Jabsco Par-Max 2.9

Lizette

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Hi All 

I have tried to get my whale gulper going to no avail. I am wondering if I can use a par max 2.9 ,model 31395 water system pump for the shower extraction?

I would strongly advise against it. I am sure those pumps have at least three small pumping chambers and small spring-loaded valves, two for each chamber. Those valves are not self-cleaning (like the gulper) and block easily.  If you can't get a gulper, think about a rubber impeller pump (no valves) and use a push button switch so it only pumps when you push the switch.

For example https://www.allpumpsdirect.co.uk/Marco-Flexible-Impeller-Pumps

Edited by Tony Brooks

I suppose it would be ok if you put a good strainer in front of it. We  have a strainer on the gulper and it needs cleaning out about once a month and is a right pain when it blocks.

Does the gulper have an electrical or mechanical/pumping problem? A full pumping rebuild kit is available. Otherwise buy a new gulper, it will last much longer than the 2.9 so is a good investment.

Can I hijack this thread please? Does anybody know if the ParMax 2.9 can pump diesel? Has anybody tried it?

2 hours ago, dmr said:

I suppose it would be ok if you put a good strainer in front of it. We  have a strainer on the gulper and it needs cleaning out about once a month and is a right pain when it blocks.

Does the gulper have an electrical or mechanical/pumping problem? A full pumping rebuild kit is available. Otherwise buy a new gulper, it will last much longer than the 2.9 so is a good investment.

Can I hijack this thread please? Does anybody know if the ParMax 2.9 can pump diesel? Has anybody tried it?

Personally, I would doubt it because it will be built down to a cost, so it is likely to use ordinary rubber diaphragms rather than hydrocarbon resisting ones.

It almost certainly do so as a one-off, but for how long afterwards I would not like to say.

14 hours ago, Lizette said:

Hi All 

I have tried to get my whale gulper going to no avail. I am wondering if I can use a par max 2.9 ,model 31395 water system pump for the shower extraction?

As @Ianws asks; can you give any more details of the Gulper problem? Is this a brand new gulper that you can't make work? An existing one that was working, but now isn't? What isn't working? Is nothing happening at all? Is it making noise, but no water is coming through? The par max isn't going to work for more than a couple of days, for the reasons that @Tony Brooks gives, but there are loads of gulpers in use on boats, so what ever the problem is can be fixed.

13 hours ago, dmr said:

We  have a strainer on the gulper and it needs cleaning out about once a month and is a right pain when it blocks.

Why have a strainer on a pump that is designed not to need one? All the lint, hair, dirt, soap etc that will pass straight through a gulper without causing any problems is going to get trapped there and need cleaning out when it regularly blocks up. I've got a gulper that has been working in a lived on boat for 15 years now with no strainer and coped with all the bathing and laundry water from the twin tub for that time. Has never blocked and never failed. What problem is the strainer there to solve?

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

As @Ianws asks; can you give any more details of the Gulper problem? Is this a brand new gulper that you can't make work? An existing one that was working, but now isn't? What isn't working? Is nothing happening at all? Is it making noise, but no water is coming through? The par max isn't going to work for more than a couple of days, for the reasons that @Tony Brooks gives, but there are loads of gulpers in use on boats, so what ever the problem is can be fixed.

Why have a strainer on a pump that is designed not to need one? All the lint, hair, dirt, soap etc that will pass straight through a gulper without causing any problems is going to get trapped there and need cleaning out when it regularly blocks up. I've got a gulper that has been working in a lived on boat for 15 years now with no strainer and coped with all the bathing and laundry water from the twin tub for that time. Has never blocked and never failed. What problem is the strainer there to solve?

The strainer was there when we got the boat and I have never bothered to remove it. We are a very long haired family, and the dog has quite a few showers too, so the strainer catches a huge amount of hair so is likely removing the very slight chance of a pump blockage. The strainer is easy to get to and the pump isn't 😀.  We have a whale gusher for self pump outs which is a similar concept to the gulper and that has failed once so the design is not 100% safe, though  it was a snail that got the gusher.

3 hours ago, dmr said:

The strainer was there when we got the boat and I have never bothered to remove it. We are a very long haired family, and the dog has quite a few showers too, so the strainer catches a huge amount of hair so is likely removing the very slight chance of a pump blockage. The strainer is easy to get to and the pump isn't 😀.  We have a whale gusher for self pump outs which is a similar concept to the gulper and that has failed once so the design is not 100% safe, though  it was a snail that got the gusher.

Hi,  Sorry for delay in responding. The whale gulper was new when last used which was 1.5 years ago. It has been sitting there after only 2 months use. Unfortunately ,I have continually had problems with plumbing on this boat; leaks onto the gulper ,I think caused it to cease up. I have taken it  apart cleaned all parts that able to access and tested it via batteries to see if running and absolutely nothing. I did spray some wD 40 so wonder if this has affected it in some way. Parts all moving now and have sat it in sun ,open to perhaps dry it out.

Any suggestions welcome as currently showering in large tub and emptying water overboard or in plants!

13 hours ago, Ianws said:

I'd  be more interested in why you can't get the Whale gulper working.  If that doesn't  work why would anything else? Whats not working with the Whale?

The jabsco was tested and is working but it is a fresh water pump.

24 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Hi,  Sorry for delay in responding. The whale gulper was new when last used which was 1.5 years ago. It has been sitting there after only 2 months use. Unfortunately ,I have continually had problems with plumbing on this boat; leaks onto the gulper ,I think caused it to cease up. I have taken it  apart cleaned all parts that able to access and tested it via batteries to see if running and absolutely nothing. I did spray some wD 40 so wonder if this has affected it in some way. Parts all moving now and have sat it in sun ,open to perhaps dry it out.

Any suggestions welcome as currently showering in large tub and emptying water overboard or in plants!

The jabsco was tested and is working but it is a fresh water pump.

Was the gulper working 1.5 years ago? Did either you, or a person you can trust (ie, not some one who sold you the boat) see it working then?

New information, it has got wet externally at some point. This sounds significant. They are not designed for immersion.

When you say you have tested it via batteries and get absolutely nothing, is there no sound coming from the pump? Have you put a multimeter across the supply close to the pump when it is connected? Where did you spray the WD40?

Which way round is the pump oriented? Is it horizontal, screwed say to the floor, or vertical, with the pump section facing downward and screwed to a wall? These are the two recommended orientations.

So, it sounds like its possible that water has got into the motor? This could kill the pump, probably the only think that can kill the gulper.

As Jen says, please confirm that you have power at the pump and the motor is not turning.

As everybody else says, bite the bullet and buy a new Gulper.

If you are really keen you could take the diaphragm and valves out of the old one to keep as spares, but not really worth it unless you are really skint.

Ideally water pumps, fresh and grey, should be mounted motor up so that any leakage does not let water get into the motor.

If you are convinced the old one is beyond repair and have answered Jen's questions about the electrical supply (try it direct to a battery), I think that I would want to try to get a look inside the motor. It could just be a stuck brush. I would undo the two screws marked X below and pull the bottom of the end plate towards you. I suspect that would unclip the top of the end plate.

WGulper.jpg.66bfa021007719275fdaaf88ca8aeaec.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

Be aware that those screws may well be very long and go right through the body to hold the other end moulding in place. The motor body might slide off the armature, giving you a good look at the inside, the only problem might be reassembling and getting the brushes in place.

Edited by Tony Brooks

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

And post a photo of the inards here please. 😀

My guess is a permanent magnet motor, and "faceplate" type commutator. At least one bearing is likely to be a sintered spherical plain bearing (so needs soaking in oil) with the drive end a ball beaing.

On 09/07/2023 at 14:46, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Was the gulper working 1.5 years ago? Did either you, or a person you can trust (ie, not some one who sold you the boat) see it working then?

New information, it has got wet externally at some point. This sounds significant. They are not designed for immersion.

When you say you have tested it via batteries and get absolutely nothing, is there no sound coming from the pump? Have you put a multimeter across the supply close to the pump when it is connected? Where did you spray the WD40?

Which way round is the pump oriented? Is it horizontal, screwed say to the floor, or vertical, with the pump section facing downward and screwed to a wall? These are the two recommended orientations.

Hi It wasn't totally immersed,no sound at all , my multi Meter is not working hence testing with batteries, I sprayed WD40 wherever rusty or ceased. The orientation of pump is fine as previously worked.

Unless you can get the motor apart I fear that you are right about it now being useless. If you can get the motor apart then it might be salvageable with some cleaning and oiling bearings & freeing the brushes.

If you did not get a fair old spark when you put it direct to a battery then that suggests a brush problem.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless you can get the motor apart I fear that you are right about it now being useless. If you can get the motor apart then it might be salvageable with some cleaning and oiling bearings & freeing the brushes.

If you did not get a fair old spark when you put it direct to a battery then that suggests a brush problem.

On 09/07/2023 at 14:46, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Hi It wasn't totally immersed,no sound at all , my multi Meter is not working hence testing with batteries, I sprayed WD40 wherever rusty or ceased. The orientation of pump is fine as previously worked.

Hi All Thanks for your responses. I did remove those screws and there was no movement from the motor . I worked on it and now there is but I was unsure if it comes out ,I did not want to pull it out as I do not kno how it is attached.

I will send a photo shortly

If I can save it ,that would be fab as barely used 

Hi All

16890151247063589127341054552859.jpg

I guess I shall try to get the motor out .Seems quite firmly in.

I shall test it on battery again tomorrow in case it has decided to work.

After your responses ,I think I shall d finitely try to move it so it is not directly under sink drainage!

So,it should just slid out, right?

3 hours ago, Lizette said:

Sorry Jen,I missed one of your questions . I bought it and replaced the previous pump which was not a gulper . I had it working for two months 

2 hours ago, Lizette said:

So,it should just slid out, right?

Perhaps, or perhaps not. It all depends what is on the pump end of the armature shaft.

It looks as if there is an E clip on the end of the shaft so if you flick that off - don't let it fly in case you want to reassemble - I would expect the end cover with the wires on to pull off, but it does all look very rusty.

@Lizette you've probably gone above and beyond now in your attempts to revive your gulper and explored all the possible alternative options to no avail.  A new Whale Gulper 220 is a very little over £100 - if you have the cash, now might be the time to splash it.

If you need to mail order, I'd recommend Seamark Nunn - good on both price and service.