Cotswold Canals

SteveCourty

Featured Posts

On 19/02/2023 at 15:56, magpie patrick said:

Good stuff, thank you. 

One day, the history of individual canal restorations will be written up, and sources like this will be invaluable

(If only James Brindley had had a youtube channel we'd know so much more about the original canal age!)  

Watching 'The Golden Age Of The Canals' on TV it was sad to see how little filming took place in the 1960's/70/80's canal restoration projects 

Tim

On 19/02/2023 at 07:37, SteveCourty said:

I’ll be down later, I’m filming further up the canal this morning but need to come back for some progress shots and some drone stuff. Say hello, I’m the one in the blue, the less famous guy that turned up yesterday 😂

WEas aware of being buzzed by your drone whilst setting up a bonfire 🙂

16 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Have they dug any of the new route yet, i have it like this:

image.png.475c74b2a82fa2667cc63df8aa4300f6.png

The section through the A38 roundabout has been constructed but the section between there and Westfield Lock (Now renamed John Robinson Lock) has yet to start.

• Greenie 1

On 21/02/2023 at 07:45, Tim Lewis said:

The section through the A38 roundabout has been constructed but the section between there and Westfield Lock (Now renamed John Robinson Lock) has yet to start.

It looks like some excavation has gone on just over from the A38 roundabout on the missing mile, and that seems to be an approximation to the course of the canal. Im aware that there is archaeological digs in the field beyond Westfield Lock where the new course is to run, though that is more clearly laid out as archaeological in squares and not as moorings are planned to exist in the other field? 

Surprised that planned restoration group working/meetings are not often mentioned on the forum. 

6 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It looks like some excavation has gone on just over from the A38 roundabout on the missing mile, and that seems to be an approximation to the course of the canal. Im aware that there is archaeological digs in the field beyond Westfield Lock where the new course is to run, though that is more clearly laid out as archaeological in squares and not as moorings are planned to exist in the other field? 

Surprised that planned restoration group working/meetings are not often mentioned on the forum. 

the field beyond Westfield is to do with forest green rovers and the football pitches.

the A38 is archeological but you can clearly see where they’ve dug what will be the new line and the mooring 

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Heartland said:

A section near the A38 is shown on a recent post on the Cotswolds Canal website

a38 section.png

That's the section between the two new roundabout bridges and the start of "The Missing Mile" (a term that really grates on me for some reason!).

Edited to add Google Maps link: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7647099,-2.3297957,429m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by IanM

12 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

London WRG excavating Westfield (John Robinson) Lock this weekend past

wl.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

London WRG excavating Westfield (John Robinson) Lock this weekend past

wl.jpg

I presume this is the John Robinson who lived in Stonehouse that I knew through the Heritage Working Boats group.

10 hours ago, SteveCourty said:

the field beyond Westfield is to do with forest green rovers and the football pitches.

the A38 is archeological but you can clearly see where they’ve dug what will be the new line and the mooring 

The new Forest Green Rovers ground will be on the other side of the road now beyond and behind the Shell Garage and Starbucks up to the M5. There will be training pitches on the Westfield Lock side but it seems like most digging is where the industrial area is meant to be according to this picture?  

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/eco-park-next-stage-plans-revealed

Eco-Park-Next-Stage-1.jpg?w=740&h=550&q=50&fit=fill

NB The proposed new football regulator may well have a say though as the club will be moving some distance from Forest Green. Perhaps that why Dale Vince organised drilling of some boreholes this week ! 

2 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Those brown scars on the fields reminds me of exactly the same patterns I saw in green fields just to the Northern edge of Kincraig, Inverness-shire.

Within two years the entire field was a housing estate.

Yup, Dale Vince is planning an "Eco Park" on both sides of the main road to the M5. Then when Forest Green stadium is currently (In Forest Green Nailsworth) will be housing. Naturally all environmentally sound sense 😄

All the land pictured is pastureland currently. 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The new Forest Green Rovers ground will be on the other side of the road now beyond and behind the Shell Garage and Starbucks up to the M5. There will be training pitches on the Westfield Lock side but it seems like most digging is where the industrial area is meant to be according to this picture?  

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/eco-park-next-stage-plans-revealed

NB The proposed new football regulator may well have a say though as the club will be moving some distance from Forest Green. Perhaps that why Dale Vince organised drilling of some boreholes this week ! 

Yup, Dale Vince is planning an "Eco Park" on both sides of the main road to the M5. Then when Forest Green stadium is currently (In Forest Green Nailsworth) will be housing. Naturally all environmentally sound sense 😄

All the land pictured is pastureland currently. 

Good grief! Let's hope it never floods like how they've depicted in those renderings!

I took the canoe up there in the autumn, covering all the in-water sections up to Ebley, so some photos of the part that's left to do starting from Saul end:

Very low Whitminster Bridge, to be replaced by a lift bridge (this is the second bridge, for some reason I failed to photograph the one at the end of the moorings at Saul which is similarly low).

IMG_20220925_164234.jpg.d68dac55d1bf3f4d4be630ccdd0ff3f6.jpg

The air draft is less than a canoe. This can be worked around by sliding from end to end, getting one under the beams and then the other.

IMG_20220926_124837.jpg.e7a42359de64776770aba9878d1c507b.jpg

This is completely pointless, because the canal in water ends about 50 yards further along at Whitminster Lock. The River Frome is on the left just over the bank.

IMG_20220925_164210.jpg.340e7e6f7fb760e28db396d61bd02a45.jpg

This section of the River Frome upstream of Whitminster Lock will be used as part of the reinstated navigation; the parallel canal isn't being restored. It's very pretty.

IMG_20220926_130138.jpg.8ba1a89cd30b26f5dad386153659e949.jpg

This is the section of canal the other side of the River Frome. It's in water, starts out well but gets steadily more overgrown.

IMG_20220926_132456.jpg.fc6c9e6a40a88c58a728e7247b567fcb.jpg

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 2

This short culvert under a farm track is in the way.

IMG_20220926_132804.jpg.f0ce6b4d63804130fd0e00af78737bb5.jpg

Then a gas pipe; ok for canoes but not narrowboats. The bridge behind is in very good shape.

IMG_20220926_134827.jpg.e638e8ba7f5260c852c239775ef54837.jpg

The reeds become impassable near the pillbox before reaching the A38, and there's a short gap with no channel at all.

IMG_20220926_141604.jpg.4eebc909bbd15e6c2ccbe457fb6bda05.jpg

...but with a canoe you can do this:

IMG_20220926_145755.jpg.409c342876c4c8af7b5cf2b7ca8db010.jpg

IMG_20220926_150129.jpg.347a23c3fde112a788c364beb6c27695.jpg

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, IanM said:

We've already restored it once! 🤣

Pike Lock - Stroudwater Canal

No gates! Half a job that ;) 

that scaffold has been in for a while now, I’m not sure what’s happening at Pike 

Here’s the video I made from pike to Ocean. There’s loads going on here at the moment now the railway bridge is all done, dredging etc 

https://youtu.be/p6bqqZy9JLM

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, SteveCourty said:

that scaffold has been in for a while now, I’m not sure what’s happening at Pike 

Here’s the video I made from pike to Ocean. There’s loads going on here at the moment now the railway bridge is all done, dredging etc 

https://youtu.be/p6bqqZy9JLM

You got the leak in as well! 

around 18.36- right hand size looks like a small lake, obstructing the footpath 

• Happy 1

34 minutes ago, SteveCourty said:

There was no bridge at the time so gates would have been pretty pointless 😄

Pike Bridge Rebuilding, Eastington - Stroudwater Canal

(Picture taken during the construction of the new bridge)

Edited by IanM
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

41 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

You got the leak in as well! 

around 18.36- right hand size looks like a small lake, obstructing the footpath 

thank you! I wasn’t sure what was happening there, I did get the drone up and closer to it (it didn’t make the video) 

One of the many ways the Cotswold Canals trust help raise money and go green is the Dudbridge Hydro Plant running between 2 locks on the Stroudwater canal. 

In todays video I interview Keith Tibbitts and have a look at the turbine behind the scheme.

https://youtu.be/vJnmMTdO0Pc

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, SteveCourty said:

More on the Westfield lock. This was the work party 2 weeks ago. I was back there today but unfortunately there’s been an access issue so no further digging has been done 

https://youtu.be/yaXbg4UZpl8

Great video Steve! I was chatting to my Dad about this lock only a week ago. Unfortunately he is less mobile now but thanks to you he can see it for himself! 

Thanks again