Inlander fridge, kaput?

wandering

Featured Posts

Hi there, 

I have an old Inlander fridge onboard and the other day I noticed I couldn’t close the doors fully.  Upon inspection, the freezer compartment was very frosty and icy and the red light was flashing twice.  I decided to turn it off at the mains but now the fridge won’t go back on when I switch it back on at the mains. I changed the fuse to see if that was the culprit but the fuse is fine. Any ideas or is it time to invest in a modern fridge?

20 minutes ago, wandering said:

I’m connected to shoreline, if that makes a difference.  Sorry, when I say mains I mean the on/off plug for the fridge in my engine room. 

A series of two flashes and then a longer off is, according to Danfoss, shows the controller thinks the electrical load on the fan terminal is too high. I have doubts that an Inlander uses a fan, unless you or a previous owner has added one to blow cool air over the evaporator.

3 hours ago, wandering said:

Hi there, 

I have an old Inlander fridge onboard and the other day I noticed I couldn’t close the doors fully.  Upon inspection, the freezer compartment was very frosty and icy and the red light was flashing twice.  I decided to turn it off at the mains but now the fridge won’t go back on when I switch it back on at the mains. I changed the fuse to see if that was the culprit but the fuse is fine. Any ideas or is it time to invest in a modern fridge?

Defrost the icebox fully, not forgetting the top!  If you have one of those steam generators, then it's not a slow job, just needs plenty of cloths to soak up the old ice.

Then it will probably work.

Bod

5 hours ago, Bod said:

Defrost the icebox fully, not forgetting the top!  If you have one of those steam generators, then it's not a slow job, just needs plenty of cloths to soak up the old ice.

Then it will probably work.

Bod

Since turning the fridge off, the ice melted. My issue is now the fridge won’t turn back on as before. 

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

A series of two flashes and then a longer off is, according to Danfoss, shows the controller thinks the electrical load on the fan terminal is too high. I have doubts that an Inlander uses a fan, unless you or a previous owner has added one to blow cool air over the evaporator.

Yes, my belief is the fridge was working harder than normal because the door wasn’t shutting properly for a day or two. When I turned it off, the ice melted away but now the fridge won’t go back on.

36 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Time to get your multimeter out and check if there is power at the fridge to eliminate that as a problem.

Given the status LED is giving pairs of flashes, we know there is power. Whether it is 12Vdc is woerth verifying though.

But given the meaning of the pairs of flashes, the chances of fixing it seem slim. 

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

Given the status LED is giving pairs of flashes, we know there is power. Whether it is 12Vdc is woerth verifying though.

But given the meaning of the pairs of flashes, the chances of fixing it seem slim. 

But is it? 

Are the LEDs still flashing @wandering

34 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That double flash can also occur when the supply voltage is low. Does it work with the engine running?

Or more specifically, does the 'two flash' error report disappear when the engine is running? (Faster than tickover.)

This easy test saves the OP going out and trying to buy a DVM on a Sunday.

I solved the problem, folks. My incompetence knows no bounds: I forgot I set the fridge's temperature dial (it was hidden behind some sausages) to 0. I just turned it now and the fridge came back to life. Gonna go cook those sausages now...

Edited by wandering
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Just now, wandering said:

I solved the problem, folks. My incompetence knows no bounds: I forgot I set the fridge's temperature dial (it was hidden behind some sausages) to 0. I just turned it now and the fridge came back to life. Gonna go cook those sausages now...

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 09.50.13.png

Need to get some chipolatas in future. 👍

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, wandering said:

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 09.50.13.png

Excellent news, thanks for the update!

I think we can safely blame the sausages.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, wandering said:

Probably formed impenetrable walls

walls.jpg

• Haha 1