. Have you ever tried to get a Volockie to open a paddle fully with signals?

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I often forget to do that as the misses knows what we are doing. Have you ever tried to get a Volockie to open a paddle fully with signals?

I did look in the Colregs for the sound signal for “stop pissing about and get that bloody paddle up” but there didn’t seem to be one. So I have to make do with a general waving up motion with both hands. Or these days, we say to volockies “no assistance required thank you” and raise the paddles ourselves.

As an aside, so far we have had a gloriously volockie free trip.  Atherstone volockies were cutting the grass. Excellent. Hillmorton was a volockie desert as was Braunston and Buckby and Stoke Bruerne. We have about turned in MK as the Nene is now open, and again no volockies on SB.

• Greenie 1

We noticed a big lack of volockies on our recent couple of weeks up the Shroppie and the Monty.  There were a few at Hurlestone and Grindley Brook on the way up but none on the way back.  A volunteer helping the full time keeper at Frankton and the only other one we saw was at Audlem but he was armed with a paint brush and about to paint all the white bits of the gates.  On our way down Audlem there was a CRT employee helping a boat up the flight and then he set locks ahead for us on his way back down to the Town Wharf.

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Can't say I appreciate someone who could sink my home and kill my dog doing so without my permission or consent. I've heard stories (not had the experience yet) of people who don't speak english slamming all the paddles open on double wide locks (going up).

I've experienced enough volockies not paying attention and heard enough boat sinkings due to lack of attention that when single handed I want to be the one on the ground in control of the lock. Not someone who I have no reason to trust.