Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mightyslay3r said:

im waiting for the proposal by the government to have electrically propelled boats....

at the boat owners expense ofc...

imagine the royal navy having to get rid of those monsters in the hull & replacing with electric motors lol

the batteries required would outweigh the weight of the engines me thinks....

Governemnt planned "Marine Zero Emissions"

By 2025 any boat built for use in UK waters (sea and inland) must be capable of being converted to zero emission propulsion

By 2035 NO boat can be built for use in UK waters (sea and inland) that does not have zero emission propulsion

By 2050 no boats that are not zero emission propulsion can be used on UK waters (sea and inland)

This is why (apparently) the majority of new narrowboats being built now are capable of being converted or are already zero emission (electric) propulsion.

Does this affect your long term plans ?
Were you aware of this ?

• Happy 1

25 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

thats all i want.. dont want to be told 2 years down the line the boat has been banned for not complying with the authorities foot print legislation... thats all :) 

on another note... diesel.... does it have to be from a corporate pumping station which charges more than forecourts?

or can you take jerry cans to the forecourt to fuel up?

im asking these questions mainly to see if, in the future it will be feasible to move from bricks n mortar to a boat....

if the expense is going to be much greater without being able to make changes to expense slightly to save... whats the point really?

You can guarantee that it will become more expensive in the future. My licence for a 45' narrow boat needs renewing this month and will be over £1,000 for the first time. I have today completed the CRT consultation questionnaire on future licencing in which they are very open about the fact that they will need to raise licence fees by more (maybe much more) than the rate of inflation for years to come. And they may charge continuous cruisers a higher amount. No doubt marina fees will become considerably more expensive as well.

On the subject of diesel you can buy it elsewhere and refill a boat from a jerry can but it's a lot of hassle and you need to be careful not to spill it in the canal. And marinas will throw you out if you do it there. But why would you? You would be paying fuel duty on 100% of it whereas buying red diesel from canal outlets is duty free for 70% of it. Or more if you declare that you use less than 30% for propulsion.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

By 2025 any boat built for use in UK waters (sea and inland) must be capable of being converted to zero emission propulsion

By 2035 NO boat can be built for use in UK waters (sea and inland) that does not have zero emission propulsion

By 2050 no boats that are not zero emission propulsion can be used on UK waters (sea and inland)

This is why (apparently) the majority of new narrowboats being built now are capable of being converted or are already zero emission (electric) propulsion.

Were you aware of this ?

i think we are going to have to get wind turbines fitted so we dont use the fossil fuel power stations to get electric to propel boats tbh...

or the world will be covered in turbines.. either way.. its gonna cost until we can generate our own power onboard without having to use electric stations to recharge.... has said.. during the winter months, solar panels arnt has effective.. but there will always be wind :) 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MtB said:

Same here. Depressing isn't it? 

I think if anything saves the human race from being cooked, it will be some as-yet uninvented technology. 

I'm not sure what's more depressing; humans wiping themselves out, or humans inventing a technology to save themselves at the expense of wiping out various other species.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

You can guarantee that it will become more expensive in the future. My licence for a 45' narrow boat needs renewing this month and will be over £1,000 for the first time. I have today completed the CRT consultation questionnaire on future licencing in which they are very open about the fact that they will need to raise licence fees by more (maybe much more) than the rate of inflation for years to come. And they may charge continuous cruisers a higher amount. No doubt marina fees will become considerably more expensive as well.

On the subject of diesel you can buy it elsewhere and refill a boat from a jerry can but it's a lot of hassle and you need to be careful not to spill it in the canal. And marinas will throw you out if you do it there. But why would you? You would be paying fuel duty on 100% of it whereas buying red diesel from canal outlets is duty free for 70% of it. Or more if you declare that you use less than 30% for propulsion.

so boats can still use red diesel? it was said it had been outlawed and only white diesel could be used... sure i read it somewhere.. i may have got it wrong...

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

it is what we really really want to do... but if it is going to be more expensive to change lifestyle for the better.. is there any point?

Love of boating, interested in history, wildlife etc.  Wish to travel around the country and see it from a different perspective.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Were you aware of this ?

He’ll be buying a 2nd hand diesel boat, so not a new build, so he’ll be the same as the majority, which at a guess something like 95% of boaters on the canal with a diesel propulsion boat.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

so boats can still use red diesel? it was said it had been outlawed and only white diesel could be used... sure i read it somewhere.. i may have got it wrong...

I believe that was the plan and that it has now been shelved. I could be wrong but it's definitely still red diesel at the moment.

• Happy 1

Not on the canals there isn't - thats why you rarely (if ever) see a windy-generator on a canal boat.

i was being sarcastic bud.... we tend to walk tow paths rather than open spaces due to no wind :) 

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

He’ll be buying a 2nd hand diesel boat, so not a new build, so he’ll be the same as the majority, which at a guess something like 95% of boaters on the canal with a diesel propulsion boat.

Indeed, & which will be depreciating faster and faster as we approach 2050 and it has to be removed from UK waters.

Somone in (say their 40s) and buying a boat today (new or secondhand)  will be unlikely to be able to use it in their retirement as it will have to be taken off UK waters.

• Happy 1

Not on the canals there isn't - thats why you rarely (if ever) see a windy-generator on a canal boat.

I’ve been seeing plenty,

I quite like the idea of batteries charging away at night but how good the wind generators are I don’t know.

• Happy 1

Indeed, & which will be depreciating faster and faster as we approach 2050 and it has to be removed from UK waters.

Somone in (say their 40s) and buying a boat today (new or secondhand)  will be unlikely to be able to use it in their retirement as it will have to be taken off UK waters.

same has fossil fuel cars..... off of the roads that is...

Edited by mightyslay3r

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

i wonder what will happen to the classic cars that still peruse the roads when they are binned... they are worth 1,000's now.. will be worth zero then....

its very daunting ...

sorry was off topic.. just thinking out loud

Edited by mightyslay3r

27 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm not sure what's more depressing; humans wiping themselves out, or humans inventing a technology to save themselves at the expense of wiping out various other species.

If the aim is to survive and we are capable of feeding ourselves without relying on mammal and bird populations then it makes sense for humans to eliminate them completely before the shit hits the fan.

Mammals are nicking the oxygen, contributing to pollution and using a lot of land resources. Birds are irritating because they take the piss of us by just flying around in the air. 

Insects are alright but it is going to be ironic when humans are brought to their knees by world and climate events that we did not have the foresight to wipe out those who will be killing and eating our defenceless bodies while it was an available option. 

Seize the moment. Or something like that. 

• Happy 1

15 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Anyone can take that spot. Please don’t think your top of the list.

Some years ago a boatyard owner told me he had given up keeping a mooring waiting list, as when a mooring came available and he rang round the people on his list, invariably most of them had found another mooring, sold the boat etc. but not notified him. He said when there is demand he never has to wait long before someone turns up wanting a mooring. And at times when the demand locally is less than the supply you wouldn't need a list anyway.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Some years ago a boatyard owner told me he had given up keeping a mooring waiting list, as when a mooring came available and he rang round the people on his list, invariably most of them had found another mooring, sold the boat etc. but not notified him. He said when there is demand he never has to wait long before someone turns up wanting a mooring. And at times when the demand locally is less than the supply you wouldn't need a list anyway.

that is exactly what Maz said at lemonroyd.... boats come & go in marina's.... 

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That was plan. But there is no legislation  in place to make it happen, and I can't see this government (or the next) finding time to progress it any time soon.

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That was plan. But there is no legislation  in place to make it happen, and I can't see this government (or the next) finding time to progress it any time soon.

The elephant in the room is that you can plan all you want to ban ICE in boats in future -- what the government is doing -- but unless you also plan to provide some way of meeting their future energy needs -- e.g. canalside/riverside charging stations -- this simply isn't going to be possible. Especially since that means spending more money on canal/river infrastructure, when the government is trying to do precisely the opposite... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Happy 1

43 minutes ago, magnetman said:

If the aim is to survive and we are capable of feeding ourselves without relying on mammal and bird populations then it makes sense for humans to eliminate them completely before the shit hits the fan.

Mammals are nicking the oxygen, contributing to pollution and using a lot of land resources. Birds are irritating because they take the piss of us by just flying around in the air. 

Insects are alright but it is going to be ironic when humans are brought to their knees by world and climate events that we did not have the foresight to wipe out those who will be killing and eating our defenceless bodies while it was an available option. 

Seize the moment. Or something like that. 

You're unfairly maligning the mammals and birds.  Insects can f*** right off.  Especially wasps.  Slugs can do one too.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Going backwards is a fine art with narrow boats. It is well worth taking quite a lot of advice around this rather dicey activity before diving in head first. 

If you're going backwards with suicide seats and hit something you're quite likely to end up diving in head first... 😉

• Happy 1