Selling a boat without a BSS

leafofgrass

Featured Posts

Hi all, I am about to sell my boat. I am not living on board anymore, and my BSC expired a few months ago. I started going through the motions of renewing it, however, it just occurred to me that it might be possible that I sell the boat without the certificate. Does anybody know whether this is possible? I cannot seem to find a definitive answer online. 

And if I am to sell my boat without the certificate, therefore shifting the responsibility of issuing a new one onto the next owner, would that significantly impact the value of my boat (beyond the ~£150 which I am bound to pay to the BSC surveyor). I am interested in learning whether anybody has personal experience with this. Thanks all!

There is no reason why a boat must have a current BSC, but it would be the 'norm' to sell it WITH a BSSC as the new buyer could not licence it until the new BSSC was issued.

I would be hesitant to buy a boat (on waters that needed a BSSC) that did not have a BSSC and would wonder why it has not been renewed, had it failed ?  and not been repaired ? etc etc.

Whenever I have bought a boat without a BSSC I have made it a condition of purchase that it is supplied with a full BSSC

24 minutes ago, leafofgrass said:

Hi all, I am about to sell my boat. I am not living on board anymore, and my BSC expired a few months ago. I started going through the motions of renewing it, however, it just occurred to me that it might be possible that I sell the boat without the certificate. Does anybody know whether this is possible? I cannot seem to find a definitive answer online. 

And if I am to sell my boat without the certificate, therefore shifting the responsibility of issuing a new one onto the next owner, would that significantly impact the value of my boat (beyond the ~£150 which I am bound to pay to the BSC surveyor). I am interested in learning whether anybody has personal experience with this. Thanks all!

The short answer is Yes!

For the sake of £150 and a bit of effort, why would you not get a BSC? Do you think it will fail badly?

If your boat doesn't have a BSC a buyer will be responsible for any costs involved in achieving the pass and, if I know buyers of anything, they will assume the worst and multiply the possibilities out of all proportion. 

I should think it's rather like selling a car with no MOT. Most folk would suspect something seriously amiss that was so expensive you couldn't justify sorting it yourself, and only take the risk from you at a rock bottom price. 

I paid £180 for a BSS renewal in May 2020!

I did buy my first boat without  a BSS but it was a sea boat never used on inland waterways.

My present boat was for sale with  a  BSS certificate but it was not compliant due to faults that had developed and due to one matter that should not have received a pass  .   However having the certificate with a year remaining  at least allowed the boat to be licensed immediately. I did deduct the cost of some of the repairs required.

BSS despite its faults is  a minimum standard. I think its best to get it done if you want a good price. 

On the other hand a pallet with a outboard on it would sell at the moment ... if asking the right price.

1 hour ago, leafofgrass said:

and my BSC expired a few months ago.

If your boat is still on CRT or EA waters, then by not having a current BSC you are in breach of your licence conditions. Better I think to put things right now, and then you have the benefit of selling a boat with 4 years of BSC.

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If your boat is still on CRT or EA waters, then by not having a current BSC you are in breach of your licence conditions. Better I think to put things right now, and then you have the benefit of selling a boat with 4 years of BSC.

Yep, and possibly uninsured depending on the policy wording.

A newbie innocent buyer might not know about BSC. If they do know they might wonder why you didnt bother getting it done and that might undermine confidence in a whole load of other things. You may have had a reason why it was difficult with all the covid stuff going on but if you are in a position to get it done now why not just do it. It is only £150ish. It is good for another 4 years rather than being overdue and you are legal until you sell. If I was buying I would probably avoid a boat where the owner hadn't renewed and expected me to.