Much needed kick up the *rse needed?

NB DW

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

strangers are the best people to give non judgemental advice... (mostly) , OP has been pretty open about everything...

Mmmm. 

I think that encapsulates my point.

3 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

I think it would be fair to say that there are more 'reasons' to live on a narrowboat now than ever before.  Whether it's a good idea or not is another issue.

I think the big issue is that things are changing, the towpaths are becoming high speed cycleways and its not nice, all the lovely wildlife and remoteness is getting pushed aside, and there are more people here for cheap housing who don't really like the lifestyle or contribute to the community, so do it now while its still here?   but maybe that's not a good long term investment? We have spent a lot of time in a lot of places, and places we would never have known wihtout boat living. If we do move onto the land one day we will have a much better idea of where it might be. If everybody spent two or three years CC'ing the country would be a wiser place.

.................Dave

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think the big issue is that things are changing, the towpaths are becoming high speed cycleways and its not nice, all the lovely wildlife and remoteness is getting pushed aside, and there are more people here for cheap housing who don't really like the lifestyle or contribute to the community, so do it now while its still here?   but maybe that's not a good long term investment? We have spent a lot of time in a lot of places, and places we would never have known wihtout boat living. If we do move onto the land one day we will have a much better idea of where it might be. If everybody spent two or three years CC'ing the country would be a wiser place.

.................Dave

Yes this... it's probably the best way to get to know your country, quickly... well, England at least ;)  The business of overcrowding is a bigger issue for a different thread, but if everyone remembers to smile and not assume the worst, I'm sure we'll be fine... for a bit.

6 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Go for it. If black lives matter get their way and end capitalism, as is their ambition, the alternative of an isa will become worthless. When capitalism ends physical things will be everything, paper things nothing.

A genuine request, can you keep this stuff to the threads about BLM and politics and not potentially spread the bickering onto other threads

• Greenie 4

23 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

A genuine request, can you keep this stuff to the threads about BLM and politics and not potentially spread the bickering onto other threads

I can see what you mean; but in this case "this stuff" is entirely relevant to the OP's question and to the interesting and informative discussion that's been going on for the last couple of pages.

Having made his point, I'm sure that WC won't feel the need to make it again in this thread.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I can see what you mean; but in this case "this stuff" is entirely relevant to the OP's question and to the interesting and informative discussion that's been going on for the last couple of pages.

Having made his point, I'm sure that WC won't feel the need to make it again in this thread.

That's fair.

I've had a pretty sleepless night over what to do.

Taking on a lodger but not living in the property full-time could become a problem if I were ever to take on a difficult lodger who I wanted to move on.  From what I've read it's generally accepted the landlord may not live there from time to time for short periods (source: Gov UK).  Since I won't be then it could be argued the tenant would actually be covered by an assured tenancy agreement which gives them all sorts of rights that a lodger wouldn't be have. 

I'd rather start off down the right path from the get-go so I've not got the worry over 'what if' and anxiety.  It'd ruin the whole experience and point of getting another boat.

So it looks like it's a let in full or nothing.

My other worry is re-mortgaging/credit etc since I won't have a residential address and therefore nothing to continue to build my credit file on.  I'd have no council tax or utilities or anything lenders usually ask for.  I could use my dad's address potentially instead potentially.

I'm not sure how others have gone on with this sort of thing - I'd be keen to hear...

As soon as I tell my mortgage lender the property is let then presumably they'll need an alternative address. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

also since OP is male, he should spend his money before feminists take over the world which is happening in 2021 according to mayan calendar /s  

Edited by restlessnomad

17 minutes ago, NB DW said:

I could use my dad's address potentially instead

Be aware of possible council tax liabilities if you do that.  If your dad is getting single person discount and you're down on the electoral roll as living there it could have an adverse impact on him.

22 minutes ago, NB DW said:

I've had a pretty sleepless night over what to do.

Taking on a lodger but not living in the property full-time could become a problem if I were ever to take on a difficult lodger who I wanted to move on.  From what I've read it's generally accepted the landlord may not live there from time to time for short periods (source: Gov UK).  Since I won't be then it could be argued the tenant would actually be covered by an assured tenancy agreement which gives them all sorts of rights that a lodger wouldn't be have. 

I'd rather start off down the right path from the get-go so I've not got the worry over 'what if' and anxiety.  It'd ruin the whole experience and point of getting another boat.

So it looks like it's a let in full or nothing.

My other worry is re-mortgaging/credit etc since I won't have a residential address and therefore nothing to continue to build my credit file on.  I'd have no council tax or utilities or anything lenders usually ask for.  I could use my dad's address potentially instead potentially.

I'm not sure how others have gone on with this sort of thing - I'd be keen to hear...

As soon as I tell my mortgage lender the property is let then presumably they'll need an alternative address. 

think you are overthinking it... find a lodger now before moving to boat full time, build a rapport...

even if somehow the person turns out to be evil you still have access to your house.

I dont like all or nothing at all, unnecessary risk. 

your original plan is excellent.

Edited by restlessnomad

4 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I was going to say exactly this... get a uni student...

Great minds.

...but don't watch any repeats of 'The Young Ones' or you may have nightmares.

19 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Be aware of possible council tax liabilities if you do that.  If your dad is getting single person discount and you're down on the electoral roll as living there it could have an adverse impact on him.

Council tax liability is based on who lives at the property. There are rules as to what constitutes living somewhere, these don't include people who use an address for correspondence purposes only. It is possible that a local authority could pick up on this and if someone was getting a single person discount, increase the bill. This might prove to be a bit of a hassle but at the end of the day they couldn't increase the bill, doing so would be against the law. 

2 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

This might prove to be a bit of a hassle but at the end of the day they couldn't increase the bill, doing so would be against the law

Indeed. Hence why I suggested that OP be aware of the (possible) issue. 

I had various lodgers over seven years up until a few years ago. A few turned into really good friends, a few were before they moved in and remained so during and after, one was a lovely French guy, trainee teacher, he found the ad on Gumtree. Only one (local guy) was a nightmare, gave him notice, changed the locks on the day and allowed him supervised access with a witness (female friend who had a door security licence) to collect his stuff. Unbeknownst to me and the people who knew him previously, he was a serious cokehead and gangsters turned up at the door. Much easier to get shut there than if the person was a tenant.

7 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Council tax liability is based on who lives at the property. There are rules as to what constitutes living somewhere, these don't include people who use an address for correspondence purposes only. It is possible that a local authority could pick up on this and if someone was getting a single person discount, increase the bill. This might prove to be a bit of a hassle but at the end of the day they couldn't increase the bill, doing so would be against the law. 

Somebody used an elderly relative of ours address for correspondence purposes and the relative contacted our council to explain what she was doing as she was concerned that it would impact on her single persons CT allowance.

The person she spoke to said as long as they didnt register to vote at that address then as far as the council were concerned they didnt live there, however if they did go on the electoral register at that address they would.

That was their 'measure'. How legal that was I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Somebody used an elderly relative of ours address for correspondence purposes and the relative contacted our council to explain what she was doing as she was concerned that it would impact on her single persons CT allowance.

The person she spoke to said as long as they didnt register to vote at that address then as far as the council were concerned they didnt live there, however if they did go on the electoral register at that address they would.

Their 'measure' was pragmatic for them, but illegal. 

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

But the OP wants to maintain a good credit reference, and having an address and been on the electoral role at that address is fundamental to that.

Remember the history of all this, Mrs Thatcher and the Poll tax? If you vote you pay ?

................Dave

Just now, dmr said:

But the OP wants to maintain a good credit reference, and having an address and been on the electoral role at that address is fundamental to that.

Remember the history of all this, Mrs Thatcher and the Poll tax? If you vote you pay ?

................Dave

Correct. That is why I mentioned it.

19 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I had various lodgers over seven years up until a few years ago. A few turned into really good friends, a few were before they moved in and remained so during and after, one was a lovely French guy, trainee teacher, he found the ad on Gumtree. Only one (local guy) was a nightmare, gave him notice, changed the locks on the day and allowed him supervised access with a witness (female friend who had a door security licence) to collect his stuff. Unbeknownst to me and the people who knew him previously, he was a serious cokehead and gangsters turned up at the door. Much easier to get shut there than if the person was a tenant.

I think spare room(https://www.spareroom.co.uk) is slightly better in this regard, you can also search and contact people who want a place in your area 

12 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not a criticism, but Im always intrigued by the fact that people come on social media and ask a bunch of strangers about which way to go when making a fundamentally life changing decision.

Surely people who know you best and know all your circumstances are best placed?

Sometimes its easier to discus such things with people you don't know.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, dmr said:

I was going to inform but Google does it better than me. CGT is 18 or 20%? which is not that bad though people worry about it, but who knows where tax will go in the next few years?

But, if your house is your connection to the property market while you live on a boat then CGT could be a Huge spanner in the works when you get too old/frail to live on the boat.

.............Dave

CGT is not payable on your primary residence. All the more reason to keep the house as your official home, take a lodger, not a tenant and spend 'a lot of time' on your boat. And you can continue to use the house as your correspondence address.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

CGT is not payable on your primary residence. All the more reason to keep the house as your official home, take a lodger, not a tenant and spend 'a lot of time' on your boat. And you can continue to use the house as your correspondence address.

Yes. If the op chooses a different path and CGT is payable the basic rate is 18% with a 12,000 allowance. Further allowances are available for time lived in the house as the main residence, but these recently became less generous.