Thetford Toilet, decisions...

Featured Posts

I'm fed up with the toilet we've got, the plastic appears to have lost it's smooth surface, and it's now giving me nightmares!

The model we've got is C200, Thetford doesn't appear to sell this model anymore, though parts are available (I don't want to go down the replacing parts route). Thetford's new model is £550, plus a couple extra cassettes (£133 each) makes it a rather expensive job.

There are new C200 models for sale on Ebay for £365. We've got relatively new cassettes so I don't think we need to pay for any extras.

We looking for a yard to change the loo over, except our normal go to yard is busy at the mo - it's not an urgent job, the next couple or three months would be fine. 

Wondering if anyone has suggestions of a yard, or a mobile company that would be willing to do the work? We'd rather pay for a good job, rather than take the cheapest option. 

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts? Thanks for any help ?

BTW we're on the Coventry canal.

13 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I think that this is a bit thick, its made for undersealing cars.

The stuff I thought of is for refinishing the outside of plastic car parts, not underneath. Its a bit different from the usual car touch up cans 'cos its made for plastic parts not steel.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think that this is a bit thick, its made for undersealing cars.

The stuff I thought of is for refinishing the outside of plastic car parts, not underneath. Its a bit different from the usual car touch up cans 'cos its made for plastic parts not steel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rust-Oleum-400ml-Direct-Plastic-Spray/dp/B001W03PPO

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Perfect - thank you!

Ordering now!

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Have you tried cleaning it with the stuff made for cleaning uPVC window frames?

Not really, think my scrubbing with different chemicals has taken the surface off. Where the sun has been shining on it has also discoloured the plastic.  Think your suggestion of spraying might do the trick - thanks.

I remember when pumpout toilets started appearing on hire boats. They used to recirculate the tank liquid to flush the bowl, rather than the fresh water flush common today. The bowl was a dark blue colour so that the elsan-coloured flush liquid was less obvious, and it didn't matter if it stained the plastic.

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I remember when pumpout toilets started appearing on hire boats. They used to recirculate the tank liquid to flush the bowl, rather than the fresh water flush common today. The bowl was a dark blue colour so that the elsan-coloured flush liquid was less obvious, and it didn't matter if it stained the plastic.

Remember one of them on a hire boat, I think they were made just down the road from me at Oulton Broad

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Remember one of them on a hire boat, I think they were made just down the road from me at Oulton Broad

Whoever did make them should have been locked in a small room with one for a week, they were disgusting. If its a Broads invention that explains it, they are used to the stink of faeces on those stinking water..

55 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Perfect - thank you!

Ordering now!

Not really, think my scrubbing with different chemicals has taken the surface off. Where the sun has been shining on it has also discoloured the plastic.  Think your suggestion of spraying might do the trick - thanks.

I have taken to cleaning mine with undiluted blue laundry liquid on a cloth. Effective. 

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have taken to cleaning mine with undiluted blue laundry liquid on a cloth. Effective. 

Afraid I've taken the shiny surface off it by scrubbing with all sorts, making it not so easy to clean ?

Bit like a white washing up bowl, once the 'shine' has gone it's difficult to keep white. 

Good tip though, thank you!

37 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Afraid I've taken the shiny surface off it by scrubbing with all sorts, making it not so easy to clean ?

Bit like a white washing up bowl, once the 'shine' has gone it's difficult to keep white. 

Good tip though, thank you!

I've been using beeswax furniture polish on mine, it seems to help make it easier to clean and stop it getting quite so grubby

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Whoever did make them should have been locked in a small room with one for a week, they were disgusting. If its a Broads invention that explains it, they are used to the stink of faeces on those stinking water..

The technology is still in use for Portaloos. Time for a pump out when the flush water changed from blue to brown ...

I remember that marinas used to have be two pumpout prices: one for a re-circulating loo and one (about double the price) for a holding tank. One boat we hired had a re-circulating loo which could be emptied into a holding tank using a manual whale pump. Very hi-tech for the time :D