TV aerial

Maudesmaster

Featured Posts

Hi pissed off with having to erect TV aerial every night trying to locate mast for best signal getting nagged at by bread knife because she missed her favourite program Then every morning having to take it down and stow it 

I am looking at this ballade super gain and am asking if it’s any good 

It looks ok and I can mount it on a pole in deep valleys but would be nice if I could just mount it on the roof and forget it being 70 and a danger to myself as we in doors keep telling it would be ideal 

thank you in advance Rich 

C82A8472-B4C5-4D06-8685-80D5E777B8F0.png

We have one of these on Legacy. It is mounted on a telescopic mast but it is not always needed to extend the aerial pole.

Only have to retune if you move from one reception area to another but for our TV that is done before the kettle has boiled.

MOONRAKER DTV-1000 T.V AERIAL

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

Bitter experience has shown me that most / all of these fancy looking antennae only really work well in strong signal areas (and IIRC others have posted comments here and on other forums).

What I have found that works are 'log periodic2 units. These are folat and thus can be easily stored. However, you do need a pole on which to mount it and some form of deck fixing (I use my anchor mounting - No climbing on roof).

• Greenie 1

This is one of the reasons I changed to use streaming services, no fiddling with aerials it satellite dishes.  Generally the internet connection is fine and if not watch on catch up another night.  Using one of the hdmi sticks, I use a Now TV stick as I already pay for Now TV, and smarty internet unlimited when I am on the boat.  If you want to give it a try get a free SIM and free month using my referral code https://i.smarty.co.uk/ptE8nf.

• Greenie 1

I'd argue in favour of streaming as well, or sometimes, er, Bit torrent to avoid the bundled advertising.

An advantage of Smarty if you sign up in the next month or so is that the 50GB package is 200GB for the same price. You can watch a lot of telly on that much bandwidth.

And get a month free with my link if you don't use Rob's:

https://i.smarty.co.uk/CbXkgOx

• Greenie 1

I don't understand the problem with a log periodic TV aerial. Admittedly I had a cruiser stern with a gas box. I used a cup and a Munsen ring to hold an extendable pole (modified painters pole) plus an app on the laptop that showed me where the likely transmitters are on an OS map. Even in sheeting rain it only took less than 5 minutes to get it up and align. The only place I failed to get at least some TV channels was way up the Caldon. The pole fitted clipped under the gunnel while the aerial  hung from a bit of broom handle screwed to the hull lining by the back steps.

I tried various clever antennae some powered by 12 or 5v up the cable and a free sat setup but bought a cheaper log periodic something like this

https://cpc.farnell.com/triax/108185/aerial-mini-log-20-ele-tx20l-lte/dp/AP03068

Not sure the one I have was as expensive as that but similar. It just works... and isn't very big or bulky. most times I don't bother taking it down and her indoors can usually carry on watching whatever banal daytime TV is on as we cruise. Its only on a short 12" pole clamped to the roof.

I would add that decent cable and connectors are really important 

Edited by jonathanA
Add

12 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I tried various clever antennae some powered by 12 or 5v up the cable and a free sat setup but bought a cheaper log periodic something like this

https://cpc.farnell.com/triax/108185/aerial-mini-log-20-ele-tx20l-lte/dp/AP03068

Not sure the one I have was as expensive as that but similar. It just works... and isn't very big or bulky. most times I don't bother taking it down and her indoors can usually carry on watching whatever banal daytime TV is on as we cruise. Its only on a short 12" pole clamped to the roof.

I would add that decent cable and connectors are really important 

They're all much of a muchness -

Farnet have a minimum order fir free delivery - but as you need an amplifier as well you might qualify. If you move around a lot, then a signal strength meter / indicator is useful - better that twiddling the areial around until you get a picture. Farnel again have good prices.

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Read the advice, then buy a log periodic from Toolstation.

• Greenie 4

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

They're all much of a muchness -

Farnet have a minimum order fir free delivery - but as you need an amplifier as well you might qualify. If you move around a lot, then a signal strength meter / indicator is useful - better that twiddling the areial around until you get a picture. Farnel again have good prices.

They are but , I don't use an amplifier, that was the whole point of buying a log periodic - so I didn't need another box and another power supply.

I do have various signal strength meters but don't bother with them anymore. my tip is to look at the aerials on any nearby buildings and point mine the same way...

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

I do have various signal strength meters but don't bother with them anymore. my tip is to look at the aerials on any nearby buildings and point mine the same way...

If you have an android phone a very simple way of finding where to point the antenna is to use Freepoint 2 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roepy.freepoint2

It's a good app and we'll worth the miniscule fee. It will give you directions based on GPS location or  postcode. 

I've been using it since the original Freepoint version.

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Read the advice, then buy a log periodic from Toolstation.

To be fair to him I got our boat log periodic from him a few years ago and it arrived looking like a banana. Rang him and he dispatched a replacement one no argument without waiting for me to return the old one.

I wouldnt spend a bean with him now though. Knowing what I now know about the guy.

There are plenty of places to get them from including screwfix and ebay. We have a local place that sells em too.

Although I probably paid more that I could I was very happy with the caravan log periodic aerial that looks like fish bones. The elements are pieces of radiused flat aluminum and the "joining up its" were inside  a plastic casing. far more distic casing. far more dfficul to catch your clothing on than the wire bar jobs when stored inside the bpatfficul to catch your clothing on than the wire bar jobs when stored inside the boat

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Although I probably paid more that I could I was very happy with the caravan log periodic aerial that looks like fish bones. The elements are pieces of radiused flat aluminum and the "joining up its" were inside  a plastic casing. far more distic casing. far more dfficul to catch your clothing on than the wire bar jobs when stored inside the bpatfficul to catch your clothing on than the wire bar jobs when stored inside the boat

Do you mean one like the "Status 550" (completely inside plastic casing, adjustable from inside boat, includes amplifier/signal/polarisation finder -- but costs £170!!!) or "Image 420" (£35, reflectors stick outside central plastic case)?

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/log-periodic-aerials

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-Short-Mast-Directional-Antenna/dp/B007VLTMGE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Directional-Antenna-Caravans-Motorhomes-White/dp/B002XS9X0A

Both have lower gain than the recommended (repairable) short log-periodic, but are also a bit smaller and maybe easier to mount.

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ours doesnt have external components but it is basically a compact log periodic enclosed in a plastic case.

It works brilliantly but in a caravan its permanently fixed and you extend it and rotate it from inside our wardrobe.

We rarely if ever struggle to get a picture.

This one .

I found it far better than the two amplified omnidirectional one I trued, a flying saucer and a squirrel cage. I used the amp that came with the squirrel cage for this aerial until I wanted a two output one.

A09-6200-001_4.jpeg

Edited by Tony Brooks

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

This one .

I found it far better than the two amplified omnidirectional one I trued, a flying saucer and a squirrel cage. I used the amp that came with the squirrel cage for this aerial until I wanted a two output one.

A09-6200-001_4.jpeg

Ours is similar but fully enclosed and has the advantage it pulls in DAB radio too.

I'm sure the LPs nsurrouded in fabcy plastic work as well as the inexpensive varieties -

Digital TV Aerial Kit 20 Element HD Freeview outdoor loft antenna 4G with cable (this is the title of one offered on ebay for under a tenner.

You pays yer money...

An amplifier may well not be needed by everybody - howver I've no idea where everybody is AND the amount of power that they draw is miniscule - less than 100 milliamps IIRC.

Another must / highly reccommended  is to use satellite type connectors and cable  (NOT the TV type). Easily available by post and both stand the rigours of boating.

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

This one .

A09-6200-001_4.jpeg

The only problem with that -- going by the photo -- is that it can only pick up horizontally polarised signals, which is what all the main TV transmitters use. Repeater transmitters which are used to fill in reception gaps -- especially in rural areas -- use vertical polarisation, which means rotating the aerial so the "fins" are vertical. If this can't be done, you won't get good reception where repeaters are used.

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials#TV-aerial-polarisation-horizontal-and-vertical

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

The only problem with that -- going by the photo -- is that it can only pick up horizontally polarised signals, which is what all the main TV transmitters use. Repeater transmitters which are used to fill in reception gaps -- especially in rural areas -- use vertical polarisation, which means rotating the aerial so the "fins" are vertical. If this can't be done, you won't get good reception where repeaters are used.

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials#TV-aerial-polarisation-horizontal-and-vertical

You can turn them through 90 degrees, and im also pretty sure Tony knows about aerial polorisation.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You can turn them through 90 degrees, and im also pretty sure Tony knows about aerial polorisation.

I'm sure he does, but the one he posted the picture of doesn't look like it can be rotated, the clamp looks fixed... 😞

Mind you, even with the wrong polarisation it's still probably better than an omnidirectional flying saucer/squirrel cage aerials since it's got about 10dB more gain when correctly oriented... 🙂

Edited by IanD

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It isnt.

In which case, that's fine 🙂

-- unless it's a cheap knock-off copy (lots of these around) of the Image 420 which can't rotate, which is what it looks like... 😞