Jump to content

Classic boats


Featured Posts

There lived a certain man in Russia long ago
He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow
Most people looked at him with terror and with fear
But to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear
He could preach the Bible like a preacher
Full of ecstasy and fire
But he also was the kind of teacher
Women would desire
 
Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on
 
He ruled the Russian land and never mind the Czar
But the kazachok he danced really wunderbar
In all affairs of state he was the man to please
But he was real great when he had a girl to squeeze
For the queen he was no wheeler dealer
Though she'd heard the things he'd done
She believed he was a holy healer
Who would heal her son
 
Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on
 
But when his drinking and lusting
And his hunger for power
Became known to more and more people
The demands to do something
About this outrageous man
Became louder and louder
 
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey
 
"This man's just got to go", declared his enemies
But the ladies begged, "Don't you try to do it, please"
No doubt this Rasputin had lots of hidden charms
Though he was a brute, they just fell into his arms
Then one night some men of higher standing
Set a trap, they're not to blame
"Come to visit us", they kept demanding
And he really came
 
Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
They put some poison into his wine
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
He drank it all and said, "I feel fine"
 
Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
And so they shot him 'til he was dead
 
Oh, those Russians
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

 

It was asking if CRT would exempt classic boats from bsc and a licence in the same way the Dvla do for mots and ved for classic cars.

Isn't there already a reduced licence fee for boats over a certain age?

 

I fail to see the relevance of the lyrics of a Boney M. song, but all credit to Alan for having the patience to type them out, even the "hey"s.

Edited by Athy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

 

 

I fail to see the relevance of the lyrics of a Boney M. song, but all credit to Alan for having the patience to type them out, even the "hey"s.

 

 

The posters forum name ......................

 

(it was a cut and paste, I couldn't type more than a couple of lines withoiy  errurs)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Athy said:

Isn't there already a reduced licence fee for boats over a certain age?

 

I fail to see the relevance of the lyrics of a Boney M. song, but all credit to Alan for having the patience to type them out, even the "hey"s.

It's a very weird form of bullying

Edited by Athy
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

The posters forum name ......................

 

 

Ah yes, of course.

Someone else's post interposed, so I didn't get that at first.

Very (daddy) cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be nice to see some encouragement to keep some of the early recreational narrow boats, i.e., Rugby, Harbourer, etc. in original condition.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BWM said:

It would be nice to see some encouragement to keep some of the early recreational narrow boats, i.e., Rugby, Harbourer, etc. in original condition.

Cut and Past from C&RT site

 

Historic boats on Canal & River Trust waterways claiming the 10% discount should contact Customer Services Centre who will calculate the value of your discount on your Gold Licence for you – it is a complicated formula as the 10% can only be applied to the Canal & River Trust element of your Gold Licence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BWM said:

It would be nice to see some encouragement to keep some of the early recreational narrow boats, i.e., Rugby, Harbourer, etc. in original condition.

 

6 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

I wish there was!

 

Keith

The CRT form at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/732-application-form-historic-boat-discount.pdf

says "The basic structure of the boat should be more than fifty years old. Some later modifications may be acceptable but substantially altered boats will not be eligible for the discount. There are many publications which illustrate or describe most of the older boats still existent. Applicants should provide documentary or photographic evidence of the boat’s age and history. The materials and methods of construction are often indicative of the period of manufacture, e.g. virtually all riveted iron/steel construction occurred before 1948. 1. Age of Boat Boats should have been used primarily on UK inland navigation or UK coastal and estuarial waters. Boats built for the waterways of other countries are not usually eligible. 2. Relevance to the Heritage of the UK Inland Waterways There are old boats and there are historic old boats. A boat built more than fifty years ago is likely to be of historic value if its structure is either original, or an accurate reproduction in the same material as the original, using the same methods as the original. It should not have had substantial modifications to: • The hull • The cabin – exterior or interior • The engine • Any functional original equipment Modifications made early in the life of the boat are less significant than changes made in recent years. If the boat has been modified or converted, it should continue to ‘look the part’. For example, a traditional 1930’s narrowboat with a 3 m cabin extension, an under-canvas extension and perhaps an engine of 1950’s vintage, may be acceptable. A similar boat with a full length steel cabin would not. 3. Structural Condition The appearance should reflect the history of the boat. The paintwork should be traditional and the boat should be presented in a good state of repair. One or more recent photos showing the full length of the boat should be included with this application. Availability of well documented historical information about the boat will contribute to a positive decision."

 

On this basis an early Harborough boat in near-original condition would be eligible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

 

On this basis an early Harborough boat in near-original condition would be eligible.

But my 1936 ex-working boat, with full length steel cabin is not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, John Brightley said:

 

The CRT form at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/732-application-form-historic-boat-discount.pdf

says "The basic structure of the boat should be more than fifty years old. Some later modifications may be acceptable but substantially altered boats will not be eligible for the discount. There are many publications which illustrate or describe most of the older boats still existent. Applicants should provide documentary or photographic evidence of the boat’s age and history. The materials and methods of construction are often indicative of the period of manufacture, e.g. virtually all riveted iron/steel construction occurred before 1948. 1. Age of Boat Boats should have been used primarily on UK inland navigation or UK coastal and estuarial waters. Boats built for the waterways of other countries are not usually eligible. 2. Relevance to the Heritage of the UK Inland Waterways There are old boats and there are historic old boats. A boat built more than fifty years ago is likely to be of historic value if its structure is either original, or an accurate reproduction in the same material as the original, using the same methods as the original. It should not have had substantial modifications to: • The hull • The cabin – exterior or interior • The engine • Any functional original equipment Modifications made early in the life of the boat are less significant than changes made in recent years. If the boat has been modified or converted, it should continue to ‘look the part’. For example, a traditional 1930’s narrowboat with a 3 m cabin extension, an under-canvas extension and perhaps an engine of 1950’s vintage, may be acceptable. A similar boat with a full length steel cabin would not. 3. Structural Condition The appearance should reflect the history of the boat. The paintwork should be traditional and the boat should be presented in a good state of repair. One or more recent photos showing the full length of the boat should be included with this application. Availability of well documented historical information about the boat will contribute to a positive decision."

 

On this basis an early Harborough boat in near-original condition would be eligible.

That's good to know, i wonder how many owners of these boats are aware of this - there are two boats locally and i will definitely inform them in case they don't. 

20 hours ago, David Mack said:

But my 1936 ex-working boat, with full length steel cabin is not.

The full length cabin is outside of their specified alterations, and the other narrow boats being discussed were built with such a cabin in place - i have secured the discount for Hawkesbury as it retains the original timber back cabin, riveted engine room and the 5 metres behind the cratch assembly have been returned to its original state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/06/2021 at 18:20, John Brightley said:

 

The CRT form at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/732-application-form-historic-boat-discount.pdf

says "The basic structure of the boat should be more than fifty years old. Some later modifications may be acceptable but substantially altered boats will not be eligible for the discount. There are many publications which illustrate or describe most of the older boats still existent. Applicants should provide documentary or photographic evidence of the boat’s age and history. The materials and methods of construction are often indicative of the period of manufacture, e.g. virtually all riveted iron/steel construction occurred before 1948. 1. Age of Boat Boats should have been used primarily on UK inland navigation or UK coastal and estuarial waters. Boats built for the waterways of other countries are not usually eligible. 2. Relevance to the Heritage of the UK Inland Waterways There are old boats and there are historic old boats. A boat built more than fifty years ago is likely to be of historic value if its structure is either original, or an accurate reproduction in the same material as the original, using the same methods as the original. It should not have had substantial modifications to: • The hull • The cabin – exterior or interior • The engine • Any functional original equipment Modifications made early in the life of the boat are less significant than changes made in recent years. If the boat has been modified or converted, it should continue to ‘look the part’. For example, a traditional 1930’s narrowboat with a 3 m cabin extension, an under-canvas extension and perhaps an engine of 1950’s vintage, may be acceptable. A similar boat with a full length steel cabin would not. 3. Structural Condition The appearance should reflect the history of the boat. The paintwork should be traditional and the boat should be presented in a good state of repair. One or more recent photos showing the full length of the boat should be included with this application. Availability of well documented historical information about the boat will contribute to a positive decision."

 

On this basis an early Harborough boat in near-original condition would be eligible.

Yes but that isn't quite as simple as Athy put it.

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.