Getting antenna cables from the roof through to the interior cabin

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have one of the popular Poynting antennas to help boost my internet signal from my mobile router. It works great!

What doesn't work great is that I currently have no entry point for the two cables coming down from the roof and into the main cabin, to be connected to the router.

There is currently a TV aerial that is fed down beside the exterior bow doors, and in through a small hole drilled in the steel cabin. I want to do the same thing for the antenna, as they are both attached to the same pole and it makes sense for both cables to follow the same path.

However, the ends are quite thick, approx 12mm at their widest, and there's two of them. The cable itself is 0.5mm x 2.

I was thinking of drilling 1 x ~15mm hole through the cabin and feeding each cable through one at a time, but likely I'd need to strip the SMA plug ends off first to get both cables through then reattach.

Has anyone stripped the ends off a cable similar to this and reattached it? I am concerned that if I pull it off, I won't be able to get it back on and have it function as well as it does now. I've changed plug fittings on lamps and things before, but I feel like that's more forgiving. Don't want to screw it up and have to spend another £80 getting a replacement!

IMG_2306.jpg.6abbeb9e4574983e8d16af53e2aa8034.jpg

CBA to fit a gland as I need to be able to move it to the caravan. Mine comes in through a mushroom vent with a drip loop,  cable tied to the vent and  then across the ceiling and then cable tied along the curtain rail dropping down to the router on a shelf  at the end of the curtains.

Edited by Loddon

My cables come through a horizontal hole in the wooden cratch, and a further horizontal hole in the steel bulkhead at the front of the saloon. For the Poynting I drilled holes big enough to get the cables with terminals through, one at a time. They ended up being a bit bigger than the two wires going through them, but it hasnt been an issue. In several years, (5+?), no ingress of water through the hole in the cratch, and no chance of any water getting near the hole in the bulkhead.

54 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

My cables come through a horizontal hole in the wooden cratch, and a further horizontal hole in the steel bulkhead at the front of the saloon. For the Poynting I drilled holes big enough to get the cables with terminals through, one at a time. They ended up being a bit bigger than the two wires going through them, but it hasnt been an issue. In several years, (5+?), no ingress of water through the hole in the cratch, and no chance of any water getting near the hole in the bulkhead.

This is the exact situation that the boat currently has for the TV aerial so I figured I'd just do the same for the new poynting cables right next to it.

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

CBA to fit a gland as I need to be able to move it to the caravan. Mine comes in through a mushroom vent with a drip loop,  cable tied to the vent and  then across the ceiling and then cable tied along the curtain rail dropping down to the router on a shelf  at the end of the curtains.

That sounds like how we use to wire up the production lines when I worked for Birds Eye. We used miles of galvanised wire supporting SWA across the factory roofs beams and dropping down to the equipment