Cruising somewhere else

LadyG

Featured Posts

Well I would like to find a pleasant route which has not too many locks, though if vlockies are on duty I can manage!

I liked the L&L, in spite of swing bridges, very scenic,  but it might be nice to try some different, I'm pointing towards Wakefield from Brighouse. Not sure if it's a good idea to attempt the Rochdale again, I had to turn back before getting very far due to weather. Is Nottingham worthwhile? Sheffield looks a bit of a dead end. Should I try the GU? There seems to be some stoppages, what's new.

I think I average about seven hours per week on these epic voyages 

I look at the stoppages map and it's still multicoloured .

Just now, dmr said:

Peak Forest, Macc, T&M etc are all lovely and easy little single locks. Trouble is best way to there is over the Rochdale and you didn't like that.

I turned back due to winter weather, so, I suppose I could try again , but it does not sound easy, it is my first choice at the moment thanks 

The Rochdale down through outer Manchester is tough, especially for a single hander, so going right over the L&L would be an option but then you have to do the Wigan flight. The HNC is another option but I believe its not so good for single handers. However the Midland/North Midland canals really will be a delight after the brutal North.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you are on the L&L, I don't know where you are you could go Bridgewater and then T&M, just don't hang around on the Bridgewater

It has got a few nice bits, but its quite deep and wide and has no locks so you really can get a shift on.

Not sure how you're going to try the GU; need to think about what's between it and you first.

If you head south there won't be excuses not to move. Lots of boats moving all the time in the Midlands and stoppages while not non-existent are the exception rather than the rule. I don't know what issues you have found regarding the GU. Wouldn't a slow journey via Huddersfield to the Macclesfield and south thereof be your best bet? Or head across to the tidal Trent to get south via Nottingham if going over the Pennines is too daunting.

Ultimately you're just 13 broad locks away from nothing but narrow locks as as far as Braunston or Stourport.

Have you ever seen a narrow lock?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

The Rochdale down through outer Manchester is tough, especially for a single hander, so going right over the L&L would be an option but then you have to do the Wigan flight.  

Good Volockies on the Wigan flight.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you are on the L&L, I don't know where you are you could go Bridgewater and then T&M, just don't hang around on the Bridgewater

Sorry I'm on the C&H at the moment, but I must admit to being a two lock a day person :)

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Sorry I'm on the C&H at the moment, but I must admit to being a two lock a day person :)

If you really want to head somewhere different you probably need to engage some help for the difficult bit i.e getting over the L&L, Rochdale or Hudds Narrow.

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Not sure how you're going to try the GU; need to think about what's between it and you first.

If you head south there won't be excuses not to move. Lots of boats moving all the time in the Midlands and stoppages while not non-existent are the exception rather than the rule. I don't know what issues you have found regarding the GU. Wouldn't a slow journey via Huddersfield to the Macclesfield and south thereof be your best bet? Or head across to the tidal Trent to get south via Nottingham if going over the Pennines is too daunting.

Ultimately you're just 13 broad locks away from nothing but narrow locks as as far as Braunston or Stourport.

Have you ever seen a narrow lock?

Err, probably not seen a narrow lock, I like broad if you meet up with another, ot the lock is full size, but I understand narrow are easier. I need easy!

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

If you really want to head somewhere different you probably need to engage some help for the difficult bit i.e getting over the L&L, Rochdale or Hudds Narrow.

Yes, well the general plan is to cruise in company for a few hours or locks then they don't have time to get fed up with me piggybacking. Other singlehanders quite like it as there is no rush and I make us both cocoa on a cold day.

I think I'll try the Rochdale again.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well I would like to find a pleasant route which has not too many locks, though if vlockies are on duty I can manage!

I liked the L&L, in spite of swing bridges, very scenic,  but it might be nice to try some different, I'm pointing towards Wakefield from Brighouse. Not sure if it's a good idea to attempt the Rochdale again, I had to turn back before getting very far due to weather. Is Nottingham worthwhile? Sheffield looks a bit of a dead end. Should I try the GU? There seems to be some stoppages, what's new.

I think I average about seven hours per week on these epic voyages 

I look at the stoppages map and it's still multicoloured .

Nottingham is lovely. Definitely worth a visit if you can work it into your itinerary. 

• Happy 1

Worth remembering that Nottingham is on a short stretch of canal, but bounded either side by fairly long stretches of river. Definitely a different experience to a canal :-). Most of the locks downstream of Nottingham have lockies on duty most of the day at this time of year and are large locks, often mechanically operated. Can be a bit daunting when the paddles are fully opened on some. Upstream from Nottingham you have the River Soar, T&M, Erewash all meeting pretty much in the same place. Lots of free mooring on the canal in Nottingham centre, and lots of marinas up and down that stretch of river.

I think taking into account your rate of progress and the difficulty of the cross Pennine routes, a trip on the River Trent might be your best way to get south for a change of scene. I think the Rochdale and Huddersfield would be particularly hard for you. The Leeds and Liverpool less so. 

• Happy 1

The Peak Forest and Macclesfield are lovely canals, but to get there from where you are would involve the dreaded Rochdale or the Huddersfield Broad (nine locks and a lift bridge) to Huddersfield, and forty two narrow locks to the Standedge Tunnel.

Single handed it is a real slog.

The alternative would be the C+H,the A+C  and the South Yorkshire waterways to Keadby onto the Trent.

I have seen Volockies helping a lady through the Hudd Broad and Narrow, so they are available with suitable notice.

That would be my preferred route, although it could be a rather long trip.

From the Peak Forest onto the Macc you can join the T+M to go further south.

I have yet to find a part of the canal network that is entirely devoid of some interest. It varies and does depend on whether you are interested/intrigued by industrial heritage but, for me, there are no 'no-go' canals.

For 'two-locks-a-day' the problem will always be overnight mooring as many stretches  have limitations. Longer flights, for instance, may not allow mooring mid flight - Hatton, for example, means a minimum of 19 locks in one go. Some areas have lots of semi-permanent occupation and finding a spot to moor can be a challenge (see K&A)

Ditchcrawler made an enigmatic comment about not hanging about on the Bridgewater - it might have been a comment on its visual characteristics and the tedium(?) of long straight sections, but much of it is fairly rural, especially the western half. However, you have to be careful to keep withing the visitor rules unless you are happy to pay. Runcorn is worth a side visit.

18 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

However, you have to be careful to keep withing the visitor rules unless you are happy to pay.

The rules for CRT licence holders taking advantage of the reciprocal arrangement are reasonably clear, but for those who want to stay a little longer, and are willing to pay the position is completely opaque.

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I have yet to find a part of the canal network that is entirely devoid of some interest. It varies and does depend on whether you are interested/intrigued by industrial heritage but, for me, there are no 'no-go' canals.

For 'two-locks-a-day' the problem will always be overnight mooring as many stretches  have limitations. Longer flights, for instance, may not allow mooring mid flight - Hatton, for example, means a minimum of 19 locks in one go. Some areas have lots of semi-permanent occupation and finding a spot to moor can be a challenge (see K&A)

I don't have that set in stone, I move from one nice mooring to the next nice one, just indicating my rate of progress. Generally a few hours a m.

Edited by LadyG