Transport woes

Lynds

Featured Posts

Dilemma any advice would be great! I'm trying to sort out getting a 50ft narrowboat from Leicester to the river medway.  I've tried looking at cruising it down but to get from limehouse basin to Gillingham I'm being quoted a kidney and an arm just for the towage trip round!  And by road it's still coming in expensive (more so the lifting!)  Any advice/options for transport? I've looked at cruising down the grand union and getting lifted out to reduce transport cost but the lift fee was £650! Are there any boatyards that will lift onto transport near the bottom of grand union? Or near limehouse that aren't charging these sort of prices? Or any option of best cost effective way to get the boat from up there to down here 🤣

The cost of the lorry will be similar wherever it is form or to because it's a whole day, so you can lift and drop back in anywhere. I have no idea about Medway yards but I would be looking for a yard with a lift much closer to Leicester, or even further north you can cruise to. I know Calcutt Boats had a lift that would do the job so why not phone them and ask for a price.

Thank you  😊  the transport itself I completely understand the quotes and considering the journey and time I think its reasonable.  Its just the lifting fees! However the debdale price of £250 is a relief and has cut the cost down a bit.

I'll check out the other suggestions regarding transport from near limehouse just incase it is cheaper but as mentioned I would also guess your paying for the day as the hgv has to come from their location to pick up and drop off and then drive back to depot.

I'm guessing no one is doing a trip to the medway by boat 😆 anytime soon 

The Thames to the Medway is very doable in many boats and a nice trip too.  Less advisable if you have any doubts about the reliability of a new boat or lack experience.

The Paddle steamer Waverley will be making the trip a couple of times in September, I believe.  It might not be too keen on you following it in order to find the way.

St Pancras Cruising Club used to provide a guide and an occasional accompanied cruise

We were going to do this trip in Bee but our plans changed. As Tacet says the St Pancras cruising Club is well worth a try for info. You need guaranteed clean fuel, good weather, and a decent boat plus someone who knows the way- there is more but that's a start.

I contacted St Pancras but they just said go by road 😔

I've got a good narrowboat with a decent power and prop beta 43 that's currently having a good overhaul and service,  I just lack the nerve to venture out on the thames solo. I don't have radio equipment and I don't understand the sea jargon so I'd need to go with another boat ideally tied alongside so I don't have a heart attack (I have a trad stern so the depths of the sea scare the bejesus out of me) 

45 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That may not be a good idea, they may well roll and snap the ropes or pull the fixing points off the boats. Particularly when you turn for the Medway.

It would just be for the worst of the thames enough for me to get over the fear 😂.  

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Calcutt also use to be very reasonable for lifting I doubt the transport cost would be any different so go for the cheapest lift.

I've tried finding calcutt and all I get is boat holidays. Where is calcutt please?

5 minutes ago, agg221 said:

It might cost you a kidney, but you could check by trying Matt Gregory if you can find somewhere he can get alongside at both ends of the trip. He has a 100t/m hiab and trailers up to 29m which will shift most things. https://www.mgtsuffolk.co.uk/

Alec

I don't mind a kidney just not the additional arm 🤣

On 07/09/2022 at 19:08, Lynds said:

I contacted St Pancras but they just said go by road 😔

I've got a good narrowboat with a decent power and prop beta 43 that's currently having a good overhaul and service,  I just lack the nerve to venture out on the thames solo. I don't have radio equipment and I don't understand the sea jargon so I'd need to go with another boat ideally tied alongside so I don't have a heart attack (I have a trad stern so the depths of the sea scare the bejesus out of me) 

Get a pilot who has narrowboat experience?

Have the fuel tank checked for crud and water, you could have a primary fuel filter fitted, an expensive one.

?

Edited by LadyG