12v versus 230v fridge

Jwelec

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Why not? Please expound.

Because the name of is says "campervan".

Or are you asserting it will work, and that the fridge has no way of knowing if it has been fraudulently installed in a boat?! 

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Because the name of is says "campervan".

Or are you asserting it will work, and that the fridge has no way of knowing if it has been fraudulently installed in a boat?! 

It says Mars on chocolate bars but they don't come from there.

Been on the nose candy Mike?

26 minutes ago, MtB said:

But will a 12V "campervan" fridge actually work in a boat?

Yes.

That is the same type of fridge our last hire boat had.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nah, you've met one of the best marine electricians in the country.

He helped me bowhaul your broken boat up a few locks.

I just mentioned your previous track record with boat sparkies and he decided that pulling on a rope was enough for him ...

It was very good of him to get me out of that spot of bother, and I'm all ready to get going this a.m. let's hope for no more mishaps!

But you can't blame me for thinking the two ' electricians' were rip off merchants.

One removed the inverter charger, so I no longer have everything working. Charged £350 per day as I recall

The one who was supposed to fit the car radio managed to mess up the electrics in the area he worked on. As he could not get it to work he explained it was designed for me to stick downloaded music in it. I never use it, another few hundred wasted. So both the so called electricians made the situation worse than when the arrived. 

Well

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, MtB said:

You're kidding me.....

Lots of bad things happen in Cadburyworld, the coffee creams simply disappeared in about 1973, and its difficult to find Fry's peppermint cream. Five boys was another favourite taken of the shelf :(

PS these campervan fridges might be ok, but do they have salad trays, another loss to the world of refrigeration imho.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't tell it where it is, they don't have eyes 😀

Yeahbutnobutyeahbut don't fridges have Facebook nowadays, so all its mates will spill on where they think it is?

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

PS these campervan fridges might be ok, but do they have salad trays, another loss to the world of refrigeration imho.

Mine does, but frankly the whole thing is too small, it's 50L. I bought an 80L version for my last boat but really - still too small.

Edited by Slow and Steady

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

"Salad"..... 

Nope sorry, you've got me there.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Lots of bad things happen in Cadburyworld, the coffee creams simply disappeared in about 1973, and its difficult to find Fry's peppermint cream.

Hold up there. Cadbury and Fry were deadly competitors and enemies back in the day. Are you saying Cadbury gobbled up fry's? 

As our fridges don't last long (2 Shorelines in 10 years) I have bought one of these (smaller version) to act as back up. Now its a chinese compressor (but then Danfoss are made in China now) and Vevor don't get good reviews for customer service but it arrived earlier than expected and more or less does what it says on the tin , the thermostat is not that accurate (but nor is Shoreline) and though you can use it as either a fridge or a freezer it struggles to get down to minus 18, the insulation is a bit thin but could probably be added to externally.

Overall though good value as long as it lasts a few years. I will report back hopefully more than 5 years from now.

https://www.vevor.co.uk/car-refrigerator-c_10723/portable-car-fridge-freezer-cooler-1-94cu-ft-50l-mini-refrigerator-12v-220v-p_010396450836

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

As our fridges don't last long (2 Shorelines in 10 years) I have bought one of these (smaller version) to act as back up. Now its a chinese compressor (but then Danfoss are made in China now) and Vevor don't get good reviews for customer service but it arrived earlier than expected and more or less does what it says on the tin , the thermostat is not that accurate (but nor is Shoreline) and though you can use it as either a fridge or a freezer it struggles to get down to minus 18, the insulation is a bit thin but could probably be added to externally.

Overall though good value as long as it lasts a few years. I will report back hopefully more than 5 years from now.

https://www.vevor.co.uk/car-refrigerator-c_10723/portable-car-fridge-freezer-cooler-1-94cu-ft-50l-mini-refrigerator-12v-220v-p_010396450836

Curious. The headline on the advert says its 220V but the body of the advert says its 12V.  Then in the Q & A bit, the manu tells an enquirer they can use a 220V solar panel to power it!

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Curious. The headline on the advert says its 220V but the body of the advert says its 12V.  Then in the Q & A bit, the manu tells an enquirer they can use a 220V solar panel to power it!

Also says this: Our car fridge 12v is equipped with 120/240V AC and 12/24V DC adapters, which can be used at home or in the car. So presumably a wallwart for mains operation.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

mine (20L) came with a 12 v cigar plug and a 230v adapter I assume they all do, just noticed actually these are listed in the advert.

Package Content
  •  
    1 x Car Refrigerator
  •  
    1 x DC power cord
  •  
    1 x Adapter for AC power
  •  
    1 x User Manua
Edited by Phoenix_V
extra info

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these smallish camper type fridges seem to be designed to be taken down to temp at home, then kept cool in a vehicle with a cigar lighter. 

I've kept my ancient 12v fridge, the one which heats the boat in summer, I use it as a larder, just pop the refrigeration on a few hours per day.

If I have it on 24/7, it makes lots of frozen water, so needs defrosted frequently, 

Essentially it needs to have forced ventilation. Drawing cooler air from bilges would improve matters, but I'm no t convinced a fridge on a boat can be as good as a domestic fridge in a house.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Essentially it needs to have forced ventilation. Drawing cooler air from bilges would improve matters, but I'm no t convinced a fridge on a boat can be as good as a domestic fridge in a house.

Why?

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Why?

Probably because the boat fitter CBAd to read and abide by the fridge instructions and boxed it in far too tightly with insufficient natural ventilation. I would say that the temperature in a narrow boat cabin in high summer may well be tens of degrees hotter than  a normal house so that won't help the fridge but with a decent fridge and installation that should just result in longer run times rather than a higher internal temperature. That is where cooler bilge air over the fridge radiator may help reduce run time. However, if it is boxed in tight even forced bilge air may not be able to escape from the fridge enclosure so better to somehow get adequate high and low level ventilation into the fridge enclosure.

My 12v chest freezer I recently wired up works a treat, well pleased with.

Its so quiet, I didn’t believe it had switched on.

Supposed to freeze down to -18C but easily went down to -20C in places.

Haven't ran it yet while back in the water, am yet to find out how my batteries will cope over time.

Only tested when I had my batteries continually charging on the mains.

Im sure it’ll be ok with regular use of engine and a bit of solar. 
Still in process of boxing in it in, with lots of breathing room and a bit of extra insulation.

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Probably because the boat fitter CBAd to read and abide by the fridge instructions and boxed it in far too tightly with insufficient natural ventilation. I would say that the temperature in a narrow boat cabin in high summer may well be tens of degrees hotter than  a normal house so that won't help the fridge but with a decent fridge and installation that should just result in longer run times rather than a higher internal temperature. That is where cooler bilge air over the fridge radiator may help reduce run time. However, if it is boxed in tight even forced bilge air may not be able to escape from the fridge enclosure so better to somehow get adequate high and low level ventilation into the fridge enclosure.

Spot on Tony, like everything else installing things on a boat is fraught with difficulties.

I pretty much gave up with my fridge because it is far too much hassle, and so far it's not been possible to find a kitchen fitter to re vamp the galley. they are not really interested.

In the full heat of summer the internal boat temperature has the fridge running  almost constantly, very disruptive at night, and goodness knows what happens to the batteries.

I'd be quite happy to have a smaller fridge as that is the only solution without staring from scratch.