Jump to content

Next steps after survey.


Featured Posts

Hi All,

 

So I have put in an offer on a boat subject to survey. The survey is being conducted next week along with the blacking if I choose to go ahead with the sale.

 

What is next in regards to insurence and a CRT license?

 

I've been so wrapped up on searching for boats and marinas I've entirely neglected how to go about obtaining these two crucial aspects of boating.

 

Any advice as always is appreciated.

 

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the insurance as soon as you buy the boat. There was a boat called "Harry" that got burnt out while being sold, so make sure you are covered, you will need that for a C&RT licence anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some insurance companies are demanding a hull survey before they will sell you a comprehensive insurance policy and CRT will want a BSS certificate before they will issue a first licence.

 

My insurance company  demanded a full  survey and valuation before they would renew - despite the difficulties in getting work done during co-vid and wouldn't even sell me third party cover. Been with them for 15 years. SO they can Foxtrot Oscar - I'm selling now anyway after that hassle has turned us off.

 

  • Sad 1
  • Horror 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

 

You buy insurance and a CRT licence.

He's got the basics and may not be a spelling expert, not much help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Get the insurance as soon as you buy the boat. There was a boat called "Harry" that got burnt out while being sold, so make sure you are covered, you will need that for a C&RT licence anyway.

I would have thought most insurers would offer short term cover for a new customer on the basis that you are having a survey shortly. They will want confirmation that any safety related issues raised by the survey will be dealt with in short order, but once you have sent them the survey report they can convert your initial policy to a full year.

You will also need a Boat Safety Certificate if it doesn't already have one. If needed, ask the surveyor if he is also able to do this.

You need insurance and BSC to apply for a CRT licence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This happens every time a boat changes hands, so there's a well worn path.

You'll know if the boat has a current BSS certificate, or you should delay transfer until it has (imho).

You need insurance from the moment of transfer to cover yourself -  a quick call to, say, Craftinsure, or a visit to the their website to get a quote  that can be activated in seconds (other insurers are available and most probably do the same).

Now you have a BSS certificate and insurance, so you can licence it from the start of the month in which you bought the boat over the phone or via CRT's website. They aren't going to crush a boat you've just bought if that all takes a day or two.

Sounds easy, doesn't it - but only 'cos it really is! :)

 

I hope you and your new boat are very happy together. :hug:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, David Mack said:

I would have thought most insurers would offer short term cover for a new customer on the basis that you are having a survey shortly. They will want confirmation that any safety related issues raised by the survey will be dealt with in short order, but once you have sent them the survey report they can convert your initial policy to a full year.

You will also need a Boat Safety Certificate if it doesn't already have one. If needed, ask the surveyor if he is also able to do this.

You need insurance and BSC to apply for a CRT licence.

If the boat isn't old the insurers probably wont want a survey report

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If the boat isn't old the insurers probably wont want a survey report

30 years I think with craftinsure others may offer 40

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.