Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Oh yes Shirley Aqueduct

This 1903 map view shows the aqueduct

276082.jpg

A little further north the canal seems to have had a run off following a boundary that went in a straight line to a mill pool for a flour mill/

276081.jpg

Edited by Heartland

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Another  location  which some might know on a canal created through the genius of Thomas Telford

868006.jpg

Do you have any photos of the top lock when it was a lock by any chance, please?

Well done again

Norbury Junction and the flight of locks leading down to Newport

278050.jpg

The view is taken from under the bridge, and another view under a different bridge

672720.jpg

Edited by Heartland

If it is Glascote, I spent some time moored in the disused dry dock then alongside the end wall. What is in this picture, houses and a wooden fence was a factory, (I think Reliant) and I used to park our car there. On the day the wall was to be demolished I got off the boat, took the car keys out of my pocket, dropped them onto my foot and kicked them into the canal! After borrowing my wife's car keys and moving the car to a safer parking space I found the Seasearcher magnet from the engine hole and searched for the keys. Among a million or so welding rod stubs I managed to find them. Must have been late 80s but would have to find the logbook to be certain. The dry dock would have been behind the bush in the right hand corner.

Yes it is Glascote Basin, which has links with Samuel Barlow

The map for 1901 is perhaps a little sharper.

442161.jpg

The canal had a few basins here and the triangular basin was the longest. There was a tramway that linked with Glascote and Amington Collieries and sidings of the Midland Railway. The track beside the triangular basin seems to be an interchange line. Glascote Colliery was owned by the Glascote Colliery Co which belonged to the ironmaster family, Firmstone.

Much of the Midland Railway sidings were laid in the 1880's. Further south below the locks was the Kettlebrook Colliery Basin and a narrow gauge railway owned by the Dumolos used a Henry Hughes built locomotive for haulage/

The triangular basin is associated with the carrier Samuel Barlow, but he could also have used the Dumolo basin.

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

The image is Waterways Archives CRT which states to be by Navigation Bridge Coventry Canal. The main works on the offside were the Edgewick Works, which had a extensive canal frontage. So is the caption correct? 

59 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The image is Waterways Archives CRT which states to be by Navigation Bridge Coventry Canal. The main works on the offside were the Edgewick Works, which had a extensive canal frontage. So is the caption correct? 

I don't think it is correct, or at least if the location is correct, the photo doesn't date from the 1970's. I went across Navigation Bridge twice a day to and from school in the 1970's and I think I would have noticed such a high structure if it had been there ! But happy to be proved wrong.

1 hour ago, Chris Lowe said:

The huts have also been confirmed as WW2 Handcraft huts, they where made from corrugated asbestos.

You can't see any of these structures on the Britain From Above photos of the Edgewick Works.

I thought they were Nissan huts made before they went into vehicle manufacture. 😝