Approach to newbies

Balloon

Featured Posts

On 19/08/2022 at 15:48, LadyG said:

I think it's mainly unintentional, people just write something which can be interpreted as being awkward, or not sympathetic.

PS you have to be on here for a few years to get the sort of following I have, three on ignore that post nearly every comment I make, even though they are aware of my opinion of them, or possibly because of it. 

I avoid FB because it seems to encourage swearing and vitriol, at least swearing is not allowed on here, though ¥*** and suchlike are allowed, aparently.

You have a short memory, you have in the past been the first to take offence at comments criticising you. Not least during your brief spell as a moderator.

11 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

You have a short memory, you have in the past been the first to take offence at comments criticising you. Not least during your brief spell as a moderator.

As this is supposedly a thread about being generous in one's approach, it seems a little unnecessary to drag up ancient history. Just saying...

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

As this is supposedly a thread about being generous in one's approach, it seems a little unnecessary to drag up ancient history. Just saying...

A see your point.

However, I find it hypocritical that those proclaiming that things aren’t so bad have been amongst the offenders.

8 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

The comments which I took offence at , and I still do were and are vindictive. Most of the worst individuals have gone but I still have three who feel obliged to attack me at every opportunity. They are on ignore so at least I don't have to be too annoyed .

I had to read them all when I moderated.

I don't report them and as far as I am aware they are allowed to continue without being moderated.

They don't contribute anything positive to the forum.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, PD1964 said:

an infrequently used expression on here, just like TL;DR” 

Out of curiosity I just looked this up. For anyone else who doesn't know (which is probably most of us) it stands for "Too long: didn't read". This forum can be very educational, though I ponder the logic of responding to a post which one hasn't read.

Just now, Athy said:

Out of curiosity I just looked this up. For anyone else who doesn't know (which is probably most of us) it stands for "Too long: didn't read". This forum can be very educational, though I ponder the logic of responding to a post which one hasn't read.

I might previously have pointed out to you that several posters in this thread have already explained what TL:DR means, so had you read the thread you would not have needed to look it up.

But as this thread is partly about being charitable and tolerant, I shall refrain from so doing :) 

Oh, hang on....

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

I might previously have pointed out to you that several posters in this thread have already explained what TL:DR means, so had you read the thread you would not have needed to look it up.

Ah well, TL:DR, you see.

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Bit late now but it would do some men good to lock horns with the doughty lasses who did all sorts of "mens" jobs in WW2. I may well have changed their thoughts about how capable women are. FWIW I was told by someone who worked there that when CAV were building injectors by selective assembly they would not employ men on the needle and nozzle line because most simply never had the deftness of touch to feel the perfect fit. (Bet they did not pay them a premium though!)

Indeed, many moons ago my mother worked for Mullards, who made electronic valves for the TV's and radio sets of the time.

They only employed women to make the valves because they were more dextrous than the men.

19 hours ago, Tony1 said:

I identify as a hermaphrodite fox, for example- but only on weekdays. 

So I need lithium batteries to be explained in my native fox, or else I've had it.

In that case I'm afraid your chance of getting an answer you can understand has been completely foxed... 😂🤣

Edited by cuthound
Foxed not fixed, bluddy autowrong

21 hours ago, Balloon said:

Reminds me of an old hand me down Ladybird book from the 70s my daughter was given, about scuba diving. It contained a page with an image of a woman diving, with the caption “even ladies can dive”

some men are very hurt by the concept that EVEN a mere woman could manage their special man tasks 

I keep being just a tad annoyed by CaRT Notices that frequently use 'men' when writing about people - in the water, on the bank or whatever. 

As it happens I have noticed that often an engineering team is led by a female professional engineer so perhaps what is meant is that only men can do the 'real' jobs! (Or at least contribute to the myth that it is so)

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

In that case I'm afraid your chance of getting an answer you can understand has been completely foxed... 😂🤣

My dear Mr Hound, have a care for my health.

I fear my ribs may have been damaged from sheer laughter 😀

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, many moons ago my mother worked for Mullards, who made electronic valves for the TV's and radio sets of the time.

They only employed women to make the valves because they were more dextrous than the men.

The cable company I worked for had an 'electronics' division that manufacured control & communication equipment for use underground. They employed many women on the assembly line but they caused no end of problems as they could only work for 3 weeks per month as their skin became "very very detrimental to electronic components and they also gave off 'body odours' that eroded electronic parts" They could not work in the clean rooms..

The men were able to work for the full month

11 hours ago, Athy said:

As I posted way back in post number ?  But given the number of posts it was probably a case of TLDR.