Living on a boat with Universal Credit

Hass87

Featured Posts

I have a question regarding living on a boat and claiming Universal credit.

I have recently unfortunately had a relationship breakdown where I was living with my ex partner and since splitting have found it difficult to find affordable housing. 

The option may be there for me to reside on a boat for a period of time. I'm currently claiming Universal credit and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice or information as to what fees are eligible to be paid. 

The Boat is not morred at a private mooring and the owner has a continuous traveller licence. 

2 minutes ago, Hass87 said:

The Boat is not morred at a private mooring and the owner has a continuous traveller licence. 

The 1st thing to consider is that when the boat is sold, all licences are cancelled and you must make the correct declaration, insure and and licence it in your name.

If you do not plan to have a mooring, are you fully aware of what making the "boat with no home mooring" (CC Licence) declaration entails ?

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 1st thing to consider is that when the boat is sold, all licences are cancelled and you must make the correct declaration, insure and and licence it in your name.

If you do not plan to have a mooring, are you fully aware of what making the "boat with no home mooring" (CC Licence) declaration entails ?

If you read the OP correctly, I dont think he is buying the boat...... merely "residing" on it

24 minutes ago, Hass87 said:

The option may be there for me to reside on a boat for a period of time. I'm currently claiming Universal credit and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice or information as to what fees are eligible to be paid. 

Reading between the lines, is this a boat owned by and currently lived on already by someone else? And they are giving you a roof over your head?Or possibly charging you rent?

I know nothing about Universal Credit but I suspect the answers to the above would be relevant. Others here may be able to answer your question with a bit more detail about your circumstances.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Reading between the lines, is this a boat owned by and currently lived on already by someone else? And they are giving you a roof over your head?Or possibly charging you rent?

I know nothing about Universal Credit but I suspect the answers to the above would be relevant. Others here may be able to answer your question with a bit more detail about your circumstances.

Having re-read the OP, I see where you are coming from - he is not looking to buy but to live on a boat., either with or without (we don't know) the owner.

Certainly if you own the boat I have been able to assist a couple of boaters get their moorings, Insurance and licence fees paid by the Local Authority.

If he is 'sofa surfing' it may be very different, and, if he is renting the boat (or part of the boat) then again that is a whole new can of worms regarding 'hire boat' legislation.

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Having re-read the OP, I see where you are coming from - he is not looking to buy but to live on a boat., either with or without (we don't know) the owner.

Certainly if you own the boat I have been able to assist a couple of boaters get their moorings, Insurance and licence fees paid by the Local Authority.

If he is 'sofa surfing' it may be very different, and, if he is renting the boat (or part of the boat) then again that is a whole new can of worms regarding 'hire boat' legislation.

Even more out of focus and between even more lines, I'm wondering it the OP is hoping not to compromise his or her current universal credit benefit(s) by moving onto the boat.

Possibly trying to work out in advance what the result might be of fessing up to The Man about their change in circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hi it wouldn't be sofa surfing I would be looking to rent the boat as a living space. Its not currently being resided on but the license is for a continuous traveller. And is moved by the owner of the license in the required amount of time. 

It is somebody that I personally know. And they own the boat. And have offered me an opportunity to rent it from them for a period. 

I have been trying to gather information into regards of this online. But it's rather confusing.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

There is a very good Facebook group called benefits for boaters, it is very well run with a couple of very knowledgeable admins, I would highly recommend it

Benefits for boaters I will give it a search. I did think I heard of a similar group before

2 minutes ago, Hass87 said:

Hi it wouldn't be sofa surfing I would be looking to rent the boat as a living space. Its not currently being resided on but the license is for a continuous traveller. And is moved by the owner of the license in the required amount of time. 

It is somebody that I personally know. And they own the boat. And have offered me an opportunity to rent it from them for a period. 

That is a real can of worms as it wont be a legal rental and if you then involve the authorities who knows where it could go.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is a real can of worms as it wont be a legal rental and if you then involve the authorities who knows where it could go.

OK so is there a way of making it a legal rental. Is there a way I can do it without affecting my benefits. As this current stage I'm also struggling to find employment after being signed off sick for an extended period of time. 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What if I am able to become the owner of the license as a continuous traveller. Would that then give me any legal right. And is that possible to do. Or would ownership of the oat be needed. 

I'm asking all these questions as I'm close to being homeless and I'm trying to explore my options to prevent any further harm. Local authorities are not  being much help when it comes to my housing situation 

12 minutes ago, Hass87 said:

OK so is there a way of making it a legal rental. Is there a way I can do it without affecting my benefits. As this current stage I'm also struggling to find employment after being signed off sick for an extended period of time. 

What if I am able to become the owner of the license as a continuous traveller. Would that then give me any legal right. And is that possible to do. Or would ownership of the oat be needed. 

I'm asking all these questions as I'm close to being homeless and I'm trying to explore my options to prevent any further harm. Local authorities are not  being much help when it comes to my housing situation 

That I can't answer, sorry. But if you look at the CRT web site you will see whats required for renting, BSS, Insurance etc. I wish I could help more

9 minutes ago, Hass87 said:

Basically the OWNER of the boat (if it is offered for rental) MUST have :

A commercial licence and a mooring (No CC licence)

A commercial safety certificate which is much more demading than a standard 'not for hire' boat safety certificate

Commercial (business) insurance for 'hiring boats'

A landlords Gas and Electricity safety certificate (the same as for renting a flat).

There are several links on the C&RT website about renting a boat.

Renting a boat to live on | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

Renting a boat to live on

If you're thinking about living on a rented out boat there are a few checks to carry out before moving in. So if you're thinking of hiring out your own boat read on.

and this from the London Boaters Group

Many media outlets have branded the current financial climate as a ‘cost of living crisis’. Household finances are being squeezed as the cost of everything from fuel to furniture increases.

With budgets being watched by an ever-eager eye, some will undoubtedly look to cut costs by downsizing. This could mean that more people look to the waterways to set up a new life.

Of course, a proportion of the record numbers who took a holiday afloat last year might also want to permanently be on the cut for reasons more associated with the lifestyle. All-in-all, we might see more people wanting to live afloat this year and that could mean that some will want to ‘try before they buy’ and rent for a period first.

If this sounds like you and you go to inspect a possible boat, make sure it’s displaying a valid navigation authority licence – for boats on our waterways, a square licence should be in the window facing outwards. This will have the letters ‘SL’ clearly marked in the centre if the boat is licensed for static letting and the letters ‘SDHH’ if it is licensed for holiday hire. Please don't rent a boat without the correct type of licence – it will not have been checked that it meets the standards for letting and could be potentially unsafe.

Just under five years ago we introduced a new static letting licence for static boats that covers all types of boat rental, including long-term renting, Airbnb-style short breaks, and overnight stays. The boat needs to have a permanent mooring and should, if you’re an owner considering this, you should talk to your local planning authority to see if planning permission is needed. For clarity, this means that continuously cruising boats cannot be rented out.

The static letting licence has more rigorous requirements to make sure that both the boat is safe and that potential renters are fully briefed before spending a night on board. Boat owners will need to have: proof of adequate insurance; a non-private Boat Safety Scheme certificate conforming to hire boat safety standards; a detailed handover document including emergency procedures and contact numbers; a landlord Gas Safety Certificate; and written permission from their mooring provider. You can apply for the licence via our licensing portal.

If you want to read more on the subject then there’s a great rundown of the ins and outs, from a boater’s perspective, in this article.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A commercial safety certificate which is much more demading than a standard 'not for hire' boat safety certificate

A landlords Gas and Electricity safety certificate (the same as for renting a flat).

If you're thinking about living on a rented out boat there are a few checks to carry out before moving in. So if you're thinking of hiring out your own boat read on.

Many media outlets have branded the current financial climate as a ‘cost of living crisis’. Household finances are being squeezed as the cost of everything from fuel to furniture increases.

With budgets being watched by an ever-eager eye, some will undoubtedly look to cut costs by downsizing. This could mean that more people look to the waterways to set up a new life.

Of course, a proportion of the record numbers who took a holiday afloat last year might also want to permanently be on the cut for reasons more associated with the lifestyle. All-in-all, we might see more people wanting to live afloat this year and that could mean that some will want to ‘try before they buy’ and rent for a period first.

If this sounds like you and you go to inspect a possible boat, make sure it’s displaying a valid navigation authority licence – for boats on our waterways, a square licence should be in the window facing outwards. This will have the letters ‘SL’ clearly marked in the centre if the boat is licensed for static letting and the letters ‘SDHH’ if it is licensed for holiday hire. Please don't rent a boat without the correct type of licence – it will not have been checked that it meets the standards for letting and could be potentially unsafe.

Just under five years ago we introduced a new static letting licence for static boats that covers all types of boat rental, including long-term renting, Airbnb-style short breaks, and overnight stays. The boat needs to have a permanent mooring and should, if you’re an owner considering this, you should talk to your local planning authority to see if planning permission is needed. For clarity, this means that continuously cruising boats cannot be rented out.

The static letting licence has more rigorous requirements to make sure that both the boat is safe and that potential renters are fully briefed before spending a night on board. Boat owners will need to have: proof of adequate insurance; a non-private Boat Safety Scheme certificate conforming to hire boat safety standards; a detailed handover document including emergency procedures and contact numbers; a landlord Gas Safety Certificate; and written permission from their mooring provider. You can apply for the licence via our licensing portal.

If you want to read more on the subject then there’s a great rundown of the ins and outs, from a boater’s perspective, in this article.

Thank-you for this information. This helps a lot and told me a lot I did not know. 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That I can't answer, sorry. But if you look at the CRT web site you will see whats required for renting, BSS, Insurance etc. I wish I could help more

I appreciate the help. 

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So Can I also ask then as you mentioned it before. 

If it were the case I was to be "sofa surfing" on a boat and not a case of renting. Would that make any difference.

Just asking now as I'm intrigued. 

4 minutes ago, Hass87 said:

So Can I also ask then as you mentioned it before. 

If it were the case I was to be "sofa surfing" on a boat and not a case of renting. Would that make any difference.

Just asking now as I'm intrigued. 

If you are not paying anything then it is not a commercial renting and the legal documentation is not needed.

If you are simply being GIVEN a bed for a few days / weeks and are just maybe 'contributing to food costs then both you and the owner will be completely legal.

Just for your information, there have been a number of examples of people renting a 'non-legal' boat and claiming they are just sofa-surfing with a friend, but the boat has sunk and they have lost EVERYTHING they own - and potentially could have lost their lives.

If it is not licenced and checked for safety then do not try and go 'under the radar'. If it was likely yo pass the requirements then the owner would have it tested and licenced correctly.

The cost to rent a fully compliant boat is normally around £1000 -£2000 per month (about the same as a flat !) because the requirements to make the boat legal are very expensive.

If you want to rent a legal boat then try these people :

Long Term Hire - Rose Narrowboats (rose-narrowboats.co.uk)

or

Escape the Rat Race (etrr.co.uk)

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Hass87 said:

I have a question regarding living on a boat and claiming Universal credit.

I have recently unfortunately had a relationship breakdown where I was living with my ex partner and since splitting have found it difficult to find affordable housing. 

Sounds as though your accomodation problem is about to become acute.

If I was in that position (thank heavens I'm not) I would accept your friend's offer and chip in to food and costs on an informal basis.The amount has of course to be agreed.

I am sure you are aware that on a continuous cruiser licence the boat has to move every two weeks, and not just to the next lock.Shouldn't be a problem for you as you are not working,so you may need to learn how to handle a boat to assist your friend in this.

A problem I can see is claiming benefits without a home address, but I have no experience of this,others may be able to advise.

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are not paying anything then it is not a commercial renting and the legal documentation is not needed.

If you are simply being GIVEN a bed for a few days / weeks and are just maybe 'contributing to food costs then both you and the owner will be completely legal.

Just for your information, there have been a number of examples of people renting a 'non-legal' boat and claiming they are just sofa-surfing with a friend, but the boat has sunk and they have lost EVERYTHING they own - and potentially could have lost their lives.

If it is not licenced and checked for safety then do not try and go 'under the radar'. If it was likely yo pass the requirements then the owner would have it tested and licenced correctly.

The cost to rent a fully compliant boat is normally around £1000 -£2000 per month (about the same as a flat !) because the requirements to make the boat legal are very expensive.

or

Once again thanks for this information. Very informative. And I will take a look on the sites you have attached. 

12 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Sounds as though your accomodation problem is about to become acute.

If I was in that position (thank heavens I'm not) I would accept your friend's offer and chip in to food and costs on an informal basis.The amount has of course to be agreed.

I am sure you are aware that on a continuous cruiser licence the boat has to move every two weeks, and not just to the next lock.Shouldn't be a problem for you as you are not working,so you may need to learn how to handle a boat to assist your friend in this.

A problem I can see is claiming benefits without a home address, but I have no experience of this,others may be able to advise.

I think the real problem is if trying to claim benefit to pay the rent on the boat.

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

or

Thank you for the free advert! However, we don't hire boats where the primary function is residential - unless the boat is going to a bonafide mooring either arranged by us or the hirer.

• Greenie 2

I'd certainly keep it as an informal agreement, to avoid all the legal pitfalls. The problems with these seem to arise when the owner wants his boat back as where do you go? Also when the big bills come in (and they will), you get the use but the owner has to pay, and will you, without being able to claim rent via UC, be able to reimburse the owner for the licence, safety cert and repair bills?

No worse than sorting out how to manage renting, these days, but it all needs thinking about. But anything is better than being on the street.

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think the real problem is if trying to claim benefit to pay the rent on the boat.

I suspect that the benefits people are going to be asking some very pertinent questions if you roll up with a rent book that says "NB Whatever, on the Tow Path"

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It is long winded, but relatively simple process to get the LA to pay your mooring fees, Insurance and Licence (at least it was a few years ago in Nottinghamshire) as you have paper evidence of everything.

Living on a boat not on a mooring with electricity, water and lavatory waste disposal is much harder than living in a flat. And if you have to move the boat regularly, as you do on a cruising licence, it will get very complicated. How you would then claim benefits is unknown.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is long winded, but relatively simple process to get the LA to pay your mooring fees, Insurance and Licence (at least it was a few years ago in Nottinghamshire) as you have paper evidence of everything.

Not when its someone else's boat with no mooring and being rented outside the navigation authorities requirements.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not when its someone else's boat with no mooring and being rented outside the navigation authorities requirements.

The point is that you simply can't clain for any expenses paid outside a legal agreement, so the OP would only be able to claim the basic living expenses, not anything at all for the boat as he wouldn't own it.

But the owner would still have all the incidental expenses of licencing etc, plus insurance which would presumably be 3rd party only and may not be valid even as that (if that matters, which it probably doesn't - in 30 years I've had no claim). Even as a CC that's possibly £1000 a year for the OP to find on top of all other expenses. Living on a boat is, I found, vastly cheaper than a house and you can largely tailor your fuel bills to your income but it's a lot to consider. 

As a short term solution to being homeless it's great, as a long term probably not as sooner or later the owner will want his boat back.

• Greenie 1

It all gets a lot more straightforward if you own the boat you live on. Basic boats can be acquired for a few £000 (try ebay, gumtree etc. as well as regular boat sales sites) although at the bottom end of the market the boat will be small and basic and probably in need of repair and upgrading. GRP boats are generally cheaper size for size than narrowboats, but are usually less well insulated and maybe without heating, so less suitable for winter living.