Plumbing in stove

volmaakt

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, volmaakt said:

Hello. Any recommendations for what to use for sealing the fittings (compression) going into the back of my boiler stove? PTFE? Stove silicone? Thanks

Should need nothing, just the olives, finger tight and then half a turn will be fine. Do not overtighten, its totally unnecessary and just damages the olive and leads to leaks. 

Wot  matty said, or liquid PTFE. 

PTFE tape struggles on larger threads, especially if you follow the instructions and only use 3 turns.  If you must use tape on a larger fitting go for the thicker gas stuff in a yellow reel and use plenty- at least 6 turns.

N

17 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Should need nothing, just the olives, finger tight and then half a turn will be fine. Do not overtighten, its totally unnecessary and just damages the olive and leads to leaks. 

On my Morso the boiler stubs were a BSP so some form of sealant was required. Can't remember what I used. On the matter of connections has anyone used any form of flexible pipe between the stove and the pipework?. When I fitted the stove (years ago) I managed to work within the limited space. These days my chances of getting in there are zero.

Edited by Slim

27 minutes ago, Slim said:

On my Morso the boiler stubs were a BSP so some form of sealant was required. Can't remember what I used. On the matter of connections has anyone used any form of flexible pipe between the stove and the pipework?. When I fitted the stove (years ago) I managed to work within the limited space. These days my chances of getting in there are zero.

The connectors used for copper cylinders are 1" BSP , just need a washer to seal to the stubs

45 minutes ago, Slim said:

On my Morso the boiler stubs were a BSP so some form of sealant was required.

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The connectors used for copper cylinders are 1" BSP , just need a washer to seal to the stubs

Depends whether the stubs have taper or parallel threads. Sealant or ptfe tape for taper threads, fibre washer for parallel threads

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Depends whether the stubs have taper or parallel threads. Sealant or ptfe tape for taper threads, fibre washer for parallel threads

They are parallel threads, cylinder connections have loose nuts that are also parallel and a face seal on the union, no ptfe tape needed, just a washer

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

That's what I use.

See the source image

Example. Hold the fitting with the thread on it in your left hand and wind the tape on clockwise,''looking at the threaded end of the fitting'' keeping tension on it as you wind, like using self amalgamating tape. Zooming of course its a normal righthand thread.

24 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Example. Hold the fitting with the thread on it in your left hand and wind the tape on clockwise,''looking at the threaded end of the fitting'' keeping tension on it as you wind, like using self amalgamating tape. Zooming of course its a normal righthand thread.

depending of course on which hemisphere you are in. 

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

The Morso back boiler threaded stub connections are 1" BSP parallel thread. Uses a flanged back nut on the outside to fit, so a fibre washer under is a good idea. The presence of the back boiler should keep temperatures reasonable for the fibre washer. Mine hasn't got any, just metal to metal. From there I used 1" BSP to 28mm compression angles to connect to the gravity circulation pipework.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

From there I used 1" BSP to 28mm compression angles to connect to the gravity circulation pipework.

But to seal, you should have had a fibre washer between the end of the boiler stub pipe and the seating face inside the brass angle fitting.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

But to seal, you should have had a fibre washer between the end of the boiler stub pipe and the seating face inside the brass angle fitting.

Yes it should. I sealed it with ptfe tape and no leaks in the last thirteen years, but this isn't the proper way of doing it.