Pagans Afloat

Stourbridgeguy

Featured Posts

Snibs is officially the second person to ever use the phrase.

They are issuing an amended edition of the Oxford dictionary, as we type.

Naw! all the terms Steve has used I have heard before, even the "original" ones. I don't like ryming slang anyway, I think it is lacking in the wit of truly good slang.

May I suggest that anyone talking seriously about this idiot affectation is taking the french out of themselves?
That is impossible snib, a logical contradiction.

Where people are responding seriously to the original query, as some have, then by that definition they are not trying to make fun of themselves because they then could not also be talking seriously.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

That is impossible snib, a logical contradiction.

Where people are responding seriously to the original query, as some have, then by that definition they are not trying to make fun of themselves because they then could not also be talking seriously.

regards

Steve

No, sorry, anyone who can with a straight face espouse this nonsense is holding themselves up to ridicule. Same thing I would say.

No, sorry, anyone who can with a straight face espouse this nonsense is holding themselves up to ridicule. Same thing I would say.
They may be holding themselves up to ridicule for their beliefs, but that's quite different from making fun of themselves. It's quite possible to be entirely serious about something which many others find laughable. I'd say that's actually quite a common situation. I know it's hard for the rest of us to understand how some people can take what appear to us to be the most ludicrous ideas seriously, but they do. Happens all the time. You can find people who hold the most mad ideas in all earnest.

And that is the success of the gay pagan's joke. He's persuaded some people to come up with serious (to them) responses to his ostensibly serious but in reality farcical query. A bit like an April Fool joke or some candid camera prank show.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

As far as i am aware, there isn't any Pagan "Deities", as such - ofcourse there are the gods of different pantheons that could be associated with "Paganism" - in recent years Paganism has made a resurgence which takes on aspects of older traditions.

As some -one mentioned in this thread the Term Pagan comes from the latin meaning Country folk (essentially).

Over the last 50 years there has been a massive Pagan revival, there are many aspects to what people classify as being "Paganism". It seems to be more of an umbrella term that encompasses a whole host of different beliefs and ideologies.

Personally, I am more interested in the folk traditions and the folk law of this country (and other countries) , than the concept of embracing a "belief system" - but each to their own, and i don't begrudge anyone wishing to embrace a "faith"

May I tentatively suggest that you mean "folk lore"?

N

Whatever you do, do be careful of the dancing around naked now that winter is here.

Frostbite in certain areas can be very painful and awkward to get immediate treatment for unless you have some very good friends.

Although the initial swelling may be useful

On that subject also be careful of the opposite effect. I don't think it is possible for invertion to occur but you never know

:rolleyes:

edited for typos

Edited by tidal

May I tentatively suggest that you mean "folk lore"?

N

yes that's what i meant, i got it wrong. - typing too fast to think... folk lore, rather than folk law... although, folk law's could be an interesting topic.

They may be holding themselves up to ridicule for their beliefs, but that's quite different from making fun of themselves. It's quite possible to be entirely serious about something which many others find laughable. I'd say that's actually quite a common situation. I know it's hard for the rest of us to understand how some people can take what appear to us to be the most ludicrous ideas seriously, but they do. Happens all the time. You can find people who hold the most mad ideas in all earnest.

And that is the success of the gay pagan's joke. He's persuaded some people to come up with serious (to them) responses to his ostensibly serious but in reality farcical query. A bit like an April Fool joke or some candid camera prank show.

regards

Steve

You just don't get it do you? The only person I've seen taking this seriously is you. The rest of us are just having fun - with each other, if not with the original poster. It really is immaterial whether his(?) query was genuine or not, everyone has just taken it and run with it and done their own thing.

But I suppose we are all overlooking the possibility (more of a probability now I come to think of it) that Anhar's po-faced contributions are in fact the biggest wind up of all - ah well, got me at it!

You just don't get it do you? The only person I've seen taking this seriously is you. The rest of us are just having fun - with each other, if not with the original poster. It really is immaterial whether his(?) query was genuine or not, everyone has just taken it and run with it and done their own thing.

But I suppose we are all overlooking the possibility (more of a probability now I come to think of it) that Anhar's po-faced contributions are in fact the biggest wind up of all - ah well, got me at it!

You are ignoring the genuine pagans who may be attempting a sensible discussion, amidst the merry making. This should be respected, whilst still taking the mickey, of course.

Speaking as a devout Satanist with a keen interest in human sacrifice and the drinking of virgins blood (warm), I salute Stourbridgegays stance. Each to their own I say and and if any members of the KKK or the occasional member of a hard-core neo-nazi troop pops in to say hello, I for one will welcome him with open arms and a resounding chorus of Deuchland, Deuchland........

I think then, perhaps, that you would be far better with a halter rather than an altar. I keep one about me because Zita , while were booking some hotel or other , once asked "Do you fancy the bridal sweet" - and I couldn`t find one anywhere.

Sorry - it`s an old Princess Anne/Mark Phillips/honeymoon joke!

I believe in what I believe , and I try to live by it - but no extreme views are allowed onto my boat - not even my own if we`ve got company. Must say though , I`m surprised a pagan actually needs a permanent altar - equally I don`t know why a real Christian needs a church. Each to his/her own though as far as I`m concerned which , of course, has to include the occasional good wind-up hereabouts!

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Who cares whether the OP was being serious or not. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have my Butsudan here coz I practise at home - we're a lay society, we don't have temples or priests so we meet in each others homes. Bit cramped to meet in my home though. Obviously.

Doesn't your faith frown on the wearing of jaunty pirate's hats?

For gawd's sake can't you all see that this reader (stourbridgeguy) is having you all on? Answering his points as if they were serious just makes it all the more amusing for him because he sees you making fools of yourself by taking the bait.

Gay pagan my arse.

He'll be telling you next that as well as that, he's a black, lesbian, one legged midget.

And out will come those naive readers offering help and advice.

Watch your crutch at locks, no we're not racists, no you are not alone because many of us ladies on boats have a little pussy on board and so on.

Steve

Have you issues with one legged black miget laser-beams fella? I think we need to be told...

OK lets get one thing straight, the question was of a serious nature, yes I made a mistake in the spelling of altar I was not taking the french out of anyone, if that is how it came across all I can say is build a wall. Yes I am a gay pagan and attend the Rainbow Moot in Birmingham. The path I follow is the Seax Wiccan, all I asked was of the pagans on the site as to get their veiws. If my question has justified 4 pages of responses well done people, it has got you thinking and responding.

Brightest Blessings

Dave

Needless to say I am overtly Pagan and open describe myself as a wych. I have absolutely no ihnterest in trying to suggest that my views are better or worse than anyone elses. After all if there is only one god / true faith system then by definition most people are following the wrong one simply by virtue of there being so many faith systems I don't think any one of them holds much (if any) of an overall majority and everyone else is (in the eyes of the others at least) following the wrong god / system.

Each to their own but I don't have, and have never felt the need for an altar to follow my system. There are special places for me - always outdoors much akin to the special places other systems have - church, temple, etc. and special times too but facing a particular direction and wearing particular clothes seems to detract from the simplicity of my way of doing things.

As far as I am concerned it is a matter of following a way of life rather than facing any particular direction and as THE basic rule of Paganism is 'and if it harm none' then each and all to their own and go with my blessing.

OK lets get one thing straight, the question was of a serious nature, yes I made a mistake in the spelling of altar I was not taking the french out of anyone, if that is how it came across all I can say is build a wall. Yes I am a gay pagan and attend the Rainbow Moot in Birmingham. The path I follow is the Seax Wiccan, all I asked was of the pagans on the site as to get their veiws. If my question has justified 4 pages of responses well done people, it has got you thinking and responding.

Brightest Blessings

Dave

You certainly stirred interest, Dave, but questions very often don't maintain their serious nature, round here. There have been some sensible offerings from the more 'spiritual' minded folk, mixed in with the humour (mostly friendly) of those of us who don't practise the god stuff.

You are very welcome here regardless of your political, sexual or religious leanings but expect some mickey taking, regardless of your political, sexual or religious leanings.

Welcome to the madhouse forum :rolleyes: (sorry do pagans drink alcohol, or just the blood of freshly sacrificed goats)

Edited for spurling

Edited by carlt

Welcome to the madhouse forum :rolleyes: (sorry do pagans drink alcohol, or just the blood of freshly sacrificed goats)

Edited for spurling

Damned hard to find a decent goat to sacrifice these days what with the trouble locating EEC approved goats with horns the right shape and all :rolleyes: so the alcohol is definately on my menu.

The graphic on Wych Way is the logo from Wychwood brewery who kindly gave us permission (and even sent us the artwork).

The graphic on Wych Way is the logo from Wychwood brewery who kindly gave us permission (and even sent us the artwork).

Mmmm the Dog's Bollocks, a fine tipple. Funny how the god botherers make some of the finest falling down juice. Maybe that's the secret of maintaining faith, though I've been practising for years I've never 'seen the light', though I've had some interesting 'room spinning' experiences.

Damned hard to find a decent goat to sacrifice these days what with the trouble locating EEC approved goats with horns the right shape and all :rolleyes: so the alcohol is definately on my menu.

Never mind the goats, have you tried finding a virgin nowadays ? :rolleyes: