Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Hello there,

I'm looking at getting a Aintree Boats narrowboat built. I want a cruiser stern and would like to know from someone who owns (or knows someone who owns) a Aintree boats cruiser or semi trad stern narrowboat and whether the drainage for the engine bay works properly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you cannot get a reply here, how about going to look at a used one on sale somewhere and lifting the deck boards to see what state the engine bilge is in?

TD'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you cannot get a reply here, how about going to look at a used one on sale somewhere and lifting the deck boards to see what state the engine bilge is in?

TD'

That might be a good idea if this doesn't work out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have Facebook there is an Aintree boat owners group, you could ask on there.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JamesFrance said:

If you have Facebook there is an Aintree boat owners group, you could ask on there.

Yes I have facebook, I'll look into that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

Hello there,

I'm looking at getting a Aintree Boats narrowboat built. I want a cruiser stern and would like to know from someone who owns (or knows someone who owns) a Aintree boats cruiser or semi trad stern narrowboat and whether the drainage for the engine bay works properly?

Most Aintree boats I have seen have a channel arrangement under the deck boards which is then reaches a drain hole and is piped to the sides of the boat. 

This is a fairly common system in narrowboats, and only falls down if the channels or pipes become blocked.....clearing these several times a year is good practice, especially in autumn if the rear deck is not covered. 

Theres is usually a bilge pump as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Most Aintree boats I have seen have a channel arrangement under the deck boards which is then reaches a drain hole and is piped to the sides of the boat. 

This is a fairly common system in narrowboats, and only falls down if the channels or pipes become blocked.....clearing these several times a year is good practice, especially in autumn if the rear deck is not covered. 

Theres is usually a bilge pump as well.

True, they work well if kept clean and rust free, BUT if the boat is moored with a list, they don't! From my experience anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People either love em or hate em, but a pram hood or tonneau cover would stop the water getting to the engine covers in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Mack said:

People either love em or hate em, but tonneau cover would stop the water getting to the engine covers in the first place.

Although slightly inconvenient when cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Although slightly inconvenient when cruising.

Do people cruise in the rain, I thought I was the only one which is why I have a trad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do people cruise in the rain, I thought I was the only one which is why I have a trad

 

There's an infamous photo of Cath Fincher on a BCN challenge ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do people cruise in the rain, I thought I was the only one which is why I have a trad

 

Yes, we'd always cruise in the rain, I'd have the pram-hood up and when we got to a lock SWMBO would disembark with an umbrella, only fair really.

  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

Yes, we'd always cruise in the rain, I'd have the pram-hood up and when we got to a lock SWMBO would disembark with an umbrella, only fair really.

How do you wangle that?

 

Always the reverse on our boat, and having a brolly to keep you dry whilst doing the locks is about as effective as having a chocolate fireguard to stop coals dropping on your rug.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Liverpool boat and the channels around the deckboards are a bit too shallow. Most of the time they can cope with the rain as long as channels and the downpipes are clear, but in a real downpour they get overwhelmed and sometimes I find a puddle of water on the uxter plate on one side and a puddle on the base plate. 

 

They should have built it with deeper channels, but it's no biggy. I just keep some nappies down there and change them occasionally. Compared to the engine bays on some canal boats I've seen mine is pretty dry.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do people cruise in the rain, I thought I was the only one which is why I have a trad

 

I would only do it when strictly necessary and wear my motorbike waterproofs. I see people cruising past in the rain sometimes and they're obviously much keener than me. I'd rather be comfortable onboard in the dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

 

Oi! @Dr Bob calls them ecofans ...

Mmmmmmm.......I need to buy one for the new boat. The old one seems to have ..........melted???!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

How do you wangle that?

 

Always the reverse on our boat, and having a brolly to keep you dry whilst doing the locks is about as effective as having a chocolate fireguard to stop coals dropping on your rug.......

You need a small boy or a butler to hold it for you

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.