Canal Boat Diaries

Kendorr

Featured Posts

I well admired Fred for his abilities to hang off a chimney with a fag in his gob, talk to a camera and throw a brick into a skip below without hitting a car or anyone on the head. 

But I was also under the impression he was a bit of a wife beater. 
Can’t remember where I got that from but it’s stuck with me for years.

I’d like to be proved wrong.

19 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I well admired Fred for his abilities to hang off a chimney with a fag in his gob, talk to a camera and throw a brick into a skip below without hitting a car or anyone on the head. 

But I was also under the impression he was a bit of a wife beater. 
Can’t remember where I got that from but it’s stuck with me for years.

I’d like to be proved wrong.

It's hard to prove that you didn't do something. No-one seems to be providing any evidence that he did. He was probably the archtype male chauvinist - it was sort of expected of men of that type and so they lived up to it, at least in public. Only his wives know different.

19 hours ago, PD1964 said:

When did I say that I admire wife beating in the good old days and it was admired then??

When did I say that you said... etc..etc..

You implied it, just as I implied things in my reply. 

19 hours ago, IanD said:

I doubt that many people nowadays of any sex would ladder a chimney, climb unroped over an overhanging parapet 200 feet up, then dismantle the chimney one brick at a time while standing on the top smoking a fag like Fred did...

Because they have more sense now that the lead has been taken out of petrol?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Because they have more sense now that the lead has been taken out of petrol?

And paint! 

And as we all know, a lot of people spend a lot of their time licking paint. 

Just now, MtB said:

And paint! 

And as we all know, a lot of people spend a lot of their time licking paint. 

Well quite.  There's reasonably good evidence of a causal link between the removal of lead from petrol with increased IQs and decreased levels of psychosis.  Funny old world isn't it?

I'll give you another, crime levels have generally dropped in line with legalisation of abortion.  If you think about it, it makes sense.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

When did I say that you said... etc..etc..

You implied it, just as I implied things in my reply. 

I didn’t imply anything, your just doing your thing and implying things that may not be true about the bloke and men of that era. I just said things were different then with no implications pointing to domestic violence.

Edited by PD1964

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Well quite.  There's reasonably good evidence of a causal link between the removal of lead from petrol with increased IQs and decreased levels of psychosis.  Funny old world isn't it?

I'll give you another, crime levels have generally dropped in line with legalisation of abortion.  If you think about it, it makes sense.

Well I'm not convinced correlation means causation, but in this case there might well be a connection. 

The lead in paint thing was a genuine problem I believe, because babies and small children did actually commonly lick or chew painted items before the proliferation of plastic as a material for most of their toys etc instead of wood. 

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

I didn’t imply anything, your just doing your thing and implying things that may not be true about the bloke and men of that era. I just said things were different then with no implications pointing at domestic violence.

OK.  I didn't imply anything either.  I simply made a saracstic remark about wife beating being far more tolerated in the past.  If you decided to take it personally I suggest you toughen up a little.  The forum can be a formidable place.

...but your post was a direct response to a post about domestic violence so you'll forgive my confusion.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well I'm not convinced correlation means causation, but in this case there might well be a connection. 

You're right but the lead in petrol thing has been pretty well studied.  Anecdotally you can see it on this forum in all the daft old buggers who had the misfortune to breathe in leaded petrol fumes for a significant part of their lives.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

The lead in paint thing was a genuine problem I believe, because babies and small children did actually commonly lick or chew painted items before the proliferation of plastic as a material for most of their toys etc instead of wood. 

Of course there are concerns about certain types of plastic too.

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You're right but the lead in petrol thing has been pretty well studied.  Anecdotally you can see it on this forum in all the daft old buggers who had the misfortune to breathe in leaded petrol fumes for a significant part of their lives.

Hey that's ME!! I often wonder how much brighter I might have been had I not chewed on all my painted wooden toys as a brat and breathed in leaded petrol fumes until I was 40... 

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Of course there are concerns about certain types of plastic too.

indeed, and I was only discussing DINP with someone an hour ago! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diisononyl_phthalate

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Hey that's ME!! I often wonder how much brighter I might have been had I not chewed on all my painted wooden toys as a brat and breathed in leaded petrol fumes until I was 40... 

indeed, and I was only discussing DINP with someone an hour ago! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diisononyl_phthalate

Of course the one to really worry about is Dihydrogen Monoxide.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

There is a growing body of evidence that the reduction in lead has resulted in improved average IQ.

But there is stronger evidence of the link between reading ability and shoe size.

Just saying.

9 minutes ago, frahkn said:

There is a growing body of evidence that the reduction in lead has resulted in improved average IQ.

But there is stronger evidence of the link between reading ability and shoe size.

Just saying.

Correlation -- however high, 99.8% is almost perfect! -- does not prove causation...

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

correlation.png

Edited by IanD

33 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Big or small feet good?

Well it depends on whether reading is a "good thing".

To give a simple example; those with smaller shoe sizes (say three year old's) are, usually, poorer readers than those (say forty year old's) with larger feet.

The example above is stolen from "How to lie with statistics", I still remember it from university - which was a very long time ago.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

OK.  I didn't imply anything either.  I simply made a saracstic remark about wife beating being far more tolerated in the past.  If you decided to take it personally I suggest you toughen up a little.  The forum can be a formidable place.

...but your post was a direct response to a post about domestic violence so you'll forgive my confusion.

😂 formidable place, yes for the new “wet lettuce, tree hugging” generation of Newbie boaters, who don’t even know who Fred Dibnah is.  
 Have a good weekend and enjoy the Sun🌞

Edited by PD1964

57 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Well it depends on whether reading is a "good thing".

To give a simple example; those with smaller shoe sizes (say three year old's) are, usually, poorer readers than those (say forty year old's) with larger feet.

The example above is stolen from "How to lie with statistics", I still remember it from university - which was a very long time ago.

The difference is that lead has been proven to be a neurotoxin.  That's why it was banned.  Correlation is only that until a causal mechanism is identified.

39 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

😂 formidable place, yes for the new “wet lettuce, tree hugging” generation of Newbie boaters, who don’t even know who Fred Dibnah is.  

The only person who seems to have been triggered here, is you.  Maybe something in the water?

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Who he was, is more accurate. Another flawed human being, like the rest of us.