Google map of canal and river marinas

David Floyd

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

Not sure why you are trying to re-invent the wheel yet again with this, and already making so many mistakes and omissions, why not just link to all the other comprehensive sources and then go and enjoy your boating.

Me neither, Google maps will pinpoint then, and a mouse click usually gives you address, postcode, phone number and web/email address, But ding as a hobby is another thing and probably justified.

I have now started working on the CRT data, I have converted XY coordinates to Lat, Long (You have to love excel) and I have imported this info the map.

I am now working my way into each record and getting any further details I can find as well has checking that the map location is correct, and adding which waterway they are on.. This will take a while, but I am learning a lot.

D

1 minute ago, David Floyd said:

I have now started working on the CRT data, I have converted XY coordinates to Lat, Long (You have to love excel) and I have imported this info the map.

I am now working my way into each record and getting any further details I can find as well has checking that the map location is correct, and adding which waterway they are on.. This will take a while, but I am learning a lot.

D

there is a lot of data available on the CRT site isn't there, I use it for reference.

Seems to have become extremely slow and unusable.  When the map finally loaded there was what looked like hundreds of pins and it was so slow I gave up trying to zoom in to an area around Birmingham.

4 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

there is a lot of data available on the CRT site isn't there, I use it for reference.

It is very impressive so far

D

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Seems to have become extremely slow and unusable.  When the map finally loaded there was what looked like hundreds of pins and it was so slow I gave up trying to zoom in to an area around Birmingham.

It will improve as I clean the data, I will put in some filters so you can select which waterways you look at, also I think I can also limit the amount of data depending on the area you look at, at the moment it is loading it all even if you just look at a small area. It is definitely a work in progress.

Also once I stop playing with the data the cache should start to work a little better 🙂

D

Beware if you are using google maps - you can get hit by a large bill for using their maps. Canalplan got wacked with one for several hundreds of pounds - that's why we use our own map server

Canalplan has downloadable datasets

Edited by StephenA

Speed had really become an issue with the way things worked on the original google maps plugin, I have tested it a lot over the past few days, so today just to see if I was going mad, I have swapped to another mapping system called MapMarkers.

So fare so good, a few problems with imports of my CSV files, but now a test is up and running, again a work in progress.

https://floydtilla.co.uk/uk-canal-and-river-marinas/

D

P.S. Thanks for all the help guys, could not have done this without your feedback and comments..

Yes, still a lot to add, but starting with the CRT data got me over 500 sites, the rest will be added as I get the formatting correct for the imports.

Its a fun project, I am learning more about the available waterways.

D

Edited by David Floyd

4 hours ago, David Floyd said:

Speed had really become an issue with the way things worked on the original google maps plugin, I have tested it a lot over the past few days, so today just to see if I was going mad, I have swapped to another mapping system called MapMarkers.

So fare so good, a few problems with imports of my CSV files, but now a test is up and running, again a work in progress.

https://floydtilla.co.uk/uk-canal-and-river-marinas/

D

P.S. Thanks for all the help guys, could not have done this without your feedback and comments..

Certainly got a speed improvement, much more responsive when moving around and zooming in and out.

I think the CRT data may include EOG moorings judging by a couple of locations I looked at.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Certainly got a speed improvement, much more responsive when moving around and zooming in and out.

I think the CRT data may include EOG moorings judging by a couple of locations I looked at.

EOG? 

D

Just because they're local to our marina and you've missed them off, i'm too lazy to email you :D 

Barby Moorings

Barby Lane

Barby

Rugby

CV23 8UJ

Tel: 01788 890486

Mobile: 07766 301895

www.barbymoorings.co.uk/index.html

Hillmorton Wharf Marina

Crick Road

Rugby

CV21 4PW

Tel: 01788 540149

www.hillmortonwharf.com/index.htm

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Just because they're local to our marina and you've missed them off, i'm too lazy to email you :D 

Barby Moorings

Barby Lane

Barby

Rugby

CV23 8UJ

Tel: 01788 890486

Mobile: 07766 301895

www.barbymoorings.co.uk/index.html

Hillmorton Wharf Marina

Crick Road

Rugby

CV21 4PW

Tel: 01788 540149

www.hillmortonwharf.com/index.htm

No Problem 🙂

D

Northern BCN - Cannock Extension - there are linear offside moorings operated by the boatyards north of Lime Lane bridge up to the end at the A5, and your marker for the grove is a little south of the colliery arms.

Also Longwood Boat Club at the top of Rushall locks.

springy

1 hour ago, springy said:

Northern BCN - Cannock Extension - there are linear offside moorings operated by the boatyards north of Lime Lane bridge up to the end at the A5, and your marker for the grove is a little south of the colliery arms.

Also Longwood Boat Club at the top of Rushall locks.

springy

Fab, thank you

Will add tomorrow

D

There's a big difference between moorings and marinas - and even moorings can differ a lot.  Marinas might not do short term moorings.   Then there are linear moorings (CRT or private) most of which are long term and then there are all the visitor moorings (with different length of stays)

17 minutes ago, StephenA said:

There's a big difference between moorings and marinas - and even moorings can differ a lot.  Marinas might not do short term moorings.   Then there are linear moorings (CRT or private) most of which are long term and then there are all the visitor moorings (with different length of stays)

It is a good point, I have tried to cover mooring and marina that are not just temporary moorings, I have included links where possible. My original plan was as a guide to longer term moorings, as that was what I was looking for when I started.

D