S.Jackson & Son & Cain

JDUK

Featured Posts

Hi 

I’m about dip into the deep end and buy my first Narrowboat. We have decided to skip ahead to get a boat that will last us for more than 5yrs - meaning a decent size budget. 

we have seen a s.Jackson & son boat that’s been fitted out by Cain.  I haven’t really come across these during my lengthy search history and wondered if anyone has good or bad experiences of these builders/fitted?  

many thanks

J&J

Edited by JDUK
Spelling

18 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Springers built loads.

Legend at Denam Deep built lots.

Quantity dies not always mean quality

I thought the Leg End bent boats came out of the shed just above Lot Mead lock. 

Happy to be wrong. Totally mad boats those ones with the awful diesel outboards. 

I would not put them in the same box as Springers. The latter were alright. Cheap boats for people on a budget but I don't recall seeing a Springer boat which was anything like as bad as the Legend rubbish. 

In fact I believe that Legend got closed down by trading standards eventually. 

Edited by magnetman

Jackson's have had a change of personnel since Johny London got his from them. Seem to be well regarded now. IIRC, they have done shells for Oakums to fit out.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/102917-cheshire-boats-is-s-jackson-and-sons/

ETA, Johny's shell was built by DP Bridgeman, so not Jacksons

Edited by Puffling

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I thought the Leg End bent boats came out of the shed just above Lot Mead lock. 

Happy to be wrong. Totally mad boats those ones with the awful diesel outboards. 

I would not put them in the same box as Springers. The latter were alright. Cheap boats for people on a budget but I don't recall seeing a Springer boat which was anything like as bad as the Legend rubbish. 

In fact I believe that Legend got closed down by trading standards eventually. 

All I remember is there used to be loads around Denem Deep lock in various build stages. Some had cabins that were longer on the port side then starboard side. There was one called Lucy which moors on the River Lea I believe or it did when I last spoke with the owner. Moored alongside it at Henley rally 1998 ish

Legend boats were built above lot mead lock and then in an industrial unit at Croxley Green.

The first legend was launched across the towpath from the ex bw building compound out of sight of waterways by crane one day.

I admit to being responsible for welding the baseplates, together on that boat, and putting down the engine beds. Not the curved or visible bits.

The first was not a thing of beauty. The bows were curved by pushing with a forklift and tacking the plate, before seam welding. No wonder they were asymmetrical .

I think the counter was rolled though.

As for the outboard ones horrendous but they could be sold as an unpowered houseboat  saving money.

I only helped on the first  while between my permanent jobs, and we left Ricky later that year. 
We visited 3 years later by then mass production in the unit was going on, cnc cutting etc. A better product, but built for those who wanted rock bottom prices.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Puffling said:

Jackson's have had a change of personnel since Johny London got his from them. Seem to be well regarded now. IIRC, they have done shells for Oakums to fit out.

I'm not sure they are well regarded yet....I wasnt impressed with the steelwork on the ones I have seen.