Batteries and their technologies, Which is best ?

Mr Batteries Ltd

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

An average human can generate 100W (normal person) - 200W (track cyclist) for long periods, so if you cycled all night you might get 1kWh for your pains... 😞

weren’t thinking of me

I have a Diesel engine  to do all that. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Answer for everything..

Right. 

What is the neaning of life?

Beer beer beer and more beer?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

weren’t thinking of me

I have a Diesel engine  to do all that. 

Beer beer beer and more beer?

Which is the only real solution right now, even if it's disguised as a generator... 😉

Would be nice to be able to run them off HVO though, if only you could get it and it wasn't so expensive... 😞

Surely whatever the question is, more beer is *always* the answer?... 🙂

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I was asking you oh wise one. 

Come on, admit it, you were getting narked because I kept p*ssing on your chips... 😉

If you don't want your wonderful ideas to be shot down in flames, maybe you need to do more research and think them through better? 🙂

Edited by IanD

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

Come on, admit it, you were getting narked because I kept p*ssing on your chips... 😉

If you don't want your wonderful ideas to be shot down in flames, maybe you need to do more research and think them through better? 🙂

I don"t have any wonderful ideas. Always good to prompt those that do ;)

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I’m sure propellers will work off a rubber band. 
Just need to re twist / re torque / or re talk to them. 
No electricity needed. 

Like Trevor Bayliss's wind up radio? 🙂

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m sure propellers will work off a rubber band. 
Just need to re twist / re torque / or re talk to them. 
No electricity needed. 

Could use knicker elastic. But don’t get it knotted

Seen the title of the Thread and opening post about battery types, then see it was from a guy with 27 years of experience in the battery trade. Now it’s all going on about Lithium. I was hoping he was going to give constructive advice on batteries(GEL, AGM) obviously not.
  So I’ll ask. Has anyone got any experience with GEL batteries on a boat? Not bothered about Lithium, just would like some thoughts/experience with GEL Batteries. Thanks

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Seen the title of the Thread and opening post about battery types, then see it was from a guy with years of experience in the battery trade. Now it’s all going on about Lithium. I was hoping he was going to give constructive advice on batteries(GEL, AGM) obviously not
  So I’ll ask. Has anyone got any experience with GEL batteries on a boat? Not bothered about Lithium, just would like some thoughts/experience with GEL Batteries. Thanks

I think the general view is that gel batteries are rather expensive for narrowboats and don't really give any advantages that good AGM batteries don't give, whilst the latter are a bit more tolerant of over-charging.

Of course I will mention that years of experience in the battery trade (aka selling batteries) doesn't necessarily translate into years of experience of using different battery types.

Many people think that lithium batteries have made lead bricks obsolete. As I have invested fairly heavily in the former I tend to have choice supportive bias.

Good AGM or gel batteries are probably a sound investment. 

Victron AGM are good. I have a little humble 7ah 12v AGM from Victron which is used for the preheat on my Perkins P4 engine as the terminals happen to line up with the brass bolts on the preheater. Just hold it against the thing for a number of seconds. 

Its about ten yars old has been discharged severely and recharged and just seems to be a really good battery. 

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

They are the ones I’m looking at 6v 240amp ish. Same price as good AGM’s

Unless you are really on top of monitoring their use and providing adequate charging, you will ruin gels or AGMs almost as fast as a wet lead acid, and as they are sealed (valve regulated) you can't really do much of an equalisation charge to try to reverse a bit more sulphation. I would suggest that unless you have considerable previous experience of looking after batteries for the first couple of battery fittings you stick to ordinary, wet dual purpose or leisure batteries and treat them as consumable items but while trying to look after them.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless you are really on top of monitoring their use and providing adequate charging, you will ruin gels or AGMs almost as fast as a wet lead acid, and as they are sealed (valve regulated) you can't really do much of an equalisation charge to try to reverse a bit more sulphation. I would suggest that unless you have considerable previous experience of looking after batteries for the first couple of battery fittings you stick to ordinary, wet dual purpose or leisure batteries and treat them as consumable items but while trying to look after them.

I think gel batteries, like AGM, are much less prone to sulphation when partially charged, than ordinary flooded LA. Modern cars have alternators controlled by the engine control unit and the battery spends much of its time at around 80% SoC with a low charge voltage of maybe 13.6v. Only when the car is decelerating / braking does the ECU turn up the charge voltage to 14.6v or whatever, as a form of regenerative braking. So the battery must spend most of its time well below 100% SoC, and yet they still last 7 or 8 years.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Of course I will mention that years of experience in the battery trade (aka selling batteries) doesn't necessarily translate into years of experience of using different battery types.

Totally agree. Years of flogging batteries to the Great British Public just teaches you what fekkin' ol' shyte yer average mug punter will swallow whole and what's best not to say in order to get the cash register KERCHINGing. 

I notice the OP has bowed out of this thread.

Nice cider, this....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, magnetman said:

Victron AGM are good. I have a little humble 7ah 12v AGM from Victron which is used for the preheat on my Perkins P4 engine as the terminals happen to line up with the brass bolts on the preheater.

I have a little Victron AGM which I use for bench-testing pretty much anything from inverters to blown-air heaters. On the table right now as I try to fathom the workings of a cheap dash-cam which came complete with Chinese instructions... (there is a translation, but the Chinese probably makes more sense!)

Mine is 8AH, I think it's for a mobility scooter or similar, extraordinarily useful thing to have sitting around.

image.png.6db6cf0e94c31721e7c64c4b16569c7f.png 

18 hours ago, Mr Batteries Ltd said:

I wouldn't say spamming, Im interested, will it benefit my business moving forward with purchasing, and deciding which technologies to put my investment into ? i certainly hope so as i would like to be a key supporter for the boating community, and i hope i can also help members on here with my experience, and advice. 

I am working with the current chairman of the electric boat association, and i would like my business to support electric propulsion in the future, so what better way for me to understand what the boating community wants than to join and be a part of it. This i feel in the only way to understand what is required. 

So yes, if allowed i will help and advise, but if sales can be made along the way, and y our members can save on batteries, cables, and Victron products, then i hope can help.

I have secondhand LifePo4s for domestic and electric drive, they are considered a safe lithium technology, I have had the for a good number of years without issues. Charging is by solar or generator controlled charging is key to long life of LifePo4s. I purchased mine secondhand and they have been a great cheap investment for myself