Diesel rationing ?.... 😳

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Slim said:

I also remember petrol rationing in  1956. If i recall correctly dad received an allowance of 2 gallons per week (9.1 litres). The car probably did less than 30 miles per gallon so 50-60 miles a week. It just about got him to and from work. No such thing as school runs in those days, we walked.

That would be enough to get us to work and back for a couple of days in the car. 

Might just about get the van off the drive :rolleyes:

Oil prices tumbled a couple of days ago because the UAE hinted that they were happy to increase production -- https://www.cityam.com/uae-hints-at-supporting-boost-in-oil-supplies-following-russias-invasion-of-ukraine/

High prices and shortages are profiteering and scaremongering (probably by those with a vested interested in profiteering!), nothing more, nothing less.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My recollection is that (at one point at least)  the 50mph limit did not apply to motorways. I remember a trip to Kent at that time, where the speed limits on the three-lane dual carriageway A2 and the two-lane dual carriageway M2 were 50 and 70mph respectively.

The national 50MPH speed limit was introduced in December 1973 and applied to all roads, including motorways. I remember it well, travelling from Birmingham to Canterbury for a conference in March of 1974. Motorways were restored to 70MPH a few days after I returned, which was a bit annoying, but the 50MPH continued  on other roads until May 1974.

36 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

The national 50MPH speed limit was introduced in December 1973 and applied to all roads, including motorways. I remember it well, travelling from Birmingham to Canterbury for a conference in March of 1974. Motorways were restored to 70MPH a few days after I returned, which was a bit annoying, but the 50MPH continued  on other roads until May 1974.

You'd have a job driving that fast on some motorways these days - is it an aspirational speed?  :)

24 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

You'd have a job driving that fast on some motorways these days - is it an aspirational speed?  :)

Silly comment. 

I drive on motorways most days and the days each year I fail to get above 50mph can usually be counted on the thumbs of one hand. 

Usually due to something exceptional like an accident and I've turned off at the next available exit. 

Even the often-criticised M25 runs mostly freely much of the time I use it, despite its reputation. 

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Silly comment. 

I drive on motorways most days and the days each year I fail to get above 50mph can usually be counted on the thumbs of one hand. 

Usually due to something exceptional like an accident and I've turned off at the next available exit. 

Even the often-criticised M25 runs mostly freely much of the time I use it, despite its reputation. 

No it wasnt a silly comment.

It was a 'joke'.

Do you remember those?

31 minutes ago, MtB said:

Silly comment. 

Well, yes, although maybe it depends where you live? The M6 near me spends 90% of it's life subject to a 50mph limit for ever-lasting roadworks. The only time it was open for full speed I missed it during Covid lockdown! That's over a 5 year period.

On 13/03/2022 at 17:03, Naughty Cal said:

We were out in Lincolnshire this weekend at Woodhall Spa.

Passed loads of petrol stations today on our way home. Most expensive was £1.95 per litre for diesel on the A1 and the cheapest was £1.63 per litre at the Sainsburys petrol station on the A57 in Worksop.

We had a quick fillup at Worksop Asda on Saturday, just before going to the Broads, amazing it was free for Asda customers! we only needed a few minutes worth so enough time to grab some bits and bobs 🙃

Edited by peterboat

I filled up the other day in Reading. The queue at Asda for diesel advertised at £1.59 fooled me as when I got to the pumps all the diesel nozzles were locked up. Was fooling me and many others, grrr. So I filled up at the fuel station just across the road at £1.73. 

Just bin looking at electric cars so I can still get around next time there is a fuel shortage. The MG Zs seems to be almost a sensible price at £22k-ish for a second hand one with 10k on the clock. Quite fancy a Tesla Model S but even the oldest cheapest most beaten up ones are still £30k! 

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

We had a quick fillup at Worksop Asda on Saturday, just before going to the Broads, amazing it was free for Asda customers! we only needed a few minutes worth so enough time to grab some bits and bobs 🙃

So who are you going with and what boat?

We've got Viscount from Richardson's from two weeks today.

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

I filled up the other day in Reading. The queue at Asda for diesel advertised at £1.59 fooled me as when I got to the pumps all the diesel nozzles were locked up. Was fooling me and many others, grrr. So I filled up at the fuel station just across the road at £1.73. 

Just bin looking at electric cars so I can still get around next time there is a fuel shortage. The MG Zs seems to be almost a sensible price at £22k-ish for a second hand one with 10k on the clock. Quite fancy a Tesla Model S but even the oldest cheapest most beaten up ones are still £30k! 

Just get a 500l oil tank at home and fill it with DERV. 

Just now, frangar said:

Just get a 500l oil tank at home and fill it with DERV. 

Good eye deer! I can buy a lot of DERV for that £20k!

I already have a 1200 litre kerosine tank full of errr, kerosine for the oil boiler. I've bin considering filling it with HVO. Life is so complicated innit....

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

So who are you going with and what boat?

We've got Viscount from Richardson's from two weeks today.

Richardson's and we have Melody 1, it's ok and in reality a busmans holiday! I love Norfolk but have never been on the broads so we thought we would give it a whirl. We are in Horning tonight which is very picturesque, if we ev6win the lottery it's a waterside home for us down here. 

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Richardson's and we have Melody 1, it's ok and in reality a busmans holiday! I love Norfolk but have never been on the broads so we thought we would give it a whirl. We are in Horning tonight which is very picturesque, if we ev6win the lottery it's a waterside home for us down here. 

Any plans to go south? There be dragons on Breydon water.

Ive been going on the Broads since I was about 10.

There are indeed some stunning waterside properties in that neck of the woods. There used to be a derelict one that no body ever knew anything about, I always fancied landing ashore, planting a flag and claiming it.

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

The MG estate car seems a good bet as it has a much longer range, of course its getting hold of one nowadays. The Model S is a big car, I looked at them but Jayne couldn't park one at work so we went for the I3, then of course her work handed the car park back! I would still have the model S as we have superchargers for them very close and a lot of them were sold with free supercharging for life.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Any plans to go south? There be dragons on Breydon water.

Ive been going on the Broads since I was about 10.

There are indeed some stunning waterside properties in that neck of the woods. There used to be a derelict one that no body ever knew anything about, I always fancied landing ashore, planting a flag and claiming it.

We were going to Yarmouth but its closed until the end of the month, not Yarmouth but the route there. We are really enjoying this experience, it's relatively quiet at the moment, it must be mental in season?

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

We were going to Yarmouth but its closed until the end of the month, not Yarmouth but the route there. We are really enjoying this experience, it's relatively quiet at the moment, it must be mental in season?

Where is it closed?

Acle?

Just now, peterboat said:

Work on a bridge I believe below the yacht station? That's all they told us

Ah right I will check before I head that way.

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The Locks pub at Gledeston is open again as a community pub if you get that far.  Whats happening at Acle?

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Locks pub at Gledeston is open again as a community pub if you get that far.  Whats happening at Acle?

Its not Acle its Yarmouth.

I can only find info. on work being carried out next month on the centre span of Breydon bridge (A47). The side spans are still open to navigation but these are the ones you use anyway. So navigation to the Southern broads would appear to be open.

12 hours ago, MtB said:

Silly comment. 

Very true my friend, but there's a perception problem - folks only take notice when they're held up so it's blown out of proportion (the M25, which we seem to have to use any time we go anywhere being the prime example lol)

It's a bit like when you have to deal with the general public, one arsehole will outweigh 99 reasonable people and ruin your day.

A bit sad really but hey ho.

Edited by Ange

Obvs as a wealthy southerner I should never have had to deal with the general public. Unfortunately instead of lolling around with my wealthy friends (lol - they were all grafting at summer jobs) when I was 15 (1980) I spent my summer holidays working 14 hour days with a 15 minute lunch break for 50p an hour serving ice creams and selling rock at the seaside kiosk near me. At the time it was illegal for them to employ me so I couldn't complain (16 being the minimum age) but I saw my first ever £20 pound note - I'd got Christmas tips worth £13 a couple of years before when I was a paper girl which I thought was the pinnacle of wealth but I'd never seen this before, so we were both happy.

Edited by Ange