Anyone we know?

GUMPY

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Plastic noddy boat (oh I Better not say that if naughty Cal is around)

You do realise that some GRP boats can be quite large ;

British "Hunt Class"

Hunt Class Minesweeper / Minehunter - Naval Technology

Russian :

Russia will launch the Vladimir Yemelyanov on May 30 claiming the minesweeper to be the world's largest hull made of monolithic fiberglass.

She is being built at the Sredne-Nevsky shipyard in St. Petersburg and is anticipated to be delivered to the Russian Black Sea Fleet in 2020.

Russia plans to build about 40 such vessels - the first, Alexander Obukhov, was delivered in 2016, and the second, Ivan Antonov, was delivered in 2018. Two more of the Alexandrit-class vessels are under construction at the yard.

The ship's monolithic fiberglass hull was formed by vacuum infusion and has a much lower mass than metal. This significantly increases its strength, says the Russian Navy. “Such a body is not afraid of corrosion, and the service life, subject to the norms of operation, is practically unlimited.” 

The ship has a displacement of 890 tons, length of 62 meters (203 feet), width of 10 meters (33 feet), full speed of 16 knots and a crew of 44. To combat mines, she is capable of deploying various types of trawls as well as remote-controlled and autonomous underwater vehicles.

Vladimir Yemelyanov minesweeper

5 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Yes where I used to work we made GRP  mouldings for the type 45 destroyers.

Welsh male voice choir or barbershop?

Nay, lad too far West for the quality of the Welsh and certainly not barbershop - just something t' middle... 

56 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Yes where I used to work we made GRP  mouldings for the type 45 destroyers.

...and I worked for BP Chemicals in the 70's developing the resins that we sold to Vosper Thornycroft to build the minehunters. They weren't plastic though as per the one aground above. That spoils the story though.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Yep, I'm not keeping up either.

Strangely niether am I.

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

What type of boat is it ? All plastic boats look alike to me ;)

That'll be a bit like narrowboats then?