Macclesfield Canal closed at Bosley 26 September

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Just got this:

Due to water levels on the summit of the Macclesfield Canal and the upper Peak Forest Canal. Marple and Bosley Lock flights will be closed for 48hours, From 3pm today (Saturday 26 September) so the water levels can be recharged. an update will be provided on Monday.  

We're currently stuck at Gurnett (Sutton) aqueduct as we had intended to go down Bosley locks today, so we went for a walk to Sutton reservoir instead. I can see why the locks are closed with Toddbrook out & the alternative reservoirs being this low.

Edited by Mike55
Correcting spellchecker

We are moored by Bosley lock 1 and can't understand why they haven't closed the valve that's just before the lock which is continually letting out canal water. The guage is showing 5 red lines. It's almost as if Bosley is being kept shallow deliberately.  And yes, we too have seen how low the reservoirs are but why make it worse by wasting the water there is?

Edited by wandering snail

7 hours ago, wandering snail said:

We are moored by Bosley lock 1 and can't understand why they haven't closed the valve that's just before the lock which is continually letting out canal water. The guage is showing 5 red lines. It's almost as if Bosley is being kept shallow deliberately.  And yes, we too have seen how low the reservoirs are but why make it worse by wasting the water there is?

Presumably that's the supply to the long pound between Bosley and Hall Green stop lock? I don't think there's another supply, and leakage, evaporation and usage through the stop lock will all require some replacement.

MP.

I couldn't help noticing when we went through on Thursday that when the locks are full and paddles down water seems to drain out sideways through the stone work on at least a couple of the locks. Could be a stoppage for the future.

On 26/09/2020 at 11:07, Arthur Marshall said:

Just got this:

Due to water levels on the summit of the Macclesfield Canal and the upper Peak Forest Canal. Marple and Bosley Lock flights will be closed for 48hours, From 3pm today (Saturday 26 September) so the water levels can be recharged. an update will be provided on Monday.  

Did you get through Arthur? We saw your wife steering The Maggot down near Heritage on Friday.

Stuff a couple of cows in the gaps in the stonework?

3 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I couldn't help noticing when we went through on Thursday that when the locks are full and paddles down water seems to drain out sideways through the stone work on at least a couple of the locks. Could be a stoppage for the future.

You could not make it up, at least no one would believe it.

The Bosley flight has been a sieve for as long as I can remember. There have been closures, repairs, upgrades, on going for the last 30 years to my knowledge but the flight has never been closed so often for so long as the last 3 years. Even BW kept it open.

All open today

On 28/09/2020 at 17:40, Cheshire cat said:

Did you get through Arthur? We saw your wife steering The Maggot down near Heritage on Friday.

Yes, we went down to what is, in honour of her Scottishness, referred to as the Big Hoose by the winding hole for the night before going home.

On 28/09/2020 at 17:40, Cheshire cat said:

The very near future as it happens - the flight closed at Lock 11 yesterday and it doesn't sound good: -

Please be advised navigation is currently closed at Lock 11, on the Macclesfield canal to be able to carry out an emergency repair. A hole has appeared in the lock side preventing the lock from being operational. Our local team have been informed and are on their way to site.  

To ensure the safety of our customers, padlocks have been placed on Lock 1 and Lock 12 to prevent access on to The Bosley flight. 

An update will be provided tomorrow once the local team along with our engineers have been to site and assessed a plan for repair. 

So the CRT have worked out a method of repair and start the repair on Saturday with an update on progress on next Monday.

As a result my son, who arrived at the top lock on Monday just as it was locked decided this afternoon to reverse 1.5 miles to turn round and head down Marple locks into Manchester. We have just been to give him a lift with the reversing and have a meal with him. We will be allowed back on the boat next Thursday!

10 hours ago, John Wareing said:

So the CRT have worked out a method of repair and start the repair on Saturday with an update on progress on next Monday.

As a result my son, who arrived at the top lock on Monday just as it was locked decided this afternoon to reverse 1.5 miles to turn round and head down Marple locks into Manchester. We have just been to give him a lift with the reversing and have a meal with him. We will be allowed back on the boat next Thursday!

Isn't it possible to turn at the top of Bosley where the feeder comes in behind the facilities block?

MP.

Tried that years ago, the feeder arm is silted solid, I could not even get to the pump out. Its a very tight turn anyway.

I did report it of course, they never did anything about it.

Just like the washing machine in the service point that never worked because it is not compatible with the water boiler. 

53 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Yes it is shallow. Easy with my 35ft boat unless it's windy, which it often is there.

I’ve had my boat in there a few times

only 48’, but never tried turning

last summer I saw quite a few boats getting in there to use the pump out. 

My son was told by someone that they had seen a 57' turning there but that it had been very difficult and only just done. We're 58' so no chance. There was another boat that was going up there, maybe 45' and it came back having turned shortly after.

A few weeks ago I reversed into the little arm. It was a bit shallow but we got in there pretty well for water and toilet.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Tried that years ago, the feeder arm is silted solid, I could not even get to the pump out. Its a very tight turn anyway.

I did report it of course, they never did anything about it.

Just like the washing machine in the service point that never worked because it is not compatible with the water boiler. 

not a problem a couple of weeks ago in or 50ft boat and had room to bring in a 45ft boat ahead as well.

I successfully turned our 57' 3" boat in the entrance to the feeder/facilities just over a week ago, whilst the water shortage stoppage was on. Not helped by a boat sitting on half of the water point opposite. As one of the blokes watching observed: good job it wasn't a yard longer. I think you could turn a 58' boat there however. Easier than a 1.5 mile reverse!

1 hour ago, Mike55 said:

I successfully turned our 57' 3" boat in the entrance to the feeder/facilities just over a week ago, whilst the water shortage stoppage was on. Not helped by a boat sitting on half of the water point opposite. As one of the blokes watching observed: good job it wasn't a yard longer. I think you could turn a 58' boat there however. Easier than a 1.5 mile reverse!

C&RT in their wisdom have a water point in the middle of the lock landing there. The boat that was "on half of the water point' was in fact there to go through the lock but caught up in the stoppage as several of us were. At least I don't remember you being one of the 5 who managed to clout us even though we weren't on the lock mooring.

Edited by wandering snail

If I remember rightly, the only visitor mooring at the top of Bosley is one space between the water point and the permanent moorings. So after you've knackered yourself doing twelve slightly weird locks, there is nowhere to moor up for a cuppa for miles. And if there's a queue to go down, there's nowhere to wait. With a stoppage like this, it must be chaos, especially with a stack of inexperienced hirers probably caught up in it. Most other flights of any size have at least a few moorings at the top.