Mooring rope hooks for bollards

Mr Punch

Featured Posts

Look up "Quant."

I have not seen one commercially available.

If you are near one of the "heritage village" places their blacksmith should be able to make you a suitable  end (or there is a smith at Stoke Bruerne) and a suitable pole is available, periodically, from Rose Narrowboats.  You will need to collect if you want anything much longer than 2.4 m

N

Edited by BEngo

If all you need it for is passing up a rope, then it might be easier to source a telescopic pole such as window cleaners use - long and light. You could bung a small squeegee on the end, and bend it into a 'U' shape.

1 hour ago, sans allumette said:

@Mr Punch Here, try this. Extendable lightweight aluminium pole. Two versions. One that extends 2.1 metres, the other to 3.13 metres. Link HERE

Usual disclaimer.

We have one of those. Bought from Midland Chandler's. My wife, being short, loves it.

A trick I learnt a few years ago was to take a light line with a clip or small karabiner and drop it from the lockside to swmbo at the helm where she could attach the centre line and I could pass it round the bollard and return to her. Saves a lot of faffing and 5m of 4 or 5mm line is easily carried in a pocket 

Edited by jonathanA

On 13/08/2020 at 09:47, Mr Punch said:

Looking for a pitch fork shaped hook on a pole to pass a rope up from a boat in a deep lock to a bollard above. Seen on the Thames and useful for a person with limited throwing power.

You can do this with a standard boathook, or use an extending aluminium/plastic one if the weight is awkward

On 13/08/2020 at 11:27, sans allumette said:

@Mr Punch Here, try this. Extendable lightweight aluminium pole. Two versions. One that extends 2.1 metres, the other to 3.13 metres. Link HERE

Usual disclaimer.

I have one of those.  I was delighted to learn (after letting it slip out of my hand while going through a lock) that it floats!