Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Could be this a reference to the other lock as a stop lock and this being a river navigation, but then on some canals there were stop gates at the junction locks between one navigation and another. So there are various possibilities to consider. The flow of water is found on some navigations, the water can top the lock gates on the Rochdale for example. Some canals lack a by wash such as the lower Worcester & Birmingham and that also can lead to water flowing over the gates.

56 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Unusual handrail design, so I go for Rushes Lock on the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation.

Well done Matty ! 

Its a lovely place with Beeleigh falls above and below the lock.  If you havent tried I suspect you would love paddleboarding on it in the Summer- We looked by car.  Sadly it seemed Springfield Basin  a is bit of a disappointing end. Theres developments going on right round the old Gas works. and the wharf is surrounded by rather austere flats. Parking wasnt easy except at B&M with limited time then crossing over away from the bridge which seems to be under development too. A missed opportunity I believe. 

The roads leading into the wharf are Cressy and Coates Quay, but I guess the IWA influence only can go so far. 

At least we got some cheap Christmas decorations at B&M for next year...

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Could be this a reference to the other lock as a stop lock and this being a river navigation, but then on some canals there were stop gates at the junction locks between one navigation and another. So there are various possibilities to consider. The flow of water is found on some navigations, the water can top the lock gates on the Rochdale for example. Some canals lack a by wash such as the lower Worcester & Birmingham and that also can lead to water flowing over the gates.

It is part of the flood/ but mainly tidal defences,  The gates make it clear they should be closed.There is evidence of a second pair of gates to make a lock albeit with a small drop at times. just before it is a large weir and above Rushes lock is a large weir as well. Good place to explore. 

IMG_2024-01-10-162211.thumb.jpeg.7a76d70667cc4ab954b0bdc44d5bcdea.jpeg

Lock from above 

IMG_2024-01-10-162242.jpeg

View towards the weir between Rushes lock and the single gated lock. Walkway is between these locks. 

IMG_2024-01-10-162431.thumb.jpeg.d9af0cdb6b14c626084869ab68cd6168.jpeg

And a view from the walkway up to the weir from above Rushes lock. This section of the river is tidal, so  can overtop the weir between Rushes and Beeleigh locks. good habitat of tidal and freshwater meeting. 

IMG_2024-01-10-162500.thumb.jpeg.59b06aa48ceea141ea5ed138eb7de167.jpeg

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Greenie 2

Another picture to work out. This was a river navigation. The tight bend meant narrowboats had to use the assistance of the bollard. Access to the river was by a lock, but before the lock was made there was a wharf and craft worked along this waterway to an ironworks., with transhipment being done at the wharf.

893911.jpg

Richard agrees with my "no it's not."...to a particular lock.

I still think it's one of the Canadian side locks on the Great Lakes waterways.

No, it's got Truro, Halifax, Windsor and  Glasgow(new bit) and on one side, and Inverness,Sydney on the other. 

I now know where it is.

I think if you post images from outside the UK and Ireland it requires a separate page for those who might know and /or are interested.

As to the previous image regarding a river navigation it is the Stour to Wilden. The Stour had been made navigable by the engineer, Yarranton, but suffered from flooding issues. When the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal was constructed parts of the Stour were diverted to make the canal. The wharf for transhipment appears to have  existed from an early time.

But for those interested in shipping on a BRITISH navigation where might this be. The Roman port of Glenvum was nearby this image.

844032.jpg

On 12/01/2024 at 15:22, Richard T said:

Two more locks to be identified

Cape Breton  2011 013.jpg

Cape Breton  2011 202.jpg

Firstly I'm not certain who dictated that this thread had to be exclusively related to British canals - my post is certainly not the first North American one in it.

The first photo is the St Peter's canal CapeBreton island Nova Scotia. It is only 800m long and links the Atlantic ocean and the inland sea Bras D'or. Both are tidal but the times of their tides are different hence the lock having 4 pairs of gates, which pairs are used depends on the state of the tide. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Peters_Canal

The second image is the Canso Canal, this links the Atlantic ocean with the St Lawrence seaway. It was built when the Canso causeway was built to link Cape Breton island with mainland Nova Scotia. It was built to the same dimensions as locks on the St Lawrence seaway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canso_Canal

Cape Breton island is a lovely place to visit especially in the autumn when the colours of the trees are wonderful and they have a Celtic music festival each year. It is one of the few places in the world where gaelic is spoken!!

Edited by Richard T
  • Greenie 2

I have not seen any restriction on the 'where I am' thread as to where any canal may be located. Few enough come from outside the UK that there need be another separate thread for them. They are all canals, of which we all have an interest in. They are all part of an engineering accomplishment that has enabled the transportation of materials and people via man made waterways and the canalisation of parts of natural watercourses for the betterment and interest of all.

• Greenie 4

On 12/01/2024 at 21:57, matty40s said:

Richard agrees with my "no it's not."...to a particular lock.

I still think it's one of the Canadian side locks on the Great Lakes waterways.

No, it's got Truro, Halifax, Windsor and  Glasgow(new bit) and on one side, and Inverness,Sydney on the other. 

I now know where it is.

It also has Port Hawkesbury just round the corner...

Screenshot_20240113-141931_Maps.jpg

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Very cleverly 'motorised' with a paint brush . . .

In fairness it’s not really intended to be old, that looks like the relatively modern Llantony bridge where Saracen is going into Gloucester docks. I can’t recall exactly when the bridge was built around 25 years or so ago? 

I don’t think any tall ships that attend the tall ships rally come in by sail these days, so a motorised view would seem reasonable. Not that  tall ships could get into the Docks for a few years but it appears following dredging they can this year? 

I agree it’s nice to have other countries canals on offer sometimes. 

• Greenie 1