Featured Posts

Well here we are at Market Harborough 3 weeks into our first retirement cruise. Heading for the Fens and Great Ouse, then Birmingham and the Shroppie via Fradley to Langollen. If you see us passing please remove the tomatoes from the tin before throwing alternatively give us a wave.

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1
12 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Well here we are at Market Harborough 3 weeks into our first retirement cruise. Heading for the Fens and Great Ouse, then Birmingham and the Shroppie via Fradley to Langollen. If you see us passing please remove the tomatoes from the tin before throwing alternatively give us a wave.

Glad you are enjoying your retirement cruise.

If you come back via the HNC it will probably spoil your enjoyment and have you heading for your retirement armchair.😖

• Haha 1

Would appreciate it if you would  let me know how you find the locks into  Liecester as you go through. Did that run two years ago and I found it a slog (single handed and 73 at the time). Mind you it was  one  of the hottest days of the year. Would  like to do it again in a couple of months.

Many thanks 

Edited by Slim
9 minutes ago, Slim said:

Would appreciate it if you would  let me know how you find the locks into  Liecester as you go through. Did that run two years ago and I found it a slog (single handed and 73 at the time). Mind you it was  one  of the hottest days of the year. Would  like to do it again in a couple of months.

Many thanks 

At our age,all locks are a slog!

Going into Leicester on the Soar the locks were fine much easier that the heavy paddles in Yorkshire. Along the Leicester Grand Union we found many self-openers which were a bit of a pain until we got the hang of how to manage them with the paddles.

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Going into Leicester on the Soar the locks were fine much easier that the heavy paddles in Yorkshire. Along the Leicester Grand Union we found many self-openers which were a bit of a pain until we got the hang of how to manage them with the paddles.

Thanks for coming back. Swimming gates I can normally deal with. As I recall the gates either swam (a pain) or were so heavy they were a pain in the back and I'm no lightweight.

• 2 weeks later...

At Gayton Junction. The original plan was to go to London but with covid still around we will be turning left tomorrow and heading for @Athy country and onto the Great Ouse for awhile.

Don't forget that Bedford is a hot spot for the Delta Covid Variant.

We will be curtailing our Gt Ouse trip at St Neots and doing more on the lower reaches if the situation hasn't improved by the time we get there.

Looks like we might actually see some moving boats on the Nene this year😎

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Don't forget that Bedford is a hot spot for the Delta Covid Variant.

We will be curtailing our Gt Ouse trip at St Neots and doing more on the lower reaches if the situation hasn't improved by the time we get there.

Looks like we might actually see some moving boats on the Nene this year😎

Oh thanks good info will do same.

I was thinking of leaving the boat at St Neots or Huntingdon for a few days home leave. Any recommendations for marinas / moorings?

10 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I was thinking of leaving the boat at St Neots or Huntingdon for a few days home leave. Any recommendations for marinas / moorings?

Not really not been up that way before, there are plenty of marinas but some are expensive best call around. 

We are splitting our trip into 3 out to Gt Ouse leaving it at Little Ouse moorings , 2 weeks wandering then back to Little Ouse then a week later home to the Nene. Have to do it that way as we cant leave the garden that long, just means 1000 miles of driving  home and back twice ;)

53 minutes ago, Midnight said:

You could try Buckden Marina or I think River Mills at Eaton Socon still have an empty space at the moment.