Alternator too small

LadyG

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

One other thing whilst talking about adjusting alternator belts. I don't think this will apply to LadyG's engine. Unceasingly the slotted adjusting bracket is fitted with a  jacking screw that pushes on the bolt through the slotted bracket. When fitting a new belt the jacking screw will need unscrewing. It makes tensioning easier because the screw holds the tension on the belt rather than trying to use a lever to keep tension on the belt and tighten the clamp bolt at the same time.

And another permutation - a threaded adjuster bar :

IMG_20151210_175954.jpg

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Do note that as of today the days are getting Longer.😀  What you doing for Christmas?

getting drunk 🤪

down at me moms, 

another week with no boating 😢

my favourite way would normally be to spend Xmas morning boating to a pub for early doors and having a few dinner time beers. 

where you to?

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And another permutation - a threaded adjuster bar :

IMG_20151210_175954.jpg

let’s see if LadyG has yet another permutation 😂

Mine is blue so nothing like that one!

I could try a photo, so you can tell me what I've got :)

I bought steak and Yorkshire pudding and a bottle of wine . I've made onion gravy but the wine is bit harsh for the pice £8.50, I gyped at £12.50 for something that looked similar but with gold writing 

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I bought steak and Yorkshire pudding and a bottle of wine . I've made onion gravy but the wine is bit harsh for the pice £8.50, I gyped at £12.50 for something that looked similar but with gold writing 

The blue and red is only paint applied by the mariniser. A photo may or may not allow us to identify the make and model, especially the back.

The red engine photo was put up to illustrate a third type of "slotted" adjuster bracket. I don't think yours is like that one. The chances are it is just as you describe, a bracket with a long slot in it.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The blue and red is only paint applied by the mariniser. A photo may or may not allow us to identify the make and model, especially the back.

The red engine photo was put up to illustrate a third type of "slotted" adjuster bracket. I don't think yours is like that one. The chances are it is just as you describe, a bracket with a long slot in it.

Yes just joking about paint, but it still does not resemble that construction.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes just joking about paint, but it still does not resemble that construction.

Not surprised, I think the red one is on a six cylinder Ford so truck technology. I think yours is a four cylinder Isuzu industrial technology.

Yours is more likely to be similar to the Lister photo but it might be mounted the other way up with the slotted bracket below the alternator.  You can not see the single long bolt or the pair of nuts and bolts below that alternator that you need to slacken to alow the alternator to swivel.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 22/12/2022 at 18:56, LadyG said:

Buying Yorkshire Pudding?

Surely you mean buying eggs, flour and milk?

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Buying Yorkshire Pudding?

Surely you mean buying eggs, flour and milk?

I buy them too. 

I'll make and cook most things but like boiled eggs, I find making Yorkshire pudding difficult and unpredictable, so I buy it instead. 

Now if only Tesco sold perfectly cooked soft boiled eggs like they do Yorkies...

We buy 'em too for the same reason, on the odd occasion we try home made we get varying results, on the rare occasion it turns out just right it beats any bought one, a nice big square slab of heaven, soft and golden in the middle, high browned crust on the edge + another slab with Golden Syrup for pud

Edited by nb Innisfree

30 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

We buy 'em too for the same reason, on the odd occasion we try home made we get varying results, on the rare occasion it turns out just right it beats any bought one, a nice big square slab of heaven, soft and golden in the middle, high browned crust on the edge + another slab with Golden Syrup for pud

True. But then there are the ones that  ome out like Frisbees... 😞

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Fixed that for you. :)

Funny you should say that. I make and eat food for the taste, rather than what it looks like!

And Yorkshire pudding is one of the most sublimely difficult things to get right. Modern recipes use loads of egg to get the rise and the look, but this destroys the taste IMO. Get the look right and it tasters of nothing.

Aunt Bessie brand yorkies get the taste and texture broadly right IMO, 100% reliably but they are still not a patch on the Yorkshire pudding my mum used to make. Which oddly, I could make just as well too as a teenager but only if she was in the kitchen too. She is long passed away now along with perfect Yorkshires. Happy Xmas Mum. Oh, and to you lot here too! 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Funny you should say that. I make and eat food for the taste, rather than what it looks like!

And Yorkshire pudding is one of the most sublimely difficult things to get right. Modern recipes use loads of egg to get the rise and the look, but this destroys the taste IMO. Get the look right and it tasters of nothing.

Aunt Bessie brand yorkies get the taste and texture broadly right IMO, 100% reliably but they are still not a patch on the Yorkshire pudding my mum used to make. Which oddly, I could make just as well too as a teenager but only if she was in the kitchen too. She is long passed away now along with perfect Yorkshires. Happy Xmas Mum. Oh, and to you lot here too! 

Yes I agree, Dad was our Yorkshire pud supremo, only prob was getting it out of the oven after it had risen!

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks Eeyore

If LadyG found that then the advice she had been given that suggested she only had to loosen the bolt in the slotted bracket  would not have helped much - which is why I suggested things may not be quiet as described and a bit more complicated.

Very similar to the 'tighten up the nut' adjuster on my Ford engines.

• Greenie 1