Generators

Longmeadow

Featured Posts

Third night running I have returned home at just after 5 to hear the genny(directly opposite our side hatch) of the boat which arrived monday running loudly.

Last 2 nights has been until just short of 9pm when silenced, if it wasnt a long walk round I would have been round already to ask them to move a bit further, theres loads of towpath space locally, all piled. It's the constant ongoing drone of it, occasionally changing tone for a bit that is the worst thing.

Or I could just listen to a very loud concert one evening.....🤭

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I think the fact he had already spent weeks there (and many more after) probably influenced who he annoyed more 😀

How do people away with overstaying for so long on a 48 hour mooring? 

I spoke to a chap not long ago who said he was being permitted to stay put on a CRT mooring until further notice, because his wife was undergoing lengthy treatment at a local hospital for a potentially lethal disease.  

Whilst its good to know CRT can act in a kindly manner for those in need, I must say that I was very promptly warned about overstaying (in what CRT called the 'general area' of Whitchurch) last summer, whilst I was trying to get my lease car repaired and ready to be handed back. I moved every 10 days at most, but clearly I didn't move far enough (or else I came back to the same spot too soon).

Whatever the specifics, CRT emailed me with a 'reminder to move' type message in very short order.  So in some cases they are all over it, and in others seemingly not at all.

There's a guy at this basin who said he's been here about 3 months and hasnt even had an email from CRT yet, so my best assessment at the moment is that after 31st Oct, CRT seem to back right off from enforcing the movement rules, and you can stay where you want for as long as you want- or at least until the temporary winter relaxtion ends. 

I've no intention of proving this theory, partly because I want to stay off of their enforcement radar, and partly because I've got zero interest in staying in a single location for more than a month, however nice it might be. 

Maybe I've been lucky- so far this Winter has been fairly mild, and not the morale-sapping and freezing endurance test that CCers sometimes describe it as.

In fact, I've actually really enjoyed the quietness of the waterways. 

Best not tell everyone though, or the canals will get mad busy during the winter 😄

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

How do people away with overstaying for so long on a 48 hour mooring? 

I spoke to a chap not long ago who said he was being permitted to stay put on a CRT mooring until further notice, because his wife was undergoing lengthy treatment at a local hospital for a potentially lethal disease.  

Whilst its good to know CRT can act in a kindly manner for those in need, I must say that I was very promptly warned about overstaying (in what CRT called the 'general area' of Whitchurch) last summer, whilst I was trying to get my lease car repaired and ready to be handed back. I moved every 10 days at most, but clearly I didn't move far enough (or else I came back to the same spot too soon).

Whatever the specifics, CRT emailed me with a 'reminder to move' type message in very short order.  So in some cases they are all over it, and in others seemingly not at all.

There's a guy at this basin who said he's been here about 3 months and hasnt even had an email from CRT yet, so my best assessment at the moment is that after 31st Oct, CRT seem to back right off from enforcing the movement rules, and you can stay where you want for as long as you want- or at least until the temporary winter relaxtion ends. 

I've no intention of proving this theory, partly because I want to stay off of their enforcement radar, and partly because I've got zero interest in staying in a single location for more than a month, however nice it might be. 

Maybe I've been lucky- so far this Winter has been fairly mild, and not the morale-sapping and freezing endurance test that CCers sometimes describe it as.

In fact, I've actually really enjoyed the quietness of the waterways. 

Best not tell everyone though, or the canals will get mad busy during the winter 😄

I thought the OP said it was AE waters, not CRT 

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I thought the OP said it was AE waters, not CRT 

He did say that, but one would imagine both bodies are seeking to discourage overstaying- in fact EA more than CRT, as they have many fewer moorings available per mile of waterway. 

I'm interested in how/why they can afford to overlook serious overstaying.

46 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Third night running I have returned home at just after 5 to hear the genny(directly opposite our side hatch) of the boat which arrived monday running loudly.

Last 2 nights has been until just short of 9pm when silenced, if it wasnt a long walk round I would have been round already to ask them to move a bit further, theres loads of towpath space locally, all piled. It's the constant ongoing drone of it, occasionally changing tone for a bit that is the worst thing.

I think you need to go for a short night cruise involving lots of slow speed high revving moves to get  on/ off your mooring ...

7 hours ago, Longmeadow said:

It was eventually turned off at 01.30..  We have moved! Looking forward to a good night sleep tonight....  Last time I moor within a mile of that boat.

Did you actually speak to the person on the boat or do you think moaning on here will resolve your problem?

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I recommend Motorhead videos from you tube, even shuts up local weddings here.😀

51 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

He did say that, but one would imagine both bodies are seeking to discourage overstaying- in fact EA more than CRT, as they have many fewer moorings available per mile of waterway. 

I'm interested in how/why they can afford to overlook serious overstaying.

Where did it say he was overstaying?

12 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I recommend Motorhead videos from you tube, even shuts up local weddings here.😀

Totally off topic, but one Sunday in the early 1980s the burglar alarm went off on the local Spar. Nobody around and no contact number so after listening to it for half an hour, Dad put Sandy Nelson's 'Let There Be Drums' on the record player at full volume. We couldn't hear the burglar alarm any more!

Alec

p.s. nothing to do with my family but after about 2hrs of it going continuously, the burglar alarm mysteriously disappeared off the wall of the Spar, courtesy of someone with a stepladder and a crowbar and was heard running on batteries disappearing off down the street. When the police enquired, none of the local residents had seen anything...

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Where did it say he was overstaying?

My reply asking how these people can get away with overstaying was in reply to PaulJ's comment about the loud genny owner who was also overstaying.

I was not replying specifically to the OP.

Is that enough clarification, or does the prosecution have any further tiresome questions?

FFS, this is a discussion thread, not a cross examination.

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, agg221 said:

Totally off topic, but one Sunday in the early 1980s the burglar alarm went off on the local Spar. Nobody around and no contact number so after listening to it for half an hour, Dad put Sandy Nelson's 'Let There Be Drums' on the record player at full volume. We couldn't hear the burglar alarm any more!

Alec

p.s. nothing to do with my family but after about 2hrs of it going continuously, the burglar alarm mysteriously disappeared off the wall of the Spar, courtesy of someone with a stepladder and a crowbar and was heard running on batteries disappearing off down the street. When the police enquired, none of the local residents had seen anything...

I've heard that rather than crowbarring them off the wall, filling them with aerosol foam is easier and takes the edge right off the volume... 

11 hours ago, sueb said:

Has anyone tried the local council? We had a noisy neighbour (land base) and the local council has a department dealing with nuisance. I see no reason why they can't act on water based neighbours. You can also report to police.

The Council has a statutory duty to investigate noise nuisance complaints but discretion over whether to act.  The trouble is, that the legislation is written for noise coming from a specific source.  If the Council served an abatement notice to a boat, and the boat moved down the towpath a bit, the notice would no longer be valid.  Council's know this and so they are understandably reluctant to act as it's a waste of their resources. 

You might get more help from the police if they're willing to knock on the boat, but that's very much a postcode lottery.  Going down the ASBO route is another possibility but that's also a postcode lottery.  In some areas it's the police who deal with it, in other's it's the Council.

As I said earlier, I've had good success from contacting CRT who presumably phone the offender and have a word.

The relevant bit:

image.png.448f3f7015c2adabca61ae84f8012b9f.png

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The Council has a statutory duty to investigate noise nuisance complaints but discretion over whether to act.  The trouble is, that the legislation is written for noise coming from a specific source.  If the Council served an abatement notice to a boat, and the boat moved down the towpath a bit, the notice would no longer be valid.  Council's know this and so they are understandably reluctant to act as it's a waste of their resources. 

You might get more help from the police if they're willing to knock on the boat, but that's very much a postcode lottery.  Going down the ASBO route is another possibility but that's also a postcode lottery.  In some areas it's the police who deal with it, in other's it's the Council.

As I said earlier, I've had good success from contacting CRT who presumably phone the offender and have a word.

The relevant bit:

image.png.448f3f7015c2adabca61ae84f8012b9f.png

I suppose that their 'get-out' for not acting would be that the legislation only covers :

..... vehicle, machinery or equipment IN A STREET ........

and, the complaint has to be made "by a person living within its area" would nomadic boaters fall within that categorisation ?

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose that their 'get-out' for not acting would be that the legislation only covers :

..... vehicle, machinery or equipment IN A STREET ........

and, the complaint has to be made "by a person living within its area" would nomadic boaters fall within that categorisation ?

I don't think living in the area is a big hurdle, so long as the nomadic boater was living there at the time of the complaint, but the noisy boat is not a fixed premises, nor is it on a street.