cambridge mooring

VincePam

Featured Posts

Just now, VincePam said:

:D 

"In view of the somewhat nebulous and inexplicit nature of your remit, and the arguably marginal and peripheral nature of your influence within the central deliberations and decisions within the political process, there could be a case for restructuring their action priorities in such a way as to eliminate your liquidation from their immediate agenda."

44 minutes ago, VincePam said:

Thanks. Makes sense but also complicates things further as I would need planning permissions etc . But I will consider it if roads are in the vicinity. 

If you contact the 'marina' directly, he also has moorings to rent. There are also moorings further up stream (or it could be down stream).

1 hour ago, VincePam said:

Yes makes sense, not the best solution but feasible if nothing else is available closer to Cambridge or easier/faster to travel to

Thanks. EA consent is automatic and fast or lengthy and arbitrary?

I just had a quick look. Ely to Cambridge North, about five trains an hour at peak times, journey time 15 minutes. So if this college is near Cambridge North station, it could be quite convenient.

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

I just had a quick look. Ely to Cambridge North, about five trains an hour at peak times, journey time 15 minutes. So if this college is near Cambridge North station, it could be quite convenient.

I seem to recall that the guided bus way runs next to the river for some of it length between St Ives and Cambridge too.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Thanks. Is looking more and more as an option

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I seem to recall that the guided bus way runs next to the river for some of it length between St Ives and Cambridge too.

38 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

If he's at CRC, I think that's on the guided busway too, which might open up Hartford and Huntingdon, but you'll still want to check timetables carefully

About 1/2 mile or so from river until it gets to around Swavesey when they part company. 

The guided bus is an hourly service from Hartford to Cambridge but we tend to drive to St Ives P&R when the service is every 15/20 minutes.

Cambridge Regional College is the next stop after Histon, or second stop back from Cambridge North.

In this situation I would prioritise the child and easy access to school over the dream of living on a boat. 

If it is a cost saving measure then be careful. If there is a genuine need for subsidised housing this can quite often be achieved via local council and housing benefit if you can prove local connection and lack of means.  

If it is just because living on a boat looks cool and seems cheaper then think long and hard about priorities. Living in boats is nothing like living in houses or flats, even if you have a fully serviced residential mooring. 

I've got small children so do have some experience on this. 

Prioritise the comfort of the young ones. They will thank you later even if at the time it seems annoying. 

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is a Government department - does that answer the question ?

Humphrey (Yes Minister) would no doubt be able to give you a good reason for any delays !!

My inner Humprey would point out that the EA is a NDPB (non departmental public body) not a government department.  My new year resolution is to be less pedantic,  I am clearly doing well. More helpfully ...

https://www.gov.uk/permission-work-on-river-flood-sea-defence

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, pearley said:

About 1/2 mile or so from river until it gets to around Swavesey when they part company. 

The guided bus is an hourly service from Hartford to Cambridge but we tend to drive to St Ives P&R when the service is every 15/20 minutes.

Cambridge Regional College is the next stop after Histon, or second stop back from Cambridge North.

Great thanks

11 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

My inner Humprey would point out that the EA is a NDPB (non departmental public body) not a government department.  My new year resolution is to be less pedantic,  I am clearly doing well. More helpfully ...

https://www.gov.uk/permission-work-on-river-flood-sea-defence

Great!

21 hours ago, magnetman said:

In this situation I would prioritise the child and easy access to school over the dream of living on a boat. 

If it is a cost saving measure then be careful. If there is a genuine need for subsidised housing this can quite often be achieved via local council and housing benefit if you can prove local connection and lack of means.  

If it is just because living on a boat looks cool and seems cheaper then think long and hard about priorities. Living in boats is nothing like living in houses or flats, even if you have a fully serviced residential mooring. 

I've got small children so do have some experience on this. 

Prioritise the comfort of the young ones. They will thank you later even if at the time it seems annoying. 

I would add that the partner and the child must also be onboard for this great adventure too, not just the OP. Living on a boat can be a great shock for the unprepared.It's not very similar to living in a house; albeit they do have some sail boat experience.

28 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would add that the partner and the child must also be onboard for this great adventure too, not just the OP. Living on a boat can be a great shock for the unprepared.It's not very similar to living in a house; albeit they do have some sail boat experience.

Yep.  They seem fine with it, but I want to buy cheap at first.... just in case :)

• Happy 1

The length of the waiting list for Cambridge is said to be 12 years for a broad beam mooring and 7 years for a narrowbeam mooring. a former neighbour had to wait 9 years before he reached the top of the list for a mooring.

Buses in Cambridgeshire are very hit and miss due to the shortage of bus drivers, More so on the weekend as many of the replacement bus routes for the ones chopped last October by Stagecoach only run Monday to Friday or run only in the early morning aand late afternoon with a 7 hour gap between. I had to get from Cambridge to March last Saturday. As no trains were running to March thanks to the RMT sponsored  National Holiday, I had to use buses taking aroundbout route of nearly 70 miles with long waits between buses. Normally it would take 30 minuites to cover the 32 miles to March by rail. I left The Royal Papworth at 10.30am and did not arrive in March until nearly 7pm. Before Stagecoach cut 18 of its routes, I could take a bus from Cambridge to March taking 2 hours.       

As for the moneypit that is the accdent prone busway which is falling apart, with one section that has been closed for months since a bus killed a person on the path with its wing mirror. Ticket machines don't work, services have been reduced, one company has pulled out. The ride is rough and you feel every joint that you go over.      

41 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The length of the waiting list for Cambridge is said to be 12 years for a broad beam mooring and 7 years for a narrowbeam mooring. a former neighbour had to wait 9 years before he reached the top of the list for a mooring.

Buses in Cambridgeshire are very hit and miss due to the shortage of bus drivers, More so on the weekend as many of the replacement bus routes for the ones chopped last October by Stagecoach only run Monday to Friday or run only in the early morning aand late afternoon with a 7 hour gap between. I had to get from Cambridge to March last Saturday. As no trains were running to March thanks to the RMT sponsored  National Holiday, I had to use buses taking aroundbout route of nearly 70 miles with long waits between buses. Normally it would take 30 minuites to cover the 32 miles to March by rail. I left The Royal Papworth at 10.30am and did not arrive in March until nearly 7pm. Before Stagecoach cut 18 of its routes, I could take a bus from Cambridge to March taking 2 hours.       

As for the moneypit that is the accdent prone busway which is falling apart, with one section that has been closed for months since a bus killed a person on the path with its wing mirror. Ticket machines don't work, services have been reduced, one company has pulled out. The ride is rough and you feel every joint that you go over.      

Yes not simple even by car. Is all jammed nowadays

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The plans for a increase in buses is a joke, there is a large shortage of bus drivers for the current routes now. Even £2 max fare are going to get more people on buses while they go round the houses, stopping at every lampost. Cambridge to Huntingdon via the busway 1 hour 40 minuites to cover 22 miles. On Saturday, I counted only 17 people getting on and off the bus between Cambridge and Huntingdon. Yet the council useage figures claim that every bus is full   

5 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

The plans for a increase in buses is a joke, there is a large shortage of bus drivers for the current routes now. Even £2 max fare are going to get more people on buses while they go round the houses, stopping at every lampost. Cambridge to Huntingdon via the busway 1 hour 40 minuites to cover 22 miles. On Saturday, I counted only 17 people getting on and off the bus between Cambridge and Huntingdon. Yet the council useage figures claim that every bus is full   

I think may depend on what time you travel. I'm a 'twerly' with a bus pass so find the first few buses after 9.30 very full, even people getting on at Fen Drayton Lakes which is really just for those visiting the nature reserve. 

And of course, the college is on a break at present, it may have gone back yesterday.

43 minutes ago, pearley said:

I think may depend on what time you travel. I'm a 'twerly' with a bus pass so find the first few buses after 9.30 very full, even people getting on at Fen Drayton Lakes which is really just for those visiting the nature reserve. 

And of course, the college is on a break at present, it may have gone back yesterday.

I have found that the buses before 9.30 are often less than half empty, the same between 5 and 6. The first few buses after 9.30 will be busy with the free bus pass holders. The inflated figures qouted by the council would mean that every bus on the busway is full with people siting on the roof and hanging off the sides. Yet services have been cut in half by Stagecoach with the routes now going round the houses replacing the town services and Whippet removed its services from the busway, in the days of the Huntingdon and District bus company the travel time between Huntingdon and Cambridge via the A14 was only a hour. Yet most of the council bus funding is thrown at the busway, In north Cambridgeshire are routes have been chopped to bits and whats left only runs after 8am and stops before 6pm with long waits between buses. The last bus from Peterborough to March leaves at 5.20pm. last bus from March to Chatteris 3.15pm with no services at the weekend. Ely to Chatteris 5.10pm, March to Wisbich via the station 5.10pm.

Yet with a max fare of £2 you would expect a increase in useage, yet it is the long travel times to cover a short distance that puts people off not the fare. Hence I use the train between March and Cambridge (30 minuites) and not the now chopped X8 March Cambridge bus service whih took two hours at half the fare.            

6 hours ago, VincePam said:

Thanks. I got that as well. It makes sense but not in line with the idea of becoming "nomadic" albeit only virtually for a couple of years. But thank

Even if pursuing a "nomadic" lifestyle (is this really doable on inland waterways?) a base mooring is a very handy thing to have. 

Those look like brilliant value to me although admittedly you would probably get various sorts of Nazis looking out for permanent occupation of the mooring site. 

I guess someone will buy one and put in an application for planning permission for residential use. If that application were successful it seems like those moorings might be worth a bit more than that. There is room for a good solar array by the boat so easy enough to sort electric. 

Edited by magnetman