Widebeam stuck, Union Canal, Edinburgh

AllanD

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Standard Collingwood construction.

The one with all the solar panels and wonky chimbly featured in Waterway World last year. All electric drive.

What's the point of an all-electric drive on a boat so obviously unsuitable for using it on the canals?

23 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Reach group “newspaper”, they trawl local Facebook groups for stories, employ monkeys (no offence @tree monkey) as “reporters”, never use spellcheck or read through their work, and their pages are so ad-heavy they will stop a mobile browser in it’s tracks.

In fact whilst getting the below screenshot it completely froze Chrome on my iPad to the point i had to soft restart it :( 

image.png.a929f770defc9d97d70b63c93d6883fa.png

Nothing a gas axe wont fix... :)

1 hour ago, IanD said:

What's the excuse for the abomination I posted then? Never mind the chimney... 😞

Mobile cannabis grow boat, lots of lovely solar to run your UV lights and extraction fans?

Re: those front corners, i like to call them Bridge Killers

2 hours ago, MtB said:

And if those pointy-outy cabin sides don't hit something solid, that chimney abomination sticking out the port side certainly will! 

That has worried me when I first saw them around here. However, I did a quick check and they do not actually protrude outside the gunnel width but are not in the spirit of a 'loading gauge' for bridges and tunnels. Some do look as if the owners have discovered that they are vulnerable . . .

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

Almost comical. Presumably they won't be continuous cruisers.

It reminds me of a colleague who had a new house built. Rather than have the standard inbuilt wardrobes he made the mistake of ordering fitted bedroom furniture for the master bedroom based on the builder's plans. They were too big. The developer insisted that the brickies were working to a tolerance of 3 inches and he was unlucky. 

Only a problem if the owner thinks that continuous cruisers have to go through a bridge . . . 

27 minutes ago, DreadpirateRedbeard said:

Those 'new ones' are over 20 years old! Not sure they count as new any more.

Compared with the average age of architectural features o the canals, they're still in their infancy, so yes.

If I'd designed that thing I would change my name, sandpaper my fingerprints off, grow a beard and even consider identifying as a bearded lady because I couldn't bear the shame of being recognised as the bloke what built that monster.

4 minutes ago, Bee said:

If I'd designed that thing I would change my name, sandpaper my fingerprints off, grow a beard and even consider identifying as a bearded lady because I couldn't bear the shame of being recognised as the bloke what built that monster.

The bridge-friendly solar wideboat with the chimbley, or the train? 😉

Edited by IanD