Diesel Heaters

BODs SR2

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

They leak like a sieve.

So in a confined space like a boat's hull exhaust fumes can/will build up and eventually kill you. Mainly by CO but could also drown you in CO2. It might also be hard to install the heater high enough in the hull to let condensation drain fro the exhaust outlet in the hull so a special exhaust is needed. You don't want condensation running back into the combustion chamber.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So in a confined space like a boat's hull exhaust fumes can/will build up and eventually kill you. Mainly by CO but could also drown you in CO2. It might also be hard to install the heater high enough in the hull to let condensation drain fro the exhaust outlet in the hull so a special exhaust is needed. You don't want condensation running back into the combustion chamber.

Thanks. What are the special features of a marine exhaust. Sorry just trying to grasp it all. 

5 minutes ago, BODs SR2 said:

Thanks. What are the special features of a marine exhaust. Sorry just trying to grasp it all. 

They don't leak or fall to bits! Supposedly. I don't know for sure as I'm still trying to buy one.

The silencers that come with the cheap heaters are two thin pressed steel shapes spot-welded together at about about 1" pitch, so exhaust gas leaks out foem between them. And there is a condensate drain hole from which exhaust gas issues.

Also, the pipe connection spigots fall out easily on mine. Just a total disaster in every way. 

The plain-ended stainless steel pipe sections don't clamp up tight on the spigots either, no matter how much you tighten the clamps, so they fall off easily and-or leak. 

Edited by MtB

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hull fitting (first Google hit, not necessarily a recommendation)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/bulrusely-Exhaust-Eberspacher-Installation-Resistant/dp/B099WQQJVG

The "marine exhaust" under discussion is MUCH harder to buy though. Difficult as there is no "Add to cart" button.

This one:

https://www.melloronline.co.uk/Heater_Installation_Accessories_/10122/Marine_Exhaust_Silencer_with_lagging_24mm_2m_lg.html

There is however this one on Amazon, for an extra £100!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Webasto-Eberspacher-Silencer-9014067A-1322001A/dp/B016PZRY3E/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=marine+exhaust+24mm&qid=1672069227&sr=8-4

5 hours ago, MtB said:

They don't leak or fall to bits! Supposedly. I don't know for sure as I'm still trying to buy one.

The silencers that come with the cheap heaters are two thin pressed steel shapes spot-welded together at about about 1" pitch, so exhaust gas leaks out foem between them. And there is a condensate drain hole from which exhaust gas issues.

Also, the pipe connection spigots fall out easily on mine. Just a total disaster in every way. 

The plain-ended stainless steel pipe sections don't clamp up tight on the spigots either, no matter how much you tighten the clamps, so they fall off easily and-or leak. 

None of which is a problem if you are going to install the exhaust and silencer on the underside of your caravan or RV, but a different kettle of fish if you are going to install them within a boat, where leaking exhaust fumes and carbon monoxide will be contained within the boat hull.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

None of which is a problem if you are going to install the exhaust and silencer on the underside of your caravan or RV, but a different kettle of fish if you are going to install them within a boat, where leaking exhaust fumes and carbon monoxide will be contained within the boat hull.

I fitted the exhaust on mine direct to the hull outlet and dispensed with the silencer (which made very little difference to the noise level).

It whistles a bit on the start up cycle, but on a lowish setting it is almost inaudible from outside the boat.

7 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I fitted the exhaust on mine direct to the hull outlet and dispensed with the silencer (which made very little difference to the noise level).

On mine (installed in my workshop) adding the cheapo silencer gives a substantial reduction in noise level.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Ive noticed a few boats recently where the bulk of the the exhaust and silencer are mounted on the outside of the boat. 

OK, admittedly its not the most beautiful install but if you are on a tight budget its a sensible way to to get round any potential exhaust leaks.

5 minutes ago, Telstar said:

Brilliant, thanks.

Looks just the job so I've ordered one given Mellor don't seem to want anyone ordering stuff from them. 

I'll let the board know what it's like when it arrives.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It does look like a proper job. If it's a good 'un once fitted this should probably be a sticky somewhere or other as the answer to one of the most perennial of issues.

I'd have preferred the Mellor one as it comes with two x 24mm flexible exhaust tubes already welded on, saving two mechanical joints in the exhaust, internally.

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd have preferred the Mellor one as it comes with two x 24mm flexible exhaust tubes already welded on, saving two mechanical joints in the exhaust, internally.

Are flexible exhausts a potential source of leaking?

On 26/12/2022 at 20:23, Mad Harold said:

It whistles a bit on the start up cycle, but on a lowish setting it is almost inaudible from outside the boat.

I did the same. Binned the original silencer. I do have endless sleepless nights worrying about the fluid build up in the exhaust though. I then tell myself it probably burns off, or drains out, and go back to sleep wondering if I really need to buy one of these:

s-l1600.jpg