I'm a Bickerstaffe

Ianws

Featured Posts

3 boats went past today. All very glossy looking and with that odd shaped bow. They all had signwrighting on the bow saying "I'm a Bickerstaffe". A bit like having a ghia sticker on a slightly posher Ford. Not sure why I'm feeling the need to mention this but it just seemed a bit disconcerting.

• Horror 1

As the public are now really interested in boats due to all the infamous canal bloggers maybe all boats should be sign written to identify the boat builder (or fitter outer) so that they can be boat spotted.

"Im a Springer" etc 😀

• Haha 1

Just now, dmr said:

As the public are now really interested in boats due to all the infamous canal bloggers maybe all boats should be sign written to identify the boat builder (or fitter outer) so that they can be boat spotted.

"Im a Springer" etc 😀

I did think about that on my boat, but was advised that it's not , 'traditional'

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Ianws said:

3 boats went past today. All very glossy looking and with that odd shaped bow. They all had signwrighting on the bow saying "I'm a Bickerstaffe". A bit like having a ghia sticker on a slightly posher Ford. Not sure why I'm feeling the need to mention this but it just seemed a bit disconcerting.

Some people are 'disconserted' by the most silly of things in this current world.

(I mean I would consider being trapped in 'Mariupol' disconserting' to say the least but not a boat graphic).

Its more likely it was 'It's a Bickerstaffe......' it simply signifies who built it.

Does that help?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

25 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Some people are 'disconserted' by the most silly of things in this current world.

(I mean I would consider being trapped in 'Mariupol' disconserting' to say the least but not a boat graphic).

Its more likely it was 'It's a Bickerstaffe......' it simply signifies who built it.

Does that help?

I'm not sure why you think I want your help, and I certainly don't need your apparent need to conflate my mild unease with boat signage with the atrocities happening in the Ukraine. 

I do admit you are probably right  that the signs say It's a Bickerstaffe. I was sat in the scratch having a brew at the time and didnt read it perfectly. 

10 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I'm not sure why you think I want your help, and I certainly don't need your apparent need to conflate my mild unease with boat signage with the atrocities happening in the Ukraine. 

I do admit you are probably right  that the signs say It's a Bickerstaffe. I was sat in the scratch having a brew at the time and didnt read it perfectly. 

Ok then.

Please explain why you found this 'disconserting'. Boats have had their companies and owners names painted on the cabin side ever since canal boats have been built havent they?

What was different here?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Putting "I'm a "reference word(s)" on inanimate objects results in the general degradation of humans. 

A boat is a boat. It does not have a personality and can never use the personal pronoun. "I am a carrier bag"

It needs to be stopped post haste or we will find ourselves in some sort of awful nightmarish situation driven by bad things. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Putting "I'm a "reference word(s)" on inanimate objects results in the general degradation of humans. 

A boat is a boat. It does not have a personality and can never use the personal pronoun. "I am a carrier bag"

It needs to be stopped post haste or we will find ourselves in some sort of awful nightmarish situation driven by bad things. 

Which is probably why they use 'It's' not 'I'm' 

Ok. Disconcerting might have been a bit strong. It just seemed a bit unusual that 3 boats went past, all with their own names and individual identities, but all with the same stamp at the front. Whenever I buy a car it has the brokers window transfer on the back window, partly cking the rear view. The first thing I do is remove it. It's my car,  not an advertisement.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which is probably why they use 'It's' not 'I'm' 

Actually looking again they use 'She's a Bickerstaffe' which opens up a whole new discussion about whether a boat is male or female or just 'it'.

5 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Ok. Disconcerting might have been a bit strong. It just seemed a bit unusual that 3 boats went past, all with their own names and individual identities, but all with the same stamp at the front. Whenever I buy a car it has the brokers window transfer on the back window, partly cking the rear view. The first thing I do is remove it. It's my car,  not an advertisement.

Same here. I understand they will not paint that on the boat if you specify it.

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

We are already there, I'm afraid.

PS boats have been female since Noah built the Ark, I'm not sure why.

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

PS boats have been female since Noah built the Ark, I'm not sure why.

Perhaps for the reason I used to tell pupils to help them remember that the French for "car" is feminine: "Lots of men like them and they have to spend a lot of money on them".

9 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Perhaps it’s a little marmite in the wording, but no different to having Braidbar or Elton Moss on the side really though is it?

You're missing the point I suspect. 

"I'm a Bickerstaff" is different from say, "Bickerstaff Boat" as it is fraudulently making out that the boat itself wrote the message rather than the builder.

There is a word for this assigning uf human characteristics to inanimate objects but I can't remember what it is, but I I agree with the OP, the signwritten message is irritating.

I'm thinking of putting a sign on my scruffy historic boat: "My other boat is a Hudson". 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

"I'm a Bickerstaff" is different from say, "Bickerstaff Boat" as it is fraudulently making out that the boat itself wrote the message rather than the builder.

There is a word for this assigning uf human characteristics to inanimate objects but I can't remember what it is, but I I agree with the OP, the signwritten message is irritating.

I'm thinking of putting a sign on my scruffy historic boat: "My other boat is a Hudson". 

Except it doesnt say 'I'm......'

So in fact it doesn't read as if the boat painted itself.

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Anthropomorphise?

The one's i've seen say "She's a Bickerstaffe" so i suspect you suspect wrongly ;) 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

Anthropomorphise?

The one's i've seen say "She's a Bickerstaffe" so i suspect you suspect wrongly ;) 

He does indeed.

30 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Perhaps it’s a little marmite in the wording, but no different to having Braidbar or Elton Moss on the side really though is it?

Is it going to say "She's an Elton Moss" on the next one?  The Kennys have sold the company recently ...

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Anthropomorphise?

That's the word, thanks!

So what about the boy Bickerstaffes? What do they say?

Mwbbe they don't feel such a strong need to show orf...

• Greenie 1

Just now, MtB said:

That's the word, thanks!

So what about the boy Bickerstaffes? What do they say?

Mwbbe they don't feel such a strong need to show orf...

Perhaps due to a strange quirk of genetics there are no boy ones?

swiped a pic from the website for clarification, it's also printed on the control panel..

bg-contactus.jpg

Hmmmm.

There is a chance the uninformed passer-by might assume it is the brand of the steerer's wife, I'd suggest. 

But anyway, the OP says the signs he saw said "I'm a Bickerstaffe", as though it was something special.